DDR ram in a mainboard that doesnt support DDR

G

I was wondering as RAM is so cheap just now and i am upgrading my machine in the next few months(but it will be a while before i get a new mainboard)could i get 256mb DDR and use it my old motherboard,i realise it will not be running at DDR speeds but at least i will have it for the new board and i will have gotten it while it was cheap.Also i was wondering what is the best memory to buy for really fast games set up,or if there is a brand of ram that is better than the rest

any help will be very helpful

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
1- it won't fit the slots
2- the old chipset wouldn't understand the newcomer if there were some transition adapters
3- Are you sure, the DDR SDRAM you're talking about today, will satisfy you and will fit the new motherboard in the future?

G

NickM had some good responses.

I would add that even if it would physically fit into the memory slot (which it won't - for this very good reason...) it is electrically different and you would fry your memory module. There is a different number (and I assume a different arrangement) of pins on the DDR modules.

Also, about RAM types and manufacturers: there are already a number of posts on the forum boards discussing these topics. Have a look in there and see if they don't answer some of your questions.

Justin

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
First of all, DDR-SDRAM will not fit into standard SD-RAM slots since they have a totally different pin configuration. Secondly, if you did manage to force a DDR stick into your current memory slots, you would send 3.3v into it and kill almost instaneously.

If you want to upgrade your current memory, go with either PC133 or PC150 since they are backwards compatible and will work at their native speeds internally.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Well, only three people have answered you, so I'm going to repeat what they've said.

1) It won't fit in the slots, don't try.
2) The motherboard won't recognize it.
3) 3.3v will fry it.
4) [Insert other reason here]

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>