Trouble with monitor (where to plug it graphics card or motherboard)

tickingmadness

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Hello I currently cannot get my monitor to show any picture on my newly built gaming pc

I have the monitor plugged into the motherboard (ASRock H61M-DGS LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard) with a S30 (to be honest i have no clue what the plug wire is it's blue, has three rows of needles, and two screw in things at both ends, im a computer genius right?)

The monitor doesn't say it's not detecting anything like it does when i unplug it and im able to plug it into my laptop and it'll show a picture

i don't have anything plugged into the desktop (the one with the problems) besides the monitor, no keyboard, no mouse, nothing but the necessary parts

if it helps my cpu fan (the one that came with the cpu) keeps stuttering twice before fully starting every time

please help

motherboard link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157315

Solution
G

yes.
since you installed the graphics card, it will use that for the default video output and not the motherboard.

now usually for the first time booting up after building; it might be a good idea to not install the graphics card right away and try booting up connected to the motherboard so that you know everything is ok to begin with.

tickingmadness

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

i have a graphics card yes a Saphire Radeon HD 6850 sorry for not mentioning that before

G

its an H61 so it uses intel HD 2000

Rear Panel Ports

Video Ports D-Sub + DVI

OP remove the graphics card if you have the monitor plugged into to the motherboard. or plug the monitor in the graphics card. ( when you have a graphics card installed the BIOS may default to that as the primary monitor so you won't get a signal from the motherboard)

tickingmadness

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

ok so if i leave the graphics card in it wont show a picture, but if i take it out it will. If i leave it in i have to plug the monitor to the graphics card?

G

yes.
since you installed the graphics card, it will use that for the default video output and not the motherboard.

now usually for the first time booting up after building; it might be a good idea to not install the graphics card right away and try booting up connected to the motherboard so that you know everything is ok to begin with.

Solution

tickingmadness

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

oh ok thank you guess i have to get a plug for the graphics card, do you know of one that will work, my monitor has a port called HDMI IN and one that says RGB IN

G

the RGB should look and be the same as the D-Sub from the motherboard.
ASROCK%20H61M-DGS-3-500x500.jpg

the blue one.

though if you do not have a cable for that connection you can install the graphics card and use the HDMI cable to see if you get signal from that.

how do you connect the monitor to your laptop? and what monitor are you using?

tickingmadness

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

i connect to my laptop using the same blue cable, my laptop has that blue plug that the motherboard has, my graphics card has two long gray plugs and i dont have a cable for that (looks a lot like the white pug on the motherboard except without the line)

Heres my monitor: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+20%26%2334%3B+Widescreen+Flat-Panel+LED+HD+Monitor+-+Transparent+Red/4983852.p?id=1218589745712&skuId=4983852&st=samsong%2020%22%20monitor&cp=1&lp=2

I plug the plug i have into the far right blue plug on the monitor then i plug it into the blue plug on my monitor but this plug wont work on my graphics card do you know of a plug that will?

tickingmadness

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

thanks man for all your help, just went to bestbuy and bought a plug and everything's working :D