Power Supply update

Status
Not open for further replies.

madrude

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
While I was waiting to get all my parts for my new build our home computers PSU took a dump so I gave my Corsair tx750 to that computer and was going to order the same one but now that i have a little more $ I was going to get one that would be good for my Sapphire 7970 3g and still be able to run 7970s in crossfire I also would like modular. I did some looking around on the forums and other places but everyone seems to be saying different things about how much power u really need so my question is.. How much Power do I really need and if you could recommend a good psu I was looking at Corsairs Ax850 Gold if thats good for 2 7970s.

AsRock z77 Extreme 4

Intel i5 3570K (wanted to ovc a little)

Corsair H50 Cooler

Corsair Vengance 1600 2x4 Memory

Sapphire 3g 7970 (crossfire soon)

SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 128gb ssd

Western Digital 1TB 7200 rpm Black Caviar hdd

Thanx.

Solution
For a system using two Radeon HD 7970 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode AMD specifies a minimum of an 750 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 59 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin and two 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C is the most important factor.

The Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 (CMPSU-850AX), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 70 Amps and with four (6+2)-pin PCI...
For a system using two Radeon HD 7970 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode AMD specifies a minimum of an 750 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 59 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin and two 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C is the most important factor.

The Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 (CMPSU-850AX), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 70 Amps and with four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with two Radeon HD 7970 in 2-way CrossFire mode.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.