Anvesh60

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Hello, I just built my new computer and set everything up. But when I try and boot it up, my monitor (HP w1907) will just say on screen "Going to Sleep" and then it just won't display anything.

No BIOS no splash screen. Nothing.

This has happened before, and I thought it may have been a bad PSU/Mobo, but I sent both of those back and got replacements, but the problem still persists.

I've looked through google a bunch of times, and I just couldn't find any solution to my problem.

I don't know what else to do, so maybe you guys have a solution. On a side note, the monitor DOES work with my really old computer . it's a Gateway DX4200-09.

Solution

When you add a gpu, the graphics chip on the motherboard is disabled. Therefore you need to connect your monitor to the gpus' monitor I/O. If your gpu does not have a vga connection (dvi, hdmi, or dp only) you will need to get a vga adapter.

amishrabbi

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Your monitor isn't getting any input. Your graphics card might not be plugged in right. take out the graphics card and put it back in.
As Jay2tall said, you might be plugged into the onboard instead of the graphics card. Try both if you have 2 ports on your pc.
Also, you should test the monitor and cable on a different machine.
Good luck

Anvesh60

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
I'm plugging it into the VGA input on the motherboard. It's the only type of cable there is.

I am assuming you are using a DVI to VGA adapter. You use this when testing on the Gateway along with the same cable? Also, did you try both DVI ports. Sometimes you need to make sure it's port 1 or the primary port for VGA. Could be a bent pin.

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011

When you add a gpu, the graphics chip on the motherboard is disabled. Therefore you need to connect your monitor to the gpus' monitor I/O. If your gpu does not have a vga connection (dvi, hdmi, or dp only) you will need to get a vga adapter.

Solution

+1, you need to be plugging into your dedicated GPU to get video output