Sign in with
Your question

Advice please - new build

Last response: in Systems
August 15, 2012 11:02:02 PM

Hi guys,

I've been lurking on here for a few weeks while I plan my new build. I'm in the UK and my MAX budget is £1,600 INC TAX or $2,000 equiv or so. Ideally, I'd like to keep below £1,300 inc tax / $1,600 I used to build PCs in my job about 7 years ago, but things have obviously changed significantly since then! That said, I'm actually not that confident in building the PC from scratch. Reasons -

1. Mistakenly damaging expensive equipment.
2. Incompatible parts
3. Heat damage or shortened life span due to poor setup

I wouldnt mind getting a barebones system with case, motherboard, CPU and cooling already done. It needs to be able to handle top games in 'ultra' mode at super FPS. I don't do video rendering or design work. Aside from hardcore gaming, it will be used for regular MS Office/web browsing work. I've been using various dual core CPUs with 2-4G RAM type PCs and onboard graphics cards with no issue for the last few years, until I tried to play CoD and realized how inadequate or the PC was.

Moving swiftly on.. I'm looking at;

2x 4G DDR3 RAM, Kingston Hyperx 1866MHz
1x 4GB nVidia Geforce 680
1x Intel i7-3930K, 3.2GHz, 12MB Cache
1x 128GB OCZ SSD HDD
1x 1Tb Seagate 7200K HDD
1x Corsair 850W Power
1x Asus Rampage IV, Intel X79, 2011. [using onboard sound with wireless headphones] Motherboard should at minimum have 2 spare RAM slots and one or more PCI-E slots for more GeForces

1. I wanted a nice LCD screen fan control system - how do I know that this will be compatible with my case? What fans would I need and how do I know that they will be compatible?
2. Is any of this spec going to underperform or overperform for the price?
3. I have a spare PHY GeForce 550 that also supports SLI - can I pop it in and connect it up via SLI? Will it offer any benefit?
4. I'm finding all the options confusing and to keep checking benchmarks is becoming difficult - can someone recommend a better combination that's preferably cheaper?
5. How do these 'water cooled' CPU

I'm really just after a super powerful gaming machine, for reasonable money, and that will last for several years into the future with newer games and be well upgradeable in future. I'm also intending to get the 3d glasses kit and 2x 120Hz 3d ready monitors

I'd love a custom PC vendor in or around NW London where I could actually go to the store, build my beast and pay whatever was used, although I doubt such a facility exists..

Lastly, I don't need to be handheld through the build.. as long as I know that everything I have is compatible and will work together, I can certainly google my way through any questions or problems.

Any advice would be much appreciated..

