Budget-ish Gaming pc for the GF

creamyclassic

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Hey guys, Will be building a gaming PC for the girlfriend very soon and would like to see your opinions on what i have lined up in the budget. The computer Doesn't need a HDD because i have plenty of those laying around. She likes to play games like The Sims 3, Saints row 3, gta, and what ever else i get her to play if she likes it :sol:. Anyway here is what i have lined up in a $750 Aud Budget:

Case: CoolerMaster Elite 371 USB3 Window

Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4

CPU: Intel Core i3 2120 Intel Core i3 2120

CPU Cooling: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO

RAM: G.Skill Ares F3-1600C9D-8GAO 8GB (dual channel 2 sticks)

GPU: ASUS Radeon HD7770 DirectCU 1GB

Optical drive: Lite-On 24x DVDRW

Wireless Card: TP-Link TL-WN881ND Wireless N PCI Express (300mbps capable card)

PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty Series 550W Modular

Comes too $741 dollars Including shipping and protection, to my place.

I'm pretty sure i've done alright but let me know what kind of changes you would make if it was yours or some tips. I buy my parts from: www.pccasegear.com
They are brilliant never had a problem with them. :D

Bolivious

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012

Hmm, I would go with a cheaper mobo and you don't need the Hyper Evo 212. I just put a similar rig together for my wife and I used an H61 board and bought her a 60 GB SSD to speed it up.

Consider dropping the CPU cooler and going with this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186225

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178333

Apply the difference with the cheaper mobo and memory toward an SSD or an HD6870. Good luck.

creamyclassic

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Cheers for the feedback!
I'm from australia so i can't use newegg because of the shipping, and those aren't on PCG.
The reason i have that motherboard is because it's a beast, and for more future proofing for new components, I don't need to worry about a SSD because she doesn't really care about the boot speed, the reason i have the cpu cooler is because its cheap and deecent for a low OC and i might be OC'ing the i3 a little bit.
Also will be playing in 1080P and a variety of games, also the ram because of minecraft and other ram intensive things she will be doing. I was considering a SSD at first but kind of lent to better components for the price and speed to performance. P.s Sorry for double cpu post, silly copy paste did it :p. Was also considering Case fans are what are some cheap decent quiet fans for case airflow that would be good, atm there will be 2 fans on the case. Anyway cheers for the advice man i'll consider playing around a bit more with some of the stuff.

Bolivious

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_711_1183&products_id=20678

There is a great little Gigabyte board. As far as overclocking the i3, it isn't unlocked and IMO isn't worth the hassle of trying to OC it. It will perform great at 1080 resolution at stock speeds. I agree with 8GB of RAM, but you don't need 1600 speed. Won't notice the difference between it and 1333. The mobo I linked is compatible with i5 and i7 processors so it's about as future proof as it gets at this point. The money difference with the mobo alone could get you a better video card or an SSD which does so much more than just improve boot times. With Win7 and maybe Office installed on a 60gig you would still have plenty of space for at least one game at a time. Not to mention surfing the web is even improved with an SSD.

My advice, wait until you upgrade to an unlocked i5 or i7 before buying the CPU cooler and get the cheaper mobo and an SSD or improved video card. Also, the Cooler Master R4 fans are cheap and move a decent amount of air.

creamyclassic

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Thanks for the advice!, I was thinking of downgrading the motherboard and putting an ssd in so it doesn't bottleneck the other programs i have a 60gb ocz SSD laying around somewhere here so i can use that, hence why i'm not really fussed on getting a new SSD, i have my pc aswell thats why i thought about that motherboard i have a core i5 2500k and i was thinking of going from sandy bridge to ivy bridge that way if i have the evo cooler i can put my 2500k into her pc OC it and put the evo cooler on it and tadah!!!! Yeah i thought wouldn't notice much difference with ram speed, but idk about having the 2500k with 1333 or 1600. i've always leaned to 1600, considering the 1333 modules are the same price as the 1600 i might as well just go with the 1600mhz :eek:. as for the OC on the i3 i was dreading trying to oc it so yeah i think i might just get rid of the evo cooler and when i upgrade to ivy bridge for my rig ill upgrade my cooling and give her my cpu cooler. Funny thing about that board is i had that on the build original when her price was lower for what she wanted to spend :lol:. But as i said if i want 1600 mhz for the same price as 1333 i can't use that board? or will it just downgrade it to 1333, had issues with that kind of thing before haha!, Also with that board theres no options for in the future crossfire upgrade's but that shouldn't matter for her needs. Unless she starts doing her rendering and graphic design stuff again. I will totally consider a better SSD then i have here and lowering it to 1333mhz ram and getting a different board, ill see if she wants to upgrade later on and throw that into consideration. If not i will go with the advice you have given :). Oh and what do you thing of the direct CU 7770? for 1080p Sims and high settings on saints row 3 and games, do you think a better card or should that do?. first time i have really gone for ATI, i know my 560ti kicks serious ass!. Thanks for the advice man will be taken into some serious consideration, just want the best bang for buck!. :wahoo:

creamyclassic

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Updated! i changed a few things and this is the new list of stuff!

Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D2V Motherboard
ASUS Radeon HD7770 DirectCU 1GB
Intel Core i3 2120
G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL(1333)
SanDisk Extreme Solid State Drive 120GB
CoolerMaster Elite 371 USB3 Window
Lite-On IHAS324 24x DVDRW
TP-Link TL-WN881ND Wireless N PCI Express Adapter
OCZ Fatal1ty Series 550W Modular

Price was $666 (creepy)
and $53 shipping + protection.
All up $719 Even cheaper :) Cheers!