Unusual networking problem

spacemanjupiter

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Let's say you have some devices that you want wired, and some that are only wireless, and the wireless items can't get a good signal from the router. Also assume you can't relocate the router closer to your bedroom.

I have two computers that are wired, 2 game consoles that I want wireless, and a couple of mobile devices that are only wireless. Problem is, I can't get a good enough signal from where the router is right now which is basically a permanent fixture. I was running a long ethernet line to a 2nd router in my bedroom, which I used to broadcast a wireless signal in my room so I could connect the wireless only devices. I also had physical lines running from the 2nd router to my computers. I've done this many times in the past without problems but this time the 2nd router is interfering with the first somehow and keeps killing my internet connection after a while of usage. They are both exactly the same, Netgear wndr3300.

Can I use a switch instead of using the 2nd router? and for the wireless signal, is there such a thing as a device that simply broadcasts a wireless signal from a wired source going into it? Could I use a switch in place of the 2nd router then run a line from that to a device that can simply broadcast a signal to my wireless only devices? I am not good with networking as you can gather from my post.