Abit KV7 w/ Athlon 1800+ DDR 400 capable?

DaJackelope

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2003
I don't have the greatest setup around, but recently I've been attempting to start upgrading it. As the title states, I've got an Athlon XP 1800+ on a KV7 mobo. I had PC2100 up until a few days ago when I bought a stick of Corsair PC3200 memory. Everything went fine with the install, until I started trying to play games.

The computer gives me about 10 minutes of play time, and then it locks up on me. I tried swapping out for a different stick of the same memory (different brand) and that memory did it, too. The only difference between the two is that with the non-Corsair memory, when it locks up, it sends through the speakers a high pitched constant buzz sound. The results are the same minus the sound, though.

I am fairly certain it's a memory problem, because my computer never did this before, and I didn't change anything else. I guess I'm wondering if I'd be better off just to downgrade back to PC2100 until I get a more high end system that is built to handle the PC3200 better? Thanks in advance for replies.

sturm

Splendid
"I guess I'm wondering if I'd be better off just to downgrade back to PC2100 until I get a more high end system that is built to handle the PC3200 better?" - You answered it yourself.

Question: Why did you get 3200 memory? Where you overclocking it? If so thats why you locked up more than likely. If you werent overclocking then you wasted money on faster memory for no reason.

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
For about $200 you could get a Barton 2500 and an nForce mobo to go along with that new ram. With these parts it's fairly easy to dail up the FSB (to 200)for the cpu in the mobo. That turns your cpu into 3200+. Best bang for the buck around right now IMHO.

XP 2000+
MSI KT3 ULTRA-2 KT333
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB PC2700
ABIT G4 Ti4200 OTES 64MB
Win98SE

DaJackelope

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2003
All temps are fine. I'm thinking the problem must actually be in the chip itself? Can an 1800XP get along fine with 400mhz memory?

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
If you're using both the old and the new memory.

Take out the new memory.

Go into bios. Write down the settings for the old memory. Usually from Advanced Chipset features/Memory Timings

Record
Row-active delay (should be no less than 7)
RAS-to-CAS (should be no less than 3)
Row-precharge delay (should be no less than 3)
CAS Latency time (should be no less than 2)

Insert memory

Set Chipset Features/Memory Timings

Set FSB/DRAM ratio to userdefine and 6/6 or 1 depending on how it is set in your bios.

This should force your computer to run at the settings your old ram understands, thusly more stable.

If you’re just using the new memory
Set FSB/DRAM ratio to userdefine and 6/6
A lot of motherboards want to run the ram as fast as the ram can go. However, some motherboards don’t stop before it’s to fast for the chipset thusly they crash.

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...