I have been a regular visitor of this wonderful website which has helped me solve many problems in the past. Just recently My PC Slowed down considerably after which the local store tells me that my hard disk was 99% gone and hence I got a replacement. The speed seems to be normal but I am facing a new problem. As soon as I power up the system , the CPU light turns on, so do the fans and then it shuts down, repeats itself and then boots up normally every time. This problem has started after the new hard disk .
Also, I ran a test called PRIME 95 and real temp showed temperature of 100 degree C within the first 2 minutes of running the program, so I turned it off.
My specs are
Asus rampage 2 gene Motherboard
Nvidia GTX 260 graphics card
My CPU Cabinet is really cheap and has 2 fans on it. Also, I have no idea about my PSU .
I would really like to know if this is a hardware problem and what parts must I replace. Thank you. If you need any more info let me know!
Well it could be a problem with your ram and not allowing your system to post correctly or your cpu could be overheating, try to push in any pins or screw in any notches when you check your cpu to make sure its correctly in there if you want to you can try to give it a little push and see what it does if its overheating to make sure its clamped in there, and try to switch out memory locations if possible. Best of luck!
100C in 2 min means either you have very poor air flow,the heatsink is not properly installed or the thermal paste has died.
I wouldnt worry with the shutdowns for now because the way your CPU is overheating you can kill it very fast.If the pc was assembled at a store I would take it there as soon as possible and wouldnt turn it on until the cpu heat problems are gone.
The shutdowns can be from your CPU heating you fast(doubtful if it reboots after being off for hours),ram(simply because there are dead sectors that the mobo can't read) or your PSU dying.
But first go fix the overheat problem.And get some fans in the case,it really helps to keep all your components from overheating and therefore starting to malfunction.
THank you guys for the quick responses. I am not very good with computers to be honest and so cannot tell you for sure whether my heatsink is ok , I did log onto the bios page and did not understand much. Though here are a few things
Boot settings config
Quick boot enabled
Full screen logo enabled
Add on ROM display mode -- Force Bios
Tuning mode -- Extreme OC
CPU level- auto
Memory level up-- Auto
CPU TUrbo power Limit-- Enabled
Mem recheck- enabled.
Also, Real temp shows my CPU temperate at 50 degree C at 1.6% load.
I guess my option is to head to the store to get a new PSU and cabinet. Correct? Is there any way to tell if my Motherboard or processor is affected? Thanks again. Sorry for being such a noob haha