Shouldn't the gforce 9600gt have a thermal protection?

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Shouldn't the geforce 9600gt have a thermal protection in case of a fan fail?

My XFX geforce 9600gt 512mb fan died (hard as a rock) and the graphic card died with it.

I really though these cards had any sort of thermal protection and shutted down in case of high temperatures detected preventing this way a catastrophic fail of the whole card...

As far as I understand it, your 9600GT does have thermal protection, just probably not what you are thinking of.
When the card detects that it is overheating, it should automatically throttle its clocks down in an attempt to contain the excessive heat.
Normally this would work in conjunction with an increase in fan speeds, keeping the GPU within operating ranges.

In your situation, I believe that thermal protection probably kicked in but, without the fan working, your singe slot cooler's tiny heat sink was still not capable of dissipating the reduced heat.
This could lead to your card burning it self out, and I do not believe that any current GPU has protection for this type of situation.

Sorry about your luck, but at least now you have an excuse to upgrade :)

In case of the Fan on the GPU failing the system should have shut off.
If that would have happened then you might have managed to save the card.
The GPU should have caused the rig to shut off the first time, in my opinion, and if you started the rig up again the second time after that without actually checking for physical faults in the rig, then the GPU fried the card in the BIOS screen mode itself.

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007

Haha funny as i thought about that :) Although i would prefer not to spend any money on hardware right now as it was serving me well.

I wen't away for 2 hours from the pc and when i got back the pc was turned off (probably for a while now). I tried to turn it on again but the psu short-circuit protection always kicked it and turned off again. I managed to learn this as when i disconnected the power cable from the card the pc turned on and the 9600gt started beeping because of the lack of energy. Measuring the cards power input it was dead shorted. After removing the heatsing i was able to notice burnmarks around the memory chips even though the pcb is black already. Also the fan was stucked due to a bad bearing that allowed the rotor to fall on the heatsink faceplate and get stuck, if i removed the heatsink faceplate the fan was able to spin but since it was stuck i believe it alone heated along with the gpu making a catastrophic fail of the whole card. Plastic between the fan and the heatsink was slightly melted as well.

It's a shame, but as said, it is time to up grade.