Screen "resets"

hoefski

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2012
I hope this is the right forum. About 2 weeks ago I purchased a new computer and have been gaming pretty consistantly with no problems. I recently tried sitting down and watching some episodes of a TV show and noticed a frustrating occurence on my tv, every 5-10 mins my screen "Resets" for lack of a better word. For a second the sound cuts out and the display options appear in the top right portion of the screen as if you just turned it on or switched inputs. I have tried VLC and WMP and both of them seem to do it, I did notice it did this once or twice when I originally started playing Diablo but it has not happened since then, only when I am watching something.

My last computer was hooked up to the exact same TV but through a VGA type hookup not HDMI, so I dont think its the TV but am not quite sure what the problem is. Whilst writing this I also experienced 3 of these resets which it has not been doing while I have been performing regular tasks. Does anyone have any idea what would be causing this? I am running a PowerColor Radeon 7850 hooked up to a lower quality tv (Dynex 32" 60hz). If you need any more information please just ask I am starting to get a bit frustrated even though its not a huge deal its a bit annoying to try watch anything with it always "jumping".

check that you have the newest video and sound card and network drivers. also check that your flash is up to date on the browser you use. also check that you have updated dvix or other plug in as most online avi video is compresses with one of those codaxs.if it still skips try turning off hardware acceleration in flash. also make sure your using the video card hdmi port and not the mb built in port. (run open hardware check the computer gpu and cpu temps and see if the they used a good power supply). a power supply that is cheap can send dirty power or ac ripples into a pc mb and cause it to lock up. i would also run from a boot cd or usb stick memtest to see if the ram is fine. as this is a new build was it shipped to you?? if it was i would power down the pc and uplug the power supply from the wall so that the mb drains then i would open the case and check that the video card and ram are seated.

hoefski

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2012
Thanks for the quick reply. I have tried updating my latest video drivers from Powercolor themselves but its impossible to get any D/L's from their site so I re-installed the latest Catalyst drivers directly from AMD.com. I am using a ASRock Z77 PRO4 ATX LGA1155 mobo with onboard sound and network and for PSU a OCZ ZT Series 550W ATX12V. There are about 15 different driver updates for this mobo and once again the site is being troublesome trying to dl from so I am a little confused as to which ones exactly I should be installing, although I do know I have the latest version of VIRTU MVP. http://www.asrock.com/MB/download.asp?Model=Z77 Pro4&o=Win764 This is a link to the drivers, could you reccomend any specific ones or should I download them all?

I built this computer myself, it was my first ever build and I took it into a computer shop to make sure everything was done right. I am not quite completely computer savvy but I have basic knowledge so I attempted to do your reccomendations. I updated my flash and divx, checked the connection, checked the CPU and GPU temps, I am sure the parts are seated. I guess the only thing I dont know how to do is the boot memtest to see if the ram is fine. I will do a little reading and see if I can attempt this. I will report back once I finish completing the rest.

hoefski

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2012

Sorry to bump this thread but after 2-3 days this problem re-appeared until I realized that if I left tribes ascend open in the background and just minimized it, it made these resets completely stop. However it has become a little annoying to have to leave it open all the time to be honest and was wondering if anyone would have an idea exactly what would be causing this? I can live with this problem but thought perhaps to someone more knowledgeable than me this might be an indication of where my issue lies. Thanks for your time.

hoefski

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2012
well after some time my Dynex 32" monitor pooched on me after these issues I have been having with this new comp/monitor combo. Initially one day the screen just went black and I had to unplug it for about an hour before it started working again, then it got into a phase where it would go black and I would have to smack it for it to work again. This lasted probably a week before it finally is just always black.

The thing is im a poor student with no real money atm to buy another monitor, so my dad who happens to own the exact same model of Dynex tv lent me his to use for now. Here is where my question comes in, the monitor has the exact same issues with the screen resets unless tribes is open blah blah blah same as before. I am worried that it was perhaps the computer/video card that killed the monitor in the first place and I will slowly kill this one just the same. I have also noticed that if I unmute my sound it also does these screen resets. Could it possibly be the sound coming through my HDMI cord from the vid card into my TV that is just not jiving properly? Is it possible that the computer is literally killing these monitors? Is it possible my video card is just a bad apple and I perhaps need to *gasp* shop for another one after dropping 250 on this one. I guess all these could be possible I just really want a knowledgeable opinion on what could be the cause of my problems and if my comp is to blame. Thanks for your time.