December 30, 2012 8:46:38 PM

Hi

I just built my new PC last night.

CPU: AMD FX8350

MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0

Graphic: ASUS EAH5770 CUcore 1GB GDDR5

RAM: 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance

PSU: Cooler Master GX Lite 600W

The power supply makes loud buzzing sounds which I can clearly hear over all the cooling.

It does not buzz at all when I'm in BIOS.

When I load Windows it goes mad ( buzzing like crazy ) and then it comes down, but I can still hear it all of the time. If I don't do anything for a while it may stop buzzing, but it starts straight after I scroll through my folders in Win Explorer or if I'm browsing the internet.

I checked and it's 100% sure that the buzzing noise does not come from the PSU fan.

Any advice will be much appreciated!

I do not mind the noise so much, but I am worried about the consequences for my system if the PSU is not working properly.

Thanks in advance !

More about : buzzing psu win

a b ) Power supply
December 30, 2012 10:10:10 PM

My first thought was coil whine, but that generally happens under heavy load.

I can't imagine surfing the web puts much of a load on your PSU.

Run a program that shows voltages and see if it's within spec. (HWmoitor works well)
a b ) Power supply
December 30, 2012 10:12:42 PM

Check the hard drive, disconnect the sata power cable and turn the system on. I had assumed I had coil whine a bit back but when I replaced my own power supply the noise persisted. I later found out it was my hard drive, and its just noisy all the time.
Related resources
December 30, 2012 11:06:20 PM

Z1NONLY said:
My first thought was coil whine, but that generally happens under heavy load.

I can't imagine surfing the web puts much of a load on your PSU.

Run a program that shows voltages and see if it's within spec. (HWmoitor works well)

Yes, I haven't done anything yet as I want to figure this noise out before heavy load...

as I said the buzzing is zero when restart the PC and once it shows the Win loading screen it goes crazy till desktop and then comes down. After that even though much quieter it still buzzes when I am in Win Explorer or browsing.

Here is what HWmonitor shows

Thanks for the reply !
December 30, 2012 11:33:25 PM

socialfox said:
Check the hard drive, disconnect the sata power cable and turn the system on. I had assumed I had coil whine a bit back but when I replaced my own power supply the noise persisted. I later found out it was my hard drive, and its just noisy all the time.

Thanks for the reply mate, but for the last 24 hours me and two mates have been listening super carefully and it is absolutely sure that it is the PSU and I am talking about sticking our heads inside the case lol. What I can't understand is why the noise is only under Win...
December 31, 2012 12:59:55 AM

Just changed the power plan in Windows from "Balanced" to "High Performance" and the buzz went MAD !

I will RMA it if I don't figure it out by tomorrow...
a b ) Power supply
December 31, 2012 1:03:28 AM

freemad said:
Just changed the power plan in Windows from "Balanced" to "High Performance" and the buzz went MAD !

I will RMA it if I don't figure it out by tomorrow...

Okay, sounds more like a power supply issue now. Do the RMA and fill us in once you test the new power supply.
a b ) Power supply
December 31, 2012 1:03:37 AM

ive had a buzzing coiling sound issue with powersupplies before, id rma it as quick as possible also considering that coolermaster ps is not very good.

December 31, 2012 1:08:12 AM

socialfox said:
Okay, sounds more like a power supply issue now. Do the RMA and fill us in once you test the new power supply.

Will do ;) 
a b ) Power supply
December 31, 2012 1:08:40 AM

excellent :) 

ive owned the gx line of coolermasters not good, u should rma that as soon as possible buddy :) 

December 31, 2012 1:09:10 AM

iceclock said:
ive had a buzzing coiling sound issue with powersupplies before, id rma it as quick as possible also considering that coolermaster ps is not very good.

I am arranging the return now...

what about this one ? It is the same wattage and about the same price

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Builder-Series-Bronze-S...
December 31, 2012 1:30:55 AM

iceclock said:
no get this instead :

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550s...

xfx powersupply 550watt alot better than the cx builders line, i like corsair but try to stay away from the cx lines tbh,

its 50$ and better than that corsair :) 

Nice one mate, cheers for that ! Shall I go for the bigger one 650W or the 550W will do ?