More about : advice build

August 16, 2012 12:00:12 AM

firstly i am an it engineer and let me just say donworry about damaig arts it happens to us ll a friend of mine took a £2500 pc ou of the box and within 2 mins had split 1 full cup of coffee over it an fried it and he was a senior technician, my adice is just go slow and keep calm as or wat to put in the pc dot go for ma spec instead go forigh scpec but great quality parts that way the likleyhood of therebing a probm is low stick wth thetop brands you may have to compromisespec but you will get a pc that will last 10 years you firstly dont need ram over1600mhz s o cpu can run at that speed really especially not out ofthe box i woul use ocz or kingston as it is higher quality ram and works better and i would look at the platinum ocz and the hyperx kingston ram, also i would look at the ati graph cards as they are much esier than nvidea and are better at certain things than the nvidea also i would consider why 4gb i have a 1gb in one of my gaming rigs on a 32 inch screen and i run crysis and crysis 2 at full tilt on mad high res with everthing on its just ddr5 and thats what you want to look at get ddr5 if you can it makes all the difference and direct x 11 is usefull. i would also look at the i5 over the i7 as its just not worh all the extra money as its past what is called the beyond reason buffer which means that after that point you get very little extra for your money. ocz ssd is good for the os but for everything else you need another drive i suggest only use western digital or seagate as these are much better quality have good support and awesome forums for help etc i agree with you on the motherboard asus boaards are all awesome no matter which one and they have very very few faults as for the psu i think its a bad choice i have used most and to be honest i think ocz would be better but if you want a cheap one thats ok arctic psu and ezcool psus are perfectly ok but lack some of the quality and features of other psus. as for the fans system dont worry about what fans are compatible you just need ones with 2 pin adapters on as well as mole or just plain 2 pin adapters this is in the specs of the fans also the fan contrllers are a standard size and usually fit into a 5.25 inch bay or 2 and somethimes in 2 or more 3 inch bays it depends on the make and model and also on the case, also some cases have lcd fan controllers in. the other thing you asked is any going to under or over perform the cpu is not one i would pick als you are going to have a huge bottle neck with the hard drive it may be an idea considering the system to have a raid array for the drives and have either 2 ssd drives or 2 hdds that is the biggist issue other than that its just the speed of ram. you are always better with just 1 graphics card dont bother with the 550. i would say spend no more than £1000 on a pc and just look for high quality parts that can be upgraded over time look to upgrade the cpu, ram and graph card every 3 years to keep up to date i would seriously look at the i5 also bench marks are all well and good but they just benchmrk a particular peice of the pc not the system as a whole i have a pc with a hex core which should be really slow according to the benchmark but i run it and its so fast that everything is just instant you could not get it any faster if you wanted to so its not just about 1 piece its how they all work together also asus boards and gigabyte are not the gratest at being compatible with geforce stuff it cn sometimes be hit and miss. water cooled is just rubbish unless you have mega bucks and can do it propperly just stick to fans if you are worried about noise get high output super quiet ball bering fans like enermax or coolermaster ones and get large ones like 120mm or superquiet 80mm fans. also dont bother with the 3d just buy a 3d ready native monitor in the smaller size they are around £190 on the internet this means no glassses and everything 3d which is good or if not then nly get samsung monitors as they others give people headaches. i hope all this helps sorry dont know anywhere in london like that but have you checked out alienware and scan computers they are good also morecompters offer a build pc service i believ and i know that novatech do. thanks and good luck with the build and all the best
August 16, 2012 12:05:01 AM

digitljedi327 said:
firstly i am an it engineer and let me just say donworry about damaig arts it happens to us ll a friend of mine took a £2500 pc ou of the box and within 2 mins had split 1 full cup of coffee over it an fried it and he was a senior technician, my adice is just go slow and keep calm as or wat to put in the pc dot go for ma spec instead go forigh scpec but great quality parts that way the likleyhood of therebing a probm is low stick wth thetop brands you may have to compromisespec but you will get a pc that will last 10 years you firstly dont need ram over1600mhz s o cpu can run at that speed really especially not out ofthe box i woul use ocz or kingston as it is higher quality ram and works better and i would look at the platinum ocz and the hyperx kingston ram, also i would look at the ati graph cards as they are much esier than nvidea and are better at certain things than the nvidea also i would consider why 4gb i have a 1gb in one of my gaming rigs on a 32 inch screen and i run crysis and crysis 2 at full tilt on mad high res with everthing on its just ddr5 and thats what you want to look at get ddr5 if you can it makes all the difference and direct x 11 is usefull. i would also look at the i5 over the i7 as its just not worh all the extra money as its past what is called the beyond reason buffer which means that after that point you get very little extra for your money. ocz ssd is good for the os but for everything else you need another drive i suggest only use western digital or seagate as these are much better quality have good support and awesome forums for help etc i agree with you on the motherboard asus boaards are all awesome no matter which one and they have very very few faults as for the psu i think its a bad choice i have used most and to be honest i think ocz would be better but if you want a cheap one thats ok arctic psu and ezcool psus are perfectly ok but lack some of the quality and features of other psus. as for the fans system dont worry about what fans are compatible you just need ones with 2 pin adapters on as well as mole or just plain 2 pin adapters this is in the specs of the fans also the fan contrllers are a standard size and usually fit into a 5.25 inch bay or 2 and somethimes in 2 or more 3 inch bays it depends on the make and model and also on the case, also some cases have lcd fan controllers in. the other thing you asked is any going to under or over perform the cpu is not one i would pick als you are going to have a huge bottle neck with the hard drive it may be an idea considering the system to have a raid array for the drives and have either 2 ssd drives or 2 hdds that is the biggist issue other than that its just the speed of ram. you are always better with just 1 graphics card dont bother with the 550. i would say spend no more than £1000 on a pc and just look for high quality parts that can be upgraded over time look to upgrade the cpu, ram and graph card every 3 years to keep up to date i would seriously look at the i5 also bench marks are all well and good but they just benchmrk a particular peice of the pc not the system as a whole i have a pc with a hex core which should be really slow according to the benchmark but i run it and its so fast that everything is just instant you could not get it any faster if you wanted to so its not just about 1 piece its how they all work together also asus boards and gigabyte are not the gratest at being compatible with geforce stuff it cn sometimes be hit and miss. water cooled is just rubbish unless you have mega bucks and can do it propperly just stick to fans if you are worried about noise get high output super quiet ball bering fans like enermax or coolermaster ones and get large ones like 120mm or superquiet 80mm fans. also dont bother with the 3d just buy a 3d ready native monitor in the smaller size they are around £190 on the internet this means no glassses and everything 3d which is good or if not then nly get samsung monitors as they others give people headaches. i hope all this helps sorry dont know anywhere in london like that but have you checked out alienware and scan computers they are good also morecompters offer a build pc service i believ and i know that novatech do. thanks and good luck with the build and all the best

