Sign in with
Your question

Is it time for me to upgrade?

Last response: in Systems
August 15, 2012 10:24:26 PM

I currently have a Dell XPS 630i. I have thought about in the past upgrading the motherboard to upgrade the cpu but have decided that if I am going to upgrade it's going to be a fresh start. Internally the Dell XPS 630i has an intel core 2 quad @ 2.4ghz. Ram is 8GB ddr2 and 5200 rpm hard drive. The graphics card I recently upgraded to a gtx 570 superclocked. I actually did not see any performance gain when I upgraded from a radeon 5830. My windows index rating even went down. This pc is mainly used for gaming and watching videos. The pc still runs great and plays games pretty great. At this point I am wondering if it's time for me to upgrade. If so I am going to upgrade to an i5 3570k with the same amount of ram, a 7200 rpm, possibly an ssd, and most likely I am going to continue to use the gtx 570. At this point it's going to cost me about 600$ for the exact parts I am going to get. I just can't figure out if it's justified to completely upgrade yet even though I have had this XPS for I think 3-4 years about. I am going to be playing Guild Wars 2 and Borderlands 2 coming up the end of August. I am thinking these games will still run good on my current cpu but the impluse buyer in me wants a new computer. Also if I do upgrade completely is it worth it for me to overclocked the i5 from 3.4 to 4.0ghz of course with an upgraded cpu cooler.

More about : time upgrade

August 15, 2012 10:29:37 PM

Quote:
I currently have a Dell XPS 630i. I have thought about in the past upgrading the motherboard to upgrade the cpu but have decided that if I am going to upgrade it's going to be a fresh start. Internally the Dell XPS 630i has an intel core 2 quad @ 2.4ghz. Ram is 8GB ddr2 and 5200 rpm hard drive. The graphics card I recently upgraded to a gtx 570 superclocked. I actually did not see any performance gain when I upgraded from a radeon 5830.

That probably has to do with your 5200 RPM hard drive. The WEI is kind of a baseless benchmark - they're not really used to indicate anything other than what DX10/11 requires.

Quote:
. If so I am going to upgrade to an i5 3570k with the same amount of ram, a 7200 rpm, possibly an ssd, and most likely I am going to continue to use the gtx 570.

You can definitely reuse as much as you want - an SSD will greatly benefit this system.
m
l
August 15, 2012 10:55:48 PM

I would say that it's the right time to upgrade for you. Gamers need to upgrade their systems more often than other folks, and if this rig is a dedicated gaming/media rig, then it's time for a new build. There's definitely something to be said for squeezing as much life from an older rig as possible, but it has to be reasonable. 3-4 years for a gaming rig is a relatively long lifespan IMO. Another reason I think that it's a good time for you to build is the fact that you just bought a GTX 570. It's a great card and all, but it will quickly fade into becoming an underpowered/power hungry card and you'll want to take advantage of it's performance while you still can. Clearly you aren't able to do with your current setup as you said yourself. However, the final decision comes down to what you want. Are you happy with your PC's gaming performance? Are you happy with the resolution you're playing at? One thing to keep in mind is that, if you are more or less content with your current setup, waiting for Haswell might not be the worst of decisions either right now. That would give you the option to build a rig comparable to the one you want now, but you'll have the option to upgrade it as new CPUs come out for years to come. If you get Ivy Bridge now, you'll already have the best that socket 1155 has to offer. That being said, I believe the argument to upgrade now, in your particular case, is stronger at the moment.
m
l
Related resources
August 15, 2012 11:18:48 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Quote:
I currently have a Dell XPS 630i. I have thought about in the past upgrading the motherboard to upgrade the cpu but have decided that if I am going to upgrade it's going to be a fresh start. Internally the Dell XPS 630i has an intel core 2 quad @ 2.4ghz. Ram is 8GB ddr2 and 5200 rpm hard drive. The graphics card I recently upgraded to a gtx 570 superclocked. I actually did not see any performance gain when I upgraded from a radeon 5830.

That probably has to do with your 5200 RPM hard drive. The WEI is kind of a baseless benchmark - they're not really used to indicate anything other than what DX10/11 requires.

Quote:
. If so I am going to upgrade to an i5 3570k with the same amount of ram, a 7200 rpm, possibly an ssd, and most likely I am going to continue to use the gtx 570.

