Urgent: I need a $1500 gaming desktop build?

ophaq

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Hello everyone! I would appreciate it greatly if you could help me out with my problem here. You see, I will most likely be getting a gaming computer soon and since I have no idea which mobo models, GPUs (unless I look at benchmark rankings), and all that jazz are better than the others. And since they also have a bunch of technical mumbo jumbo in their names as well, things get pretty confusing. I'd say I'm a techie and still learning but at this point it gets overwhelming. Thus, I am asking you kindly to help:
A. Build a custom computer for me with the following details/specifications down below.
B. Find a computer with similar details/specifications down below.

****************************************************************************************************
Approximate Purchase Date: Sometime in mid September 2012...probably.

Budget Range: Strictly $1500 or lower (preferred $1000-1500 range).

System Usage from Most to Least Important: GAMING, surfing the internet, watching anime/YouTube videos, and well other computer stuff you do like typing (but that's a given).

Are you buying a monitor: Not yet as I already have one. But I'll probably upgrade if I say, get a $1200 PC. But I really want the best PC possible for my money.

Do you need to buy OS: No I'm assuming the PC will come with Windows 7 Home or Pro right?
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s): Newegg, Tiger Direct, Amazon, CyberPower, IBuyPower?

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU I guess with NVIDIA GPU? AMD GPUs are fine too I guess as long as they're good. Since i7s are not really worth the extra money, it would be nice if the computer had an i5 3570k or something just as good instead.

Overclocking: Maybe? I'm not too familiar with overclocking and I know it's dangerous for the hardware but if it safely makes everything fast and better then sure why not (but only if it can fit into the budget).

SLI or Crossfire: Yeah sure if it makes it faster.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1024x768 but if I get a new 23-27" LCD monitor later on it may be higher.

Additional Comments:
- I would like a quiet PC and I would prefer to have a gaming computer that can run high end games such as BF3 (I won't be playing BF3 but just for an example), SCII, Diablo III, Vindictus, Blade & Soul, Guild Wars 2, and Skyrim at the highest settings with plenty of power (and FPS) left to spare for future graphic and processing intensive games.
- Good ventilation and cooling, freebies, and efficient PSU is a big plus as well. I also want a computer that will last 5+ years (durable). Removable dust filters on the case, freebies, and pro wiring would be nice as well.
- You don't have to go all expensive on the case though. As long as it has removable dust filters, good ventilation, and enough room for all the hardware is enough. I don't really care about extra bling because I am mainly just going for durability and power, not visuals.
- It also needs to have a Wi-Fi card (because you never know when you're going to need one when your Internet shuts off), a good network card (for maximum bandwidth because my Internet is kind of bad), and very good sound card (if possible) because I'm an audiophile!

- So I think that just about covers it for additional comments. I'll edit it if I missed anything but I think I have been pretty thorough. Since I asked for a lot it may not fit into the budget but hey, I don't know that yet. XD
Oh yeah, since I'm not going to build my own PC (even though it's preferred by most people because it's cheaper but I simply do not have the time and work area to build my own. Plus, it's a hassle)...I won't mind if it's built on a custom build site like IBuyPower or CyberPower. Also, no HPs or Dells because I don't like them. :D

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I have always wanted a gaming desktop because all the laptops I have had were not good for gaming and they didn't last long due to overheating and the like. Since I'm now borrowing a friend's laptop with a broken screen and hooked up to a SHARP HDTV, I really need a new computer.
****************************************************************************************************
Thanks in advance for any help. I'll get back to you if I find the answer satisfactory. :p

g-unit1111

Titan
Oh yeah, since I'm not going to build my own PC (even though it's preferred by most people because it's cheaper but I simply do not have the time and work area to build my own. Plus, it's a hassle)...I won't mind if it's built on a custom build site like IBuyPower or CyberPower. Also, no HPs or Dells because I don't like them. :D

Most people don't like Dell or HP around here. I'm personally not the biggest fan of Cyberpower or IBUYPOWER. There's better pre built manufacturers that you could go with.

For $1500 I would suggest something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($85.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($142.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($179.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($21.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1484.74
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-15 13:17 EDT-0400)

you will have to build your own. it takes about 2-5hrs of your spare time.

if your internet goes down, your wifi goes down as well just saying

heres the parts list. the OS, apps, and games go on the SSD and other files go on the HDD
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/eHQ8

if you lived in canada, ncix can build your system for 50 bucks with windows. you can give them a call about it though. they can build it and ship it in around a week or 2

ophaq

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

That's pretty awesome but if only I could build it...

Thanks for the resources. It would be nice if I lived in Canada so that they could build it for me. But with all the waiting time, out of country calls, and the possibility of waiting an even longer time if they screw up building it or a part goes wrong, it might not be worth it. ^_^;
If I could find another builder then that would be awesome. Like I said above, I don't even have a large work area to build it on (unless I build it on the floor which i don't want to). Plus, I have no experience building PCs and I would be afraid to accidentally screw up and ruin a $400 GPU or whatever. Hence, getting it built for me may be a bit more costly but at least I won't screw up anything and have to go through the stress of plugging everything in and making everything neat.
Also, for the Wi-Fi I can just sap off my neighbors' if needed even though that isn't the best idea. Lol...

ophaq

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

I already did and it looks like a big pain lol.

g-unit1111

Titan

The only difficult part of building your own system is hooking the case wires into the motherboard. Otherwise everything else hooks into place.

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
I mentioned this in other threads but if you can't build yourself.

