Where do i attach my anti static wrist strap?

hey, I've just ordered my computer build and a anti static wrist strap but i have, no idea where to connect it?

My radiators are all painted and my case has a full painted black inside and outside..

So where should i attach it to? i want to use one because this is my first build and i don't want to mess it up! better to be safe then sorry.
18 answers Last reply
More about where attach anti static wrist strap
  1. to your wrist lol

    also to any BARE metal part in the case...
  2. Yup, make sure the cord is plugged into the PSU, and the plug from the power lead is plugged into the wall socket ,but is turned off at the wall socket switch, to give you a good ground.
  3. attach wrist strap clip to the metal rim of the case while as weaselman said "make sure the cord is plugged into the PSU, and the plug from the power lead is plugged into the wall socket ,but is turned off at the wall socket switch, to give you a good ground."
  4. okay thanks, but in my case everythings painted...?
  5. also my radiators painted too...
  6. adamyjake said:
    also my radiators painted too...



    Use a wrist strap if that is what you are most comfortable with, but I personally don't use a wrist strap. Just be super careful - touch another grounded surface periodically (if you have another computer nearby that will do); don't shuffle around in tube socks; if you have a humidifier, run it to increase the humidity in the room. If you have cats, then lock them in a bathroom or something, because otherwise they will get curious about what you are doing and walk all over your components.
  7. also i've been told not to connect the powersupply and turn it off.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKnbazLsM7g

    i've just watched his video, it's the best advice video on the whole of youtube. it's great!
  8. adamyjake said:
    also i've been told not to connect the powersupply and turn it off.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKnbazLsM7g

    i've just watched his video, it's the best advice video on the whole of youtube. it's great!



    Hi :)

    Not going to watch a video, but if it says don't connect the psu to the mains its crap....

    How do you think you are going to earth if that's not connected ? magic maybe ?

    All the best Brett :)
  9. watch the video, it explains why and it can cause death or sumthing :L its in the first 20 mins :L
  10. you want to be the same voltiage of the motherboards something.
    it also saids it's alright to use your bag as a work base, but i thought it aint anti static or something. he does a prove video that its fine 2.
  11. adamyjake said:
    watch the video, it explains why and it can cause death or sumthing :L its in the first 20 mins :L



    Hi :)

    I don't need to watch the video, I own computer shops... which do repairs...

    All the best Brett :)
  12. okay, now i dont know weather to use that way or the video way :/
  13. adamyjake said:
    okay, now i dont know weather to use that way or the video way :/


    Hi :)

    This is the way we do it in my workshops....

    mains lead plugged in to wall socket , but NOT turned on...

    Anti static strap attached to wrist at one end and any bare metal in case at other end...

    All the best Brett :)
  14. okay, thanks. I will do that! :) thanks brett
  15. adamyjake said:
    okay, thanks. I will do that! :) thanks brett


    Hi :)

    Good :)

    All the best Brett :)
  16. Ground is always present Bret, how the hell do people think circuit breakers work!, if a large current is detected on the ground where it should not be present its the part that cuts the positve part of the circuit. Its always there even if the switch is turned off at a socket. I should know this as an ex electrician.
  17. weaselman said:
    Ground is always present Bret, how the hell do people think circuit breakers work!, if a large current is detected on the ground where it should not be present its the part that cuts the positve part of the circuit. Its always there even if the switch is turned off at a socket. I should know this as an ex electrician.



    Hi :)

    I know lol, but someone told the OP to UNPLUG from the mains, in which case there is NO ground...

    All the best Brett :)
  18. Please note that Brett928S2 has been banned.

    You do NOT have to plug your power supply into the wall to ground yourself. In fact the A+ certification process will say NOT TO DO THIS. It is possible to be badly injured or killed this way. Use anti-static mat + an anti-static wrist strap. Place your unit on the anti-static mat, connect the case to the mat, and your wrist strap to the case.

    Then you are grounded.
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Build Components