You can definitely reuse as much as you want - an SSD will greatly benefit this system.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciated the input and will definitely consider an SSD.
m
l
August 15, 2012 11:26:10 PM

Augray37 said:
I would say that it's the right time to upgrade for you. Gamers need to upgrade their systems more often than other folks, and if this rig is a dedicated gaming/media rig, then it's time for a new build. There's definitely something to be said for squeezing as much life from an older rig as possible, but it has to be reasonable. 3-4 years for a gaming rig is a relatively long lifespan IMO. Another reason I think that it's a good time for you to build is the fact that you just bought a GTX 570. It's a great card and all, but it will quickly fade into becoming an underpowered/power hungry card and you'll want to take advantage of it's performance while you still can. Clearly you aren't able to do with your current setup as you said yourself. However, the final decision comes down to what you want. Are you happy with your PC's gaming performance? Are you happy with the resolution you're playing at? One thing to keep in mind is that, if you are more or less content with your current setup, waiting for Haswell might not be the worst of decisions either right now. That would give you the option to build a rig comparable to the one you want now, but you'll have the option to upgrade it as new CPUs come out for years to come. If you get Ivy Bridge now, you'll already have the best that socket 1155 has to offer. That being said, I believe the argument to upgrade now, in your particular case, is stronger at the moment.

Thanks for the input. I think your opinion helps me closer to making a decision. I do have a question about how you said the GTX 570 will become a power hungry card. What exactly do you mean by that? I understand that The card is already dated compared to the 600 series. I am currently playing at a 1080p resolution with decent fps on most games. Since I have never played the same games on a better rig I have nothing really for comparison to know what I'm missing and if it's worth the money to have it. I read a lot of forums and it seems that the i5 3570k should last me for a while. As you said though I am now realizing that the same thing will be happening to me again, I will be once again having the best cpu for it's socket and will have to completely change my mobo again or start over. Haswell is something I have not really read up on can you explain any benefits. Thanks.
m
l
August 16, 2012 1:21:24 AM

bleachhead2 said:
I am currently playing at a 1080p resolution with decent fps on most games. Since I have never played the same games on a better rig I have nothing really for comparison to know what I'm missing and if it's worth the money to have it.

The games you are playing aren't terribly taxing on a system, and therefore you are able to get decent fps. however, what if you decide you would like to play a game that exposes the weaknesses of your CPU? This leads us to the real core of the problem IMHO, which is that you're not even able to take advantage of your 570 due to you CPU. You are exactly right in the fact that you'll once again have the best CPU for it's socket if you upgrade to Ivy Bridge, but from my understanding, the first generation Haswell will not be a huge step up in performance compared to Ivy Bridge. It's real strength to me is in the fact that you will be able to upgrade it for several years to come after its initial release, whereas if you get an i5-3570k you'll be close to the best you can possibly get. On the other hand, if you desire to upgrade now to take advantage of your GTX 570 and get an unlocked Ivy Bridge CPU, this option will at least allow you to really overclock (an option that's not so easy with your current rig), which will extend your PC's useful lifespan. That's what i'm currently doing with my Phenom II x4 955; it's old, but still kicking. By the time it reaches its maximum usable lifespan (after a GPU upgrade or two), it will be about time for a new upgrade.

here are some final thoughts :pt1cable:  .....

After quite a bit of consideration, I would say that, given your situation, I would probably upgrade to an unlocked Ivy Bridge system now rather than wait for Haswell so that you will be able to take full advantage of your GTX 570 while it is still able to dominate most games and give you stunning graphics. Yes, you will be more or less at the pinnacle of socket 1155, but the kicker here is that pesky 570 you have. It's just too nice in my opinion to not use to its full potential while it's in its prime. I really want to say that you should wait for Haswell so that you'll be on the ol' "new socket = new build" cycle, but I just think that an unlocked Ivy Bridge CPU has great "long life" potential as an easily overclockable quad-core CPU...something like the Athlon 64 X2 CPUs of old (some people still have those to this day). But this is merely food for thought. It's not a definitive answer by any means, but simply my take on the situation at hand. It's a tough decision, but I don't think you can go wrong with either option.
m
l
August 16, 2012 5:38:37 PM

I think at this point after all is said and done I mine as well wait for Haswell. The Gtx 570 was a waste of money for this current setup that much I had thought. I'll start over maybe in April. If I have trouble playing Borderlands 2 or Guild Wars 2 that will be the only thing that leads me to upgrade now. Otherwise Haswell is the only thing that makes sense. Thanks for all your advice and help.
m
l
!