-there are online builders who can do a fully custom build for a fee. Prices may not be as cheap as newegg or buying parts, and it may take 3weeks before a box shows up at your door.
avadirect did my last build, and was very happy even if it did cost more.
ncix for canadians.

-if you have mom&pop computer shops around you they can do the build.
If you choose this route, be sure to negotiate and talk about pricing.
Instead of buying the parts and bringing them in because you think it will save money, many will take your newegg shopping cart printout and then will offer to at least match or sometimes beat the price. Talk it over with them about how to get the exact same build for the lowest price. It is open to some negotiation.

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
g-unit's build is really good but to fine tune:

For WiFi, consider taking a look at the Asus z77 V (and higher) motherboards, as these have integrated WiFi. Unless you have need for a very specific wifi band/technology, the asus one should be good.
If you do have the specific need for a proprietary technology, you should match your wifi card to the same brand and family of the router/access point.

Quiet : to have a quiet pc really depends on the case.
You won't get a quiet PC from the other cheaper PCbuilders unless it is fully custom, as their cases will all be tuned towards gaming.

The NZXT switch should be pretty very quiet, but if you want REALLY quiet (like if you are doing audio recording), you may need a purposefully built quiet cases that are even more dampened, (but don't cost more).

Take a look at the recs from other cases to consider from SPCR or at least same cases in those product lines (they haven't reviewed every case):
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article75-page5.html

Also be sure to choose the particular video cards pretty much will but differ. Be sure to read reviews to find the right card that maybe designed for quiet, and if you want to pay premium for that. ASUS's latest cards are quiet(but they are not the only quiet ones).

hunterpostit88

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/eJ4H
Yes you do need to buy an OS. The OS is included in that build. I put 2x 7870's but not is needed because your using a 1024x768 monitor. But you said you may get a new one then why not be future proof and XFire those. I chose that AMD GPU because it's cheaper than most for its spectacular performnce(especially in XFire). I would highly recommend it.

sheppyb

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
If you are set on not building you own, try this on - a pre-built from Origin Systems. The reviewed unit seems to fit most everything you want from $1500, except a dedicated sound card. The MoBo has integrated Wi-Fi. For a little bit more, you could add some of the silent fan options. All the components are from great manufacturers. They do a great wiring job too. If you don't like the default case color, you can also get black. I haven't bought a pre-built system for 10 years now, but this is actually one I would consider. The company seems to have a good track record too. They are also apparently in Miami, so if you live in south Florida you could probably pick it up.

A recent review on the system:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6104/origin-chronos-review-the-ultimate-lan-box

The site to purchase:
https://www.originpc.com/Configurator/d/d1.aspx?SYSTEMID=16

It is the Chronos review configuration. One of the complaints from the AnandTech reviewer was the aggressive overclock. If you went this route, you could simply ask them to tune it down a bit.

Cheers

Shep

id rather not get that system from origin. they do a good job but itx has no expandability.

get something like my build or g-units and then build it yourself. if i, a 14 year old can do it and get it up and running, you probably can to

g-unit1111

Titan
For WiFi, consider taking a look at the Asus z77 V (and higher) motherboards, as these have integrated WiFi. Unless you have need for a very specific wifi band/technology, the asus one should be good.
If you do have the specific need for a proprietary technology, you should match your wifi card to the same brand and family of the router/access point.

I wouldn't really spend the money on a motherboard with integrated wifi. A cheapo USB adapter will handle everything you need and then you come out ahead. I don't really recommend Wifi adapters on builds as they have to be compatible with the router and other networking hardware the OP has.

id rather not get that system from origin. they do a good job but itx has no expandability.

They do make some amazing laptops though. Costly, but amazing.

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Well I have it and it works well and I think it makes it pretty sleek.

As far as compatibility, I think it's a myth to discount it for compatibility, as it supports all the standards.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77V/#specifications
Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n
Supports dual band frequency 2.4/5 GHz

You are just as likely to run into the slight chance of compatibility issues getting your 3rd party adapter to work with your computer (even if it works well with your router) .

It's more of an issue if your accesspoint is running something non-standardized and proprietary; but if you were doing that you would know...

Anyway, give it a look, it doesn't matter too much, but don't base your decision on
compatibility issues.
A good reason not to buy it, is if some other mobo has either some other feature or wins on price.

ophaq

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

This is actually pretty interesting. My only problems with it is the fact that it's overclocking is like you said, agressive. If the cooling system were to fail then I would be left with a flaming box of fire (that may explode? XD). Also, since the case is so small I am wondering how good the ventilation is in it. When I looked at a CNET review (of I think an older version of it?) the wiring was done well but inside the box it looked cramped which would mean that it might not have good ventilation. Also, another concern is the future-proofness, it's ability to play high end games with a lot of FPS (it would be nice to have a good amount of reviews and video game tests done on it).

I'll keep my eyes open for other builds and premades as well before considering what I want. ^_^

EDIT: Oh yeah if I were to get this PC, should I also ask them to tune down the memory overclocking as well? And how much should I ask them to tune it down in Ghz/Voltage for the CPU and Mhz for the memory?

ophaq

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

Then why the heck did they overclock the memory in the Origin PC? Lol.

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
I would like to get you back on track and that there are more builders than just Origin, often with more choice or pricing differences.

Just because 2 people in your thread are talking about Origin, and nobody is talking about anything else, doesn't mean all of Tomshardware uses them and thinks they are the best.

anyway have fun.

farsuka

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
Honestly you should just try and build it yourself, save a ton of money, learn how to do something new etc. Just watch a youtube video or something, it's like playing with legos.