Sign in with
Your question
Closed

6670 diablo/skyrim frame stutter

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 26, 2012 7:45:07 PM

I have constant stuttering issues in Diablo and Skyrim, I get about 30-40 FPS but the stuttering is troublesome. I have tried reloading drivers (having windows to rollback the driver) but doing that I ran into some issues with my SSD (BSOD). So I am currently using the April catalyst driver. Could it be a bottle neck between my card and CPU, or my video card cannot handle the games and should I get another card, thanks!

My specs are

990fx sabertooth AMD (have had only a week and i have the stuttering issue for weeks now)
8 Gigs of Ram
OCZ vertex 3 120 SSD (have had only a week and i have the stuttering issue for weeks now)
6670 ATI Radeon
AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2 GHZ
750 Watt PSU
June 26, 2012 8:15:56 PM

Stuttering online could be your internet connection.

Your cpu could support the fastest graphics card available, so obviously a low end 6670 is not being bottlenecked.

When is the last time you did a fresh windows install?

Score
June 26, 2012 8:20:35 PM

I just bought a SSD which was last week (new install). I figured it wouldnt be a bottleneck I can look into my ISP and run a latency test's.
Score
Related resources
June 26, 2012 8:20:41 PM

Diablo 3 will stutter no matter what you do, with my spec, I can run the game on max or minimum settings, stutter will still happen due to blizzard server stress and their choice of prefetching textures ect. instead of having more data client side.

Skyrim, you should try turning shadows down as far as possible, I'm not sure as to your settings but shadows are very stressful in skyrim.
Score
June 26, 2012 8:25:42 PM

Yes my settings are on high, I was going to set them to normal settings. it's intresting because once i play for about an hour the stuttering in skyrim is not as constant.
Score
June 26, 2012 8:34:14 PM

snakei3000 said:
Yes my settings are on high, I was going to set them to normal settings. it's intresting because once i play for about an hour the stuttering in skyrim is not as constant.

Skyrim is a mixed bag, you can't really be too sure what it will do. There are a lot of cell loading going on as well, each area is loaded as a cell on the spot, after visiting these areas and coming back the stress should be lessened after playing for a while as it has those files in buffer.
Score
June 26, 2012 8:41:59 PM

It makes sense because the main areas i go to the stuttering goes away, new areas (caves and unexplored areas it will stutter bad). I did put the resolution settings to 1280 X 800 (still under high settings), the game does not look as good but it runs better.
Score

Best solution

June 26, 2012 8:47:07 PM

snakei3000 said:
It makes sense because the main areas i go to the stuttering goes away, new areas (caves and unexplored areas it will stutter bad). I did put the resolution settings to 1280 X 800 (still under high settings), the game does not look as good but it runs better.

I had to do a lot of .ini file configuring before I got skyrim just the way I like it. Just play with settings, some will improve performance without a great or noticeable detail drop, others will drop a lot of detail for little to no benefit.

Enjoy! :) 
June 27, 2012 3:52:15 PM

setting skyrim to normal has fixed the stuttering issue and I tweaked diablo settings also and that improved the preformance, thank you.
Score
June 27, 2012 3:52:34 PM

Best answer selected by snakei3000.
Score
June 27, 2012 7:40:00 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!