Sign in with
Your question

What PSU for new Core i7 system?

Last response: in Systems
August 15, 2012 9:29:08 PM

Hi guys

I am planning to order my new build in a couple of days time. I plan on using it for programming (I'm a .NET developer), gaming, media, Web design and such. I had my heart set on the 2011 platform, but I will never really utilize it and cannot justify it. Here is a list of my parts that I will order:

• Corsair Enthusiast Series V2 TX750 PSU – 750w
• ASRock Extreme 4 Z77 LGA 1155
• Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5 GHz LGA 1155 Processor
• Corsair DDR3-1600 4GB Vengeance Memory Module
• Coolermaster Storm Trooper (Windowed)
• Vizo Led strips – RED
• Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance CPU Cooler

Lastly, I plan on getting a Sapphire HD7850 pci-e 3 2gb 256-bit Video card.

My question is just, would the 750w PSU be enough to power this build and still leave a little room for possible future CPU overclock. I don't plan on running Crossfire in future. Maybe in 4/5 years time when I do go over to a new platform (2011) that can run x16/x16 pci-e gen3 then, but not with this platform.

So, Enthusiast series 750? Or should I go lower to a 650? I read that the higher your Wattage is on a quality PSU, the more efficient your system will run?

Any help would be greatly appreciated?

More about : psu core system

August 15, 2012 9:38:43 PM

I would stick with the 750 it will do you well
m
l
August 15, 2012 9:58:56 PM

A high wattage PSU won't be more efficient.

Don't mean to sound patronising but a more efficient PSU will be more efficient. Also, all of them will be most efficient between 50-80% load. That system at the moment would pull about 250W under load, more like 500W with dual cards and a big overclock.

I would get:

400W if not overclocking or Crossfiring
500W if overclocking but not Crossfiring
650W if Crossfiring and overclocking

750W will still be fine though.

This is a bargain at $119.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources
August 15, 2012 10:55:13 PM

For a year and a half I used an Antec 750 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... It started making a little ticking noise so I needed a replacement. I found the Seasonic jmsellars1 is mentioning. I would recommend against that particular model. I bought one last December and experienced coil whine like so many other reviewers (take a look at the reviews). The warranty is good so I will eventually send it back. Probably when I rebuild. Antec was awesome and sent me a brand new unit to replace my first PSU. Replaced the Seasonic and no more coil whine.

Back to the OP's question. 750w sounds about right. You could google PSU calculator and have some fun with it. Like this one. http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/
m
l
August 16, 2012 7:00:44 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah, funny there just seems to be a bit of confusion about this. I have done a lot of research regarding PSU's in the last bit. Thanks jmsellars1, I will have a look at them. Whiteodian, thanks also. Yeah, I thought a 750w is about right. Its just funny how different Power supply calculators give completely different results. But the general results vary between 400-500w minimum recommended power supply.

No problem jmsellars, I know that getting a good quality 500w rather than a really bad quality 1000w Power supply will be better and more efficient. We get Huntkey's and Gigabytes over here, not even looking at those models.

Either Sea Sonic, Antec or Corsair. Corsair most likely due to availability over here.
m
l
!