Dec 8, 2012
Hi

I just built my new PC last night.

CPU: AMD FX8350

MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0

Graphic: ASUS EAH5770 CUcore 1GB GDDR5

RAM: 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance

PSU: Cooler Master GX Lite 600W

The power supply makes loud buzzing sounds which I can clearly hear over all the cooling.

It does not buzz at all when I'm in BIOS.

When I load Windows it goes mad ( buzzing like crazy ) and then it comes down, but I can still hear it all of the time. If I don't do anything for a while it may stop buzzing, but it starts straight after I scroll through my folders in Win Explorer or if I'm browsing the internet.

I checked and it's 100% sure that the buzzing noise does not come from the PSU fan.

Any advice will be much appreciated!

I do not mind the noise so much, but I am worried about the consequences for my system if the PSU is not working properly.

Thanks in advance !

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
My first thought was coil whine, but that generally happens under heavy load.

I can't imagine surfing the web puts much of a load on your PSU.

Run a program that shows voltages and see if it's within spec. (HWmoitor works well)

socialfox

Distinguished
Check the hard drive, disconnect the sata power cable and turn the system on. I had assumed I had coil whine a bit back but when I replaced my own power supply the noise persisted. I later found out it was my hard drive, and its just noisy all the time.

freemad

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

Yes, I haven't done anything yet as I want to figure this noise out before heavy load...

as I said the buzzing is zero when restart the PC and once it shows the Win loading screen it goes crazy till desktop and then comes down. After that even though much quieter it still buzzes when I am in Win Explorer or browsing.

Here is what HWmonitor shows

Voltage.jpg

Thanks for the reply !

freemad

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

Thanks for the reply mate, but for the last 24 hours me and two mates have been listening super carefully and it is absolutely sure that it is the PSU and I am talking about sticking our heads inside the case lol. What I can't understand is why the noise is only under Win...

freemad

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Just changed the power plan in Windows from "Balanced" to "High Performance" and the buzz went MAD !

I will RMA it if I don't figure it out by tomorrow...

socialfox

Distinguished

Okay, sounds more like a power supply issue now. Do the RMA and fill us in once you test the new power supply.

freemad

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

Will do ;)

Z1NONLY

Distinguished

Nothing jumps out at me other than the fact that everything seems to be a little low.

It looks (and sounds) like that power supply is struggling to do its job. (As others have noted)

freemad

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

Yes, I'm replacing it with the Xfx one :)

Thanks

freemad

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Hi again guys.

I ordered my XFX 550W on 31 of Dec and still waiting...

The seller suppose to dispatch it two days ago and they do not reply on my e-mails and as I need a new PSU urgently I am thinking to cancel the order.

Trouble is that they are the only seller on Amazon from where I can get XFX for such a price and with a free delivery.

I can get instead a Corsair TX650V2 straight from Amazon (it's a bit more expensive than the XFX 550, but it's 100W more)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004O0P9TO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

I was reading that Corsair TX650V2 is the same quality as the XFX 650W, but wanted to double check it with you.

Let me know your thoughts please

Thanks a lot one more time! ;)

socialfox

Distinguished
I'd agree, in my time with the forums, quite a few people were complaining about the fan not spinning in some of their TX series power supplies. Though the fan is meant to spin when it reaches a certain load or temperature, in their case it did not spin at all. Though the internal components of the TX-650 are of high quality, the fan issue is quite a nuisance for people. Anyways it was just Christmas a few days ago so there may be quite a bit of deliveries still to be made during these times, its normal for the delay around this time of the year.

seasonic is superior to corsair imo tbh, theres not alot of companies who can beat out seasonic, some models like the ax and axi line are quite solid and can match seasonic but besides that the rest are decent but dont compare to seasonics best,

yeah xfx 550watts will be plenty

freemad

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

Thanks for the reply mate and yes I agree about the possible delays around this time of the year, but what I did not like in that particular occasion was the fact that the seller got quite a few customers leaving him a feedback how happy they are for ordering their items on 2nd of Jan and getting them on 3rd of Jan and I am sitting home expecting my current PSU to explode :D

Anyway, they got back to me today and the Xfx 550 is on it's way :)

Thanks again and Happy New Year ;)

freemad

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

Thanks again for the help mate and Happy New Year ;)