Best Graphics card that can play latest game with my system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramsay

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
Hi,

I have a Asus P5Q Deluxe Motherboard, Smps Corsair 750 Watts, 2gb corsair ddr2 ram, Quad Core Q9300 processor, and a Sapphire HD 4870 which has started to overheat recently. Also, when i start the pc, there are horizontal and vertical lines on the display till the windows loading bar and then the monitor just shuts off itself as if there is no graphics card at all. I even get blue screen error if i just keep the pc as it is for 5-10 minutes stating that "driver got stuck in an infinite loop and STOP: 0x000000EA". I was once able to get to the desktop after numerous restart, and when i checked the temp, on idle the card was showing 91-92. So its definitely the card i presume which is dying and displaying horizontal lines on the screen. Its already 4 years old so warranty is a no go.

Also, when i check in the bios for the temp, in the hardware monitor, the 3.3v is reading is max to 2.96 or something but not above 3.3, rest 5.0v and 12.0v are proper by having above readings. So does this means, psu is also needed to be changed?

Apart from that, my main question remains for which budget graphics card i should go for which will play all games on high details or i can play all games on ultra settings without any lag or so. My budget for the card is Rs. 10000.

Thanks for any help.

PS: CPU temp will remain at 49 idle and mobo temp remains at 42 idle, which is fine i guess?

Ramsay

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
thanks for the recommendations, but a indian site would be preferable. how about if i up my budget for hd 6870 card which is coming in Rs. 12500 approx, will my system utilize the full power of the hd 6870? And personally, I hate nvidia cards, and since my board is crossfirex supported i will prefer to go with ATi cards only.

Also, can anyone give me tips for the psu which is having some issues, which i have mentioned in my previous post. Should i purchase a new psu or not, as per the readings.

Thank you

BIOS readings of voltage are not reliable. Although it doesn't apply a load, an inexpensive PSU tester (< $20 here) may tell you if the voltages are not correct (although it may not; such devices can identify a bad PSU, but they don't identify a good one).
Your temps are extremely high. Have you cleaned the dust out of your system recently? Is your graphics card's fan working? If you remove its heat sink, clean off then reapply thermal paste (AS5 is still among the best), your temps may go down enough that there may be life left in that card.

As long as the voltage is within +/-10% of 3.3 volts( 2.97 - 3.63) you are within the ATX spec. Also there is very little( if anything) in a modern computer that uses the 3.3V from the PSU.

As far as your temps go, 49 degrees at idle seems a bit on the high side, depending on what your ambient temperature is. How long has it been since you cleaned the dust off of (and out of!)your heat sinks and PC case? :hello:

Ramsay

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
Hello and thanks for the reply.

"jtt283" - First of, I dis-assembled the hd 4870 by taking the help of a friend. There were many dust inside the heatsink, so i cleaned it all but even after that when reseating the same on my motherboard i get horizontal lines at startup, monitor doesnt turn off when i am in bios but there are horizontal lines in bios mode as well. When i try to boot windows, it will go till the windows loading bar with horizontal lines on the screen and then suddenly, monitor shuts down with blinking green lights, but the pc will be still running and sometimes i get blue screen with the error code which i mentioned in the first post. So i guess there is not enough power left in the video card that can boot till windows login screen or windows desktop. And even if there are any juices left in this card, sooner or later i will face similar problem, considering the fact that the video card is 4 years old. So a new card would be a better idea. As mentioned - "if i up my budget for hd 6870 card which is coming in Rs. 12500 approx, will my system utilize the full power of the hd 6870?"

"clarkjd" - So you mean to say that i wouldnt need to worry about PSU for its 3.3v reading? I wont have to buy another psu ? ( some relief for me :p )

"clarkjd" - As for the CPU and mobo temp related querie, I agree that there are dust inside the cabinet that i have (NZXT), i will be cleaning it soon and cpu temp and mobo temp will return to normal i guess.

Thanks for your great assitance. :D

Ramsay

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
now am able to work @ home pc? weird. God knows till how much time i will work on same, temp reading in CCC is showing 70-71 C at idle for hd4870? I guess this card will work, will try out applying thermal paste on it.

