Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Should I buy a better cooler?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
a b à CPUs
December 30, 2012 4:53:27 PM

Hey guys, I plan on replacing my beloved Pentium 4 rig with a more modern Pentium based config, either with a G860 or a Haswell based Pentium of a similar clockspeed, and I was just gonna ask, should I keep the stock cooler, or a buy a better one? I want the best cooling possible, but I don't know how well the stock cooler is with the Pentium - I know it's garbage with lets say, a 3570K, but it maybe different with something like the G860 or the G630. Any advice would be appreciated, SUPER excited to be replacing my P4 setup with another Pentium to keep the legend alive. :D 

More about : buy cooler

a b à CPUs
December 30, 2012 5:08:09 PM

Hi :) 

RETAIL cpus come with a heatsink/fan ...OEMS dont

All the best Brett :) 
a b à CPUs
December 30, 2012 5:11:12 PM

Brett, it is a retail CPU I'm getting xD Not the question I was asking - I was asking if I should use the heatsink & fan with the Pentium, or buy a better one - I don't know how well the stock one cools the Pentium.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 30, 2012 5:13:48 PM

payturr said:
Brett, it is a retail CPU I'm getting xD Not the question I was asking - I was asking if I should use the heatsink & fan with the Pentium, or buy a better one - I don't know how well the stock one cools the Pentium.



Hi :) 

Use the stock cooler as long as NO overclocking ...

All the best Brett :) 
a b à CPUs
December 30, 2012 5:19:32 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Use the stock cooler as long as NO overclocking ...

All the best Brett :) 

Do you know how the temps are with the stock cooler and a G860?
a b à CPUs
December 30, 2012 5:20:29 PM

payturr said:
Do you know how the temps are with the stock cooler and a G860?


Hi :) 

Nope but it doesn't matter, at stock speeds the stock cooler will be fine...

All the best Brett :) 
a b à CPUs
December 30, 2012 5:23:05 PM

Well I wanna get the best temps possible, just because I wanna make this upgrade a memorable one - my P4 is a Prescott so it gets very hot, I wanna see very low temps for load on my new Pentium set up.
a b à CPUs
December 30, 2012 5:32:06 PM

payturr said:
Well I wanna get the best temps possible, just because I wanna make this upgrade a memorable one - my P4 is a Prescott so it gets very hot, I wanna see very low temps for load on my new Pentium set up.


Hi :) 

Take my word you wont get a Prescott to run cool...not ever lol...

That was the reason that Intel stopped increasing their speed past 3600...they just COULDN'T keep them cool lol...

All the best Brett :) 
!