Thanks again ;) 
a b ) Power supply
December 31, 2012 1:36:54 AM

the 550 is good enought but if u can afford the 650 by all means get it :) 

anytime bro

a b ) Power supply
December 31, 2012 1:48:08 AM

freemad said:
Yes, I haven't done anything yet as I want to figure this noise out before heavy load...

as I said the buzzing is zero when restart the PC and once it shows the Win loading screen it goes crazy till desktop and then comes down. After that even though much quieter it still buzzes when I am in Win Explorer or browsing.

Here is what HWmonitor shows

http://s14.postimage.org/gt6w3b6g1/Voltage.jpg

Thanks for the reply !

Nothing jumps out at me other than the fact that everything seems to be a little low.

It looks (and sounds) like that power supply is struggling to do its job. (As others have noted)

December 31, 2012 1:59:39 AM

Z1NONLY said:
Nothing jumps out at me other than the fact that everything seems to be a little low.

It looks (and sounds) like that power supply is struggling to do its job. (As others have noted)

Yes, I'm replacing it with the Xfx one :) 

Thanks
a b ) Power supply
December 31, 2012 3:10:33 AM

excellent enjoy ur new ps mate :) 
January 3, 2013 10:35:51 PM

Hi again guys.

I ordered my XFX 550W on 31 of Dec and still waiting...

The seller suppose to dispatch it two days ago and they do not reply on my e-mails and as I need a new PSU urgently I am thinking to cancel the order.

Trouble is that they are the only seller on Amazon from where I can get XFX for such a price and with a free delivery.

I can get instead a Corsair TX650V2 straight from Amazon (it's a bit more expensive than the XFX 550, but it's 100W more)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004O0P9TO/ref=ox_sc...

I was reading that Corsair TX650V2 is the same quality as the XFX 650W, but wanted to double check it with you.

Let me know your thoughts please

Thanks a lot one more time! ;) 
a b ) Power supply
January 4, 2013 2:05:47 AM

id say wait for the 550watts, ;) 

a b ) Power supply
January 4, 2013 2:16:46 AM

I'd agree, in my time with the forums, quite a few people were complaining about the fan not spinning in some of their TX series power supplies. Though the fan is meant to spin when it reaches a certain load or temperature, in their case it did not spin at all. Though the internal components of the TX-650 are of high quality, the fan issue is quite a nuisance for people. Anyways it was just Christmas a few days ago so there may be quite a bit of deliveries still to be made during these times, its normal for the delay around this time of the year.
a b ) Power supply
January 4, 2013 4:11:41 AM

seasonic is superior to corsair imo tbh, theres not alot of companies who can beat out seasonic, some models like the ax and axi line are quite solid and can match seasonic but besides that the rest are decent but dont compare to seasonics best,

yeah xfx 550watts will be plenty
January 4, 2013 1:20:15 PM

socialfox said:
I'd agree, in my time with the forums, quite a few people were complaining about the fan not spinning in some of their TX series power supplies. Though the fan is meant to spin when it reaches a certain load or temperature, in their case it did not spin at all. Though the internal components of the TX-650 are of high quality, the fan issue is quite a nuisance for people. Anyways it was just Christmas a few days ago so there may be quite a bit of deliveries still to be made during these times, its normal for the delay around this time of the year.

Thanks for the reply mate and yes I agree about the possible delays around this time of the year, but what I did not like in that particular occasion was the fact that the seller got quite a few customers leaving him a feedback how happy they are for ordering their items on 2nd of Jan and getting them on 3rd of Jan and I am sitting home expecting my current PSU to explode :D 

Anyway, they got back to me today and the Xfx 550 is on it's way :) 

Thanks again and Happy New Year ;) 
January 4, 2013 1:21:07 PM

iceclock said:
seasonic is superior to corsair imo tbh, theres not alot of companies who can beat out seasonic, some models like the ax and axi line are quite solid and can match seasonic but besides that the rest are decent but dont compare to seasonics best,

yeah xfx 550watts will be plenty

Thanks again for the help mate and Happy New Year ;) 
a b ) Power supply
January 5, 2013 4:10:36 AM

no problem :)  happy newyear mate ;p
January 5, 2013 2:09:43 PM

Xfx has been installed. It is an awesome working and looking unit :) 

Case closed :bounce: 
a b ) Power supply
January 5, 2013 2:16:46 PM

exzcellent, always happy to help cheers my friend :) 
January 6, 2013 3:48:26 PM

OK the whole POWER thing is very frustrating...

