Problems with Bootsect and installing OS.

Robbaazz

Honorable
May 20, 2012
Hey guys, I have recently been having issues with my build so i have ordered a new motherboard and I am going to be freshly reinstalling windows 7, however I am having some issues. I have downloaded the windows 7 64-bit edition from digital river (ISO) and am using the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool to put it onto my iPod (16gb nano, which ahas been formatted). It gets to 99% and comes up with a separate window saying the Boot Sector Manipulation Tool has stopped working, after a while this closes and on the download tool, the status says: ''Files copied successfully. However, we wwere unable to run bootsect to make the USB device bootable.'' I am not sure if this is an issue of making the drive bootable as I haven't received the new motherboard, but I would like to get this out of the way so everything goes smoothly when i set up my system again. Thanks, Rob.

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
Lets go back a step. Read this http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

There is also
WHEN CREATING A BOOTABLE USB DEVICE,I AM GETTING AN ERROR ABOUT BOOTSECT

To make the USB device bootable, you need to run a tool named bootsect.exe. In some cases, this tool needs to be downloaded from your Microsoft Store account. This may happen if you're trying to create a 64-bit bootable USB device from a 32-bit version of Windows. To download bootsect:
Login to your Microsoft Store account to view your purchase history
Look for your Windows 7 purchase.
Next to Windows 7, there is an "Additional download options" drop-down menu.
In the drop-down menu, select "32-bit ISO."
Right-click the link, and then save the bootsect.exe file to the location where you installed the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool (e.g. C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Apps\Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool).
Once the file has been saved, go back to the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool to create your bootable USB device.

And a .net framework tester here http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx <-- probably won't need it since if the official installer worked, you most likely have it.

Try the above step and see if that fixes it!