woah bro :o 

please dont type in a huge paragraph.
Related resources
August 16, 2012 12:09:14 AM

this system will perform the same or even better than what you did

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/eJK9

watercooling isnt worth it unless you do custom. the nh-d14 performs about as well as a h100 while being much quieter

no need for a fan controller. the system is silent. the stock fans are more than enough to cool the system

the 550ti will be no use for the rig. i suggest selling it or something

get this video card. i cant get it to list on pcpartpicker. one 670 is more than enough to max out any game at 1080p
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/nvidiagef...

get the psu from overclockers.uk. the one listed at amazon is the wrong unit

i personally would never get 3d since its not worth the extra money and gets you screwed over in heavy action games. one good ips 1080p monitor would be more than enough

August 16, 2012 1:05:11 PM

Thank you - that is super helpful. Just one Q - if I wanted to upgrade that spec, what would be the first component to upgrade and to what?
August 16, 2012 1:08:21 PM

Oh and if I wanted to change that case to something more exciting, could I get any 'midi tower case' or would the board and connectors not fit in certain cases?
August 16, 2012 1:25:58 PM

if you really need to upgrade this, the first thing would be to add another graphics card but one is more than enough to max out games at 1080p

i personally liked the r4 because it had awesome build quality and it was silent. what case would you like to use instead. another recommendation would be the coolermaster haf xm
August 16, 2012 4:26:45 PM

OK - Thanks a lot TheBigTroll.

The coolermaster haf xm looks neat. Otherwise, I will go with the exact spec above. Do I just order the whole lot ? Are there misc bits that I'll need like spare screws, thermal compound, SATA cables, etc etc or should this include everything needed?

Lastly my only query is with the CPU - with the graphics card for example, another can be added but the CPU can only be replaced. Is this CPU going to be sufficient for a few years into the future? Should I get a board that supports 2xCPU slots so I can add one later?
August 16, 2012 5:41:08 PM

the cpu is not upgradeable. the 1155 socket will be replaced by the 1150 socket next year.

there are no dual socket motherboards for consumer products. for server systems, yes.
August 19, 2012 7:13:04 PM

apsinvo said:
OK - Thanks a lot TheBigTroll.

The coolermaster haf xm looks neat. Otherwise, I will go with the exact spec above. Do I just order the whole lot ? Are there misc bits that I'll need like spare screws, thermal compound, SATA cables, etc etc or should this include everything needed?

Lastly my only query is with the CPU - with the graphics card for example, another can be added but the CPU can only be replaced. Is this CPU going to be sufficient for a few years into the future? Should I get a board that supports 2xCPU slots so I can add one later?

dont worry about the cpu with the spec you are creating it will be very fast
August 19, 2012 7:13:41 PM

upgrade the hdd thats first dont bother with the graph card, coolermaster cases juust r the best go with that
August 19, 2012 7:15:49 PM

TheBigTroll said:
woah bro :o 

please dont type in a huge paragraph.

ok bro no probs
!