Radeon 7870 run with i-920 @2.67 GHz??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdm3

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Just ordered a Radeon HD 7870 to replace my old GTX295. Now I'm worried the old mother board cannot handle it while gaming. It's a i7-920 @2.67 GHz from Dell (so I can't overclock it). Will I have any performance issues with the new card due to the motherboard on games like Diablo 3, the Witcher 2, first-player shooters, etc.?

rdm3

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Thank you for the advice, I was just concerned since the GPU is all I plan to upgrade for now, and it sounds like most people have overclocked theirs to at least 3 GHz.

lanceor

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Oh god finally someone who has a Corei-7 920 AND CARD(Gonna order tomorrow) like me!! And the very same question I would have asked if I had got home earlier.

How do you know if you can overclock your CPU? I personally chose the components for my PC so i'm not sure what you mean by came from Dell(Prebuilt?)

rdm3

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Yeah, mine was a pre-built from Dell, and I've switched out the power supply and the video card over the years. It looks like I won't need to overclock based on the comments here.

The only decent Cooler Masters are the SilentPro series. I would go with something from Antec, Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, Seasonic, or XFX. They all make quality products and you don't want to skimp on your PSU. It's the most important thing in your case. It can ruin hardware if it fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.