7970 Crashing Furmark & Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakalakn

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Hi Guys...
PC has started to crash to a Black Screen on all games after a couple of minutes. Tried Furmark which gave me the same black screen crash, roughly same amount of time. Temps seem okay, GPU was around 70C - 72C right before crash. Non-gaming use has no issues.
I can actually predict the crash in Furmark ...thats how consistant it is.

Screen goes black: This happens during gameplay and in Furmark and in game main menus.

Audio looping: The last sound will loop quickly (buzzing effect) until the computer is rebooted.

Everything unresponsive: Only solution is to manually restart with reset button on case.

NO CPU OC`s. Only Factory OC of GPU(XFX 7970). Please help....

Thanks
J

Specs:
GPU: XFX 7970 BE DD (factory OC)
CPU:i7 3820 No OC.
MOB:Rampage IV Formula
MEM:16Gb Dominator GT
PSU:AX1200
Catalyst Drivers 12.4

jakalakn

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Ye been totally stable since 12.3 and 12.4... no issues.
MEM too? ...been piling up on a list of things to try tonight...lol.

Got to be done if i want it fixed.. :pt1cable:

sl4y3r

Honorable
May 3, 2012

Add RAM, Update MB BIOS, Check PSU , Install 12.6 to your to do list. :p

All the best !!

Its the RAM IMO

jakalakn

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012

Ye... gonna be a late one... :heink:
Cheers!

joedjnpc

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
I had the exact issue with my 7970 months ago when I first got it, I tried literally everything, tested my RAM and all, thought it was a faulty card :(!

Eventually I used driver sweaper and installed the drivers that came with the card (the CD), it made my problems go away. I updated to the latest drivers shortly after that and I had no problems from then on.

I just assumed I was missing a dll or had some unfriendly dll left over from my 5870, not too knowledgable about all that, but no problems since!!

Try the 12.6 beta drivers, 12.7 should be out in the next week too.

Hope that helps!

jakalakn

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012

Wow... first bit of good...ish news I had all day.... tried sweeping my ATI drivers and went as far back as 12.3.... but will try the disk that came with the card tonight. What sweeper did you use?

inerax

Distinguished
I had the same problem with my PC. I am running dual 6950's. found it was a bad ram slot on my mobo :(

I pulled everything i could. Down to 1 card, 1 stick of ram and it was fine. I ran test after test with no problem.

Moved my ram stick to slot 2 and BAM, getting black screen and reboot. Did not happen in any other slot.

RussK1

Splendid
1) Download Driver Sweeper here.
2) Download Catalyst 12.6beta drivers here but don't install.
3) Custom uninstall all AMD software and select everything and reboot.
4) Run Driver Sweeper and clean AMD drivers and reboot.
5) Re-install CCC and reboot.

jakalakn

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Bit of an Update after last night....
Test Notes:

Uninstalled CCC, Updated BIOS, Swept drivers in safe mode, Installed XFX7970 disk drivers, Tried 12.6 CCC, Tried 1 stick of RAM, Took XFX card out and installed it again, Tried it in another compatible slot, Tried new cables, Tried Reference 7970 clock and MEM settings....

Tested at every step and Still Crashes in Furmark and Games. Furmark crashes at Exactly 72.9C...every time.

joedjnpc

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Jesus dude, that's a lot of testing.

I know you've done a lot, I went through a similar process, it's very frustrating. Some anti virus and firewalls can interfer with driver installs ( I actually ended up talking to someone from AMD when this was happening to me). So after removing your drivers in safe mode when you reboot plug out your net and disable your anti virus.

To be honest there's a very slim chance that's the problem, at this stage if I were you I'd reinstall windows...

Sorry man

sl4y3r

Honorable
May 3, 2012

Hopefully you have a secondary Rig or a Friend close by who's PC you can throw the card into to verify a faulty card.

Otherwise an OS re install. Though its leaning towards a Hardware issue

jakalakn

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Thanks guys.... Know a guy at an IT company next to us that can check it for me before I try a windows reinstall.... seriously trying to put that off...lol!!

jakalakn

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012

So Uninstall all drivers and sweep before install again ...or just update?

jakalakn

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Just been issued an RMA code from XFX.... Checking the card on another machine tomorrow morning.... if it doesn't work then sending this bad boy off....

....but if it does....

....guess Ill be starting all over again ....lol!!!

jakalakn

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Thought I'd Update quick....

Managed to check the card on another system and it did the same thing.
XFX got that card back and after 3 weeks say that the card is not faulty?????

At a loss at the moment.....

Scan say they will test it for me before sending it back to me.....

........????

sl4y3r

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Man this is so strange.Anyway you can return it and get another card. What PSU did the other system have ?Also did it crash at the same place in Futuremark as it crashed on ur system ?

jakalakn

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Na mate... XFX have to sign off that the card is faulty before anyone gives me a new card back...

Not sure about the PSU but will check.

He tested with MSI Kombustor and it crashed at 75C vs my 72C

jakalakn

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
He was running an ANTEK Gamer 800 PSU.
Only similarities was that he had Corsair Vengeance vs my Corsair Dom.GT's

But he's we clued up on Hardware/Software (IT) and says the MEM shouldn't have any impact.

Neither of us had CPU or MEM OC's
.....so very weird indeed.

I don't think XFX tested properly...!

jakalakn

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Will update again ... if it's not the card I'm sure the discussion about what the cause could be might heat up again....lol

juanmvallejo

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
Hi jakalakn, did you find any solution to this? I'm actually going through the exact same issue right now and would like to know how it went for you.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.