One thing i noticed is that, i can feel to much of hot air blowing out from the heatsink of card, if i keep my hand over that side, is that bad?

Ramsay

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
One of my friend said me to use WD-40 spray on the graphics card which will absorb all the dust into evaporation or something, he noticed the chip of the card was having too much dust, with white things (probably dust). And after applying this spray, he told me to keep the card outside for 15-20 minutes so that the spray evaporates. After that he told me to apply thermal paste on the heatsink. What do you have to say about it? Any ideas upon it or suggestions are welcome.

Ramsay

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
i am not overclocking the card at all and have also deselected over-ride option in CCC. Apart from that has anyone experienced the WD-40 spray that i have spoken in the above post?

I cannot imagine that spraying a petroleum product on a graphics card could possibly be good for it. Dust should be blown off with a pressurized duster or even a compressor, but do not try to suck it off with a vacuum cleaner as that could produce damaging static.
If you remove the heat sink, clean off the old paste or pad with 91% isopropyl alcohol, re-apply a very thin layer of new paste (I use my finger in a plastic bag to spread it), then re-attach the heat sink. WD-40 should not be used. There are a lot of thermal pastes on the market. Some are a little better than others, but most of them don't suck. I use Arctic Silver-5 or MX-2. Probably the only one I wouldn't use is the generic white silicon paste.

Ramsay

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
ok, i sprayed the wd-40 on my graphics card 4870 and rubbed the internal with a dry cloth and many dust were cleaned off. Also since the spray was not evaporating quickly i kept the graphics card open for about 3 hours and then cleaned the internal surface again with a dry cloth and then applied thermal compound one the heatsink. Till now the card is working fine by remaining at 71-72 temp and there are no horizontal lines problem on the screen as well. But sooner or later i think that it will die soon.

So, as mentioned in my previous post, "if i up my budget for hd 6870 card which is coming in Rs. 12500 approx, will my system utilize the full power of the hd 6870?"

System specs -Asus P5Q Deluxe Motherboard, Smps Corsair 750 Watts, 2gb corsair ddr2 ram, Quad Core Q9300 processor.

themegadinesen

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
You need more RAM.. Something like 4GB will be enough for an HD 6870.
Other wise it will bottleneck the thing in games like BF3..
You should also overclock the CPU to like 3.0Ghz..
2.5Ghz for a Core 2 Quad is a bit limiting.. But you should be fine with for the next 2 years...

The reason that the WD40 didn't evaporate is because it isn't supposed to! :non: It's supposed to leave behind a lubricant. :ouch: That lube will not let the thermal compound work like it is meant to. :eek: You need to clean any oils (fingerprints) and lube off the surface with 91% isopropyl Alcohol, THEN apply the thermal compound. :sol:

Ramsay

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
Hi Themegadinesen - Since i have a good cabinet of NZXT, which has 8 fans, inside, but the the fan located on upside is not working, and hence i am in a tension that if i overclock the cpu then it will quickly overheat and therefore i will need to install a cooler inside as well. And because of so many wires lying here-and-there inside the cabinet, i am wondering if i will be able to adjust or fit the cooler inside. But in anyways, can you recommend a small size cooler or something which can fit inside the cabinet without it being too much big and touching the other parts inside, like the wire or something else? Also, i have 2 gb corsair ram of 800mhz, so another 2gb of same ram wont be a trouble?

Hi clarkjd - After applying the wd40, I have being using the pc for a couple of days and the graphics card temp is constant at 71-72 even playing online games like zynga poker or some other. But i still Have to check the temp while playing Resident evil operation racoon city or CS 1.6 which will let me know whether i will get that dreaded horizontal lines or high temp (kind of risky, i know). But in anycase, since i am going to throw the card away and buy a new one, i will def. check by testing the same.

Thank you for the assistance. Any more tips would be great.

Don't...

Bump posts

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/283384-33-read-first

Status
Not open for further replies.