The strong buzz which Cooler Master was doing... well it's gone now as I bought XFX 550

But... now the new PSU is making very high pitch noise (like an old TV) when the PC is OFF. If I turn the PSU off from it's switch the noise is gone till switching the PSU back on.

I know there are many threads where this has been discussed, but I haven't seen a solution so far. To be honest guys am not trying to go the easy way ( without reading I mean ), but I've read a lot for the pass 10 days and I saw so many different suggestions that it's impossible to even guess what could be the problem. First of all I do not know if it is a problem at all ?

Another thing which probably is important to mention is that the HWmonitor shows absolutely the same numbers for CM and XFX ( check the image in the begging of the thread). Also my keyboard and mouse stay ON when I turn off the PC. Something which I didn't have with my previous PC. This is happening with both PSUs - the CM and the XFX. And again if I switch the PSU off the keyboard & mouse are off as well, but they don't turn on when the PSU is switched back ON. Obviously they start with the PC.

I am starting to think that the mother board could probably be the reason, but I do not understand anything so I'll keep my thoughts for myself ;) 

I would be very greatfull if anybody tell me a way, how can I found out if everything with the system is fine. Leaving it to a local PC shop doesn't sound good to me to be honest.

Well, again, HELP ! ;) 

a b ) Power supply
January 6, 2013 3:55:14 PM

well its possible, some good powersupplies still have whining sounds, and its possible ur electrical outlet u plug ur ps in might have electrical issues, or u surge protector i know because ive had such issues with my wall outlet and couldnt figure out why my ps what making noise than i found out was the wallplug having issues.

theres a number of reasons why it could be whining, but im no powersupply expert, and i can only recommand check ur electricl setup and than lets see.

January 6, 2013 4:08:21 PM

well i just this thread do matter a lot wih me too because i m facing the same problem
i have corsair gs 800 psu ad it buzz a lot when the fan is spin so i find a way to cure it
just put and additional fan on upside grills of psu and then psu fan will not spin under the load (before ) the additional fan is installed
January 6, 2013 4:11:37 PM

iceclock said:
well its possible, some good powersupplies still have whining sounds, and its possible ur electrical outlet u plug ur ps in might have electrical issues, or u surge protector i know because ive had such issues with my wall outlet and couldnt figure out why my ps what making noise than i found out was the wallplug having issues.

theres a number of reasons why it could be whining, but im no powersupply expert, and i can only recommand check ur electricl setup and than lets see.

Hi mate. The electrical system in the house has been checked recently and it's fine. I am not saying that it's impossible to be the source of the problem. Actually considering that there was a problem with both brand new PSUs I would think that the reason may be in the wall outlet, but the thing with the keyboard and the mouse makes me to believe that the problem is hiding somewhere inside the case.
a b ) Power supply
January 6, 2013 4:28:22 PM

hmm, im out of ideas, check all ur parts and see if theres something off i guess.

January 6, 2013 5:29:04 PM

iceclock said:
hmm, im out of ideas, check all ur parts and see if theres something off i guess.

Dunno mate. If I can't figure it out I'll just leave it really. The forums are FULL with people having the same problem. And we are talking about people with brand new systems and quite expensive PSUs.

Never heard somebody to had actual technical problem caused by that noise if you know what I mean. If it's only about the annoying sound I really do not care, besides I gotta put my ear on the PSU in order to hear it.

So... I'll take my chances. Thanks for the reply anyway ;) 

a b ) Power supply
January 6, 2013 7:04:57 PM

np enjoy ur new ps :) 
!