Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I5-3570 Temperature Question (First Time Builder)

Last response: in CPUs
December 30, 2012 9:38:19 PM

Hello everyone, thanks for reading this and hopefully answering. I recently built my first ever gaming desktop (Coming from a macbook :non:  ) This forum was a huge help whenever I had questions (I just googled and this is my first actual post)

Anyways, after I was done I checked my temperatures and they were a little bit too high and I was scared because during my build I had to remove my (stock) heatsink and replace it so I went out and bought new thermal paste (Arctic MX-2). I cleaned off my CPU and heatsink and reapplied the thermal paste TWICE. First time it got even hotter and I thought it was because I put on a bit too much so I did it again today and checked my temps again. They didn't change much but they're not bad for the most part (I think). The only problem is that they're not consistent.

Idle temps were about: Core 0: 30-33 Core 1: 33-36 Core 2: 37-39 Core 3: 26-29

I love my core 3 and core 0 temperatures and core 1 isnt bad but why is core 2 so much higher? It's about 10 degrees higher!

I also ran a Sensor test (prime 95) and these were my results:

*I took the picture at the end so temps were lowered but during the test they were about 70 ish, with core 3 and 0 in the low 70s/high 60s and Core 2 and 3 in the high 70s The difference between them got closer (About 5 Degrees), as you can tell from the TJ Max.*

Am I too paranoid? This is my first time and I want my very expensive (for me at least) to be perfect. Are my Core 1/2 too hot? (ESPECIALLY 2 :pfff:  ). Is the difference of 10C too much? Any input would be appreciated.

A few things to note:
* Non K i5-3570 (It was 60 CAD dollars cheaper than the k so I went with it, plus the k was sold out)
* All temperatures in Celsius
* Method of applying thermal paste was a dot/blob in the middle of the CPU
* Using the stock fan
* Ambient (room) temperature is about 21C

Thanks for reading.

Edit: I just wanted to add my case is an Antec Three Hundred Two Premium with two 120mm intake fans in the front, 1 140mm exhaust fan in the top, 1 120mm exhaust fan in the back and a GTX 670
a b à CPUs
December 30, 2012 9:54:15 PM

they are ok, a better heatsink would give better results. but a range is not uncommon unfortunately.
a b à CPUs
December 30, 2012 11:52:30 PM

The thermal temperature of the i5-3570 is 67.4 celsius. Anything below is fine, everything above is... You know, not fine. ;) 
Related resources
December 31, 2012 2:49:07 AM

More importantly though is that difference in temperature bad? Did I apply thermal paste wrong/should I spread it out? What I mean by that is are the cores seated in specific places on the CPU so maybe theres too much/too little of it on core 2. That's my biggest concern even though it is a bit high.
a c 283 à CPUs
December 31, 2012 3:16:48 AM

anonmouze said:
Did I apply thermal paste wrong/should I spread it out?

It almost definitely wouldn't change anything.

There are a lot reasons for uneven temps and most of them you have no control over.

In any case, it's extremely common and absolutely nothing that you should be worrying about.
December 31, 2012 3:39:59 AM

I see. Thanks for reassuring. I just want this to be perfect. Im also considering just return/replace it. (maybe even with the k while im at it)
December 31, 2012 3:56:39 AM

lostgamer_03 said:
The thermal temperature of the i5-3570 is 67.4 celsius. Anything below is fine, everything above is... You know, not fine. ;) 

That is the Tcase for the processor, which is not the same as the thermal limit. I have the same processor as you and the actual TJmax (max temperature before damage to CPU occurs) is ~104 C.

However, I try and keep it below 75 C, which is almost always achievable with an at least semi-decent aftermarket cooler.

As to why there is so much variance in the core temps, I don't have a solid answer - just know that it is a common occurrence, mine vary about 8 C as well - but if I had to guess I would say the seating of the IHS to the CPU die is quite poor. Some have tried to fix this by reseating the IHS with new thermal interface material with varied results.

I'm actually going to attempt that mod later this week with some Coollaboratory Liquid Pro, let me know if you have any other questions.
December 31, 2012 4:06:59 AM

I have an I5-3570k with a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ heatsink with a Scythe Ultra Kaze cooling fan attached & an OC of 4.0ghz & my temps never go past 66c under full load or a few hours of Prime95.

Since you have the non k version I can't speak on personal levels, but when I had the stock Intel heatsink installed my temps were similar with mid 70s c under full load. Do remember that the Ivy Bridge chips do run hotter then the Sandy Bridge CPU's, but a good after market CPU cooler will helps those temps go down.
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2012 4:15:46 AM

lostgamer_03 said:

thats tcase which is typical much cooler then core temps. we are talking core temps not tcase
December 31, 2012 5:33:20 AM

Should i get an aftermarket ASAP even if im not OC'ing? (btw is the k worth $60 dollars more than the non k?)

Anyways, not sure if i should leave it as is, get a new heatsink, reapply thermal or just go exchange it and say it was faulty. Im getting the vibe these temps arent really anything new to the 3570s.

Btw, i recently ran far cry 3 and temps were around 53-63 with a max of 72 on core 2 (at some point I suppose) is this good? Im thinking of getting CPU intensive games to really test it.

Thanks for all the replies!
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2012 5:44:20 AM

you are fine dont worry. if those temps where too high intel would have shipped with a better heatsink.

Best solution

December 31, 2012 6:57:30 AM

anonmouze said:
Should i get an aftermarket ASAP even if im not OC'ing? (btw is the k worth $60 dollars more than the non k?)

Anyways, not sure if i should leave it as is, get a new heatsink, reapply thermal or just go exchange it and say it was faulty. Im getting the vibe these temps arent really anything new to the 3570s.

Btw, i recently ran far cry 3 and temps were around 53-63 with a max of 72 on core 2 (at some point I suppose) is this good? Im thinking of getting CPU intensive games to really test it.

Thanks for all the replies!

For $60 I think it's worth upgrading if you use CPU intensive programs often, especially considering how easy it is to overclock to ~4.5GHz...but it will also mean an additional $30 at the minimum for an aftermarket cooler.

Keep in mind, most video games aren't going to be drastically improved with a faster CPU whereas video/image processing and media converting (and loads of other CPU heavy programs) will notice a difference.

My opinion: if you are only gaming, don't spend your money on an upgrade, and don't worry about your temperatures either, you are well within Intel's specified limits.

Cheers.
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2012 7:39:36 AM

the biggest benefit you'll from an aftermarket is a reduction of maybe 10C at load and it being quieter whilst doing that. You do not NEED the 10C but you might like it, the quietness, that's down to personal taste.
December 31, 2012 10:39:04 AM

Your temperature looks fine to me
December 31, 2012 6:32:40 PM

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I guess I'll just keep my current CPU and not worry about it too much. I just don't want it to die too quickly or anything due to the heat. I've read up on other forums and there seems to be other people with the same issue of one core being a lot hotter. I might try rotating the heatsink and maybe get an aftermarket one eventually. As for the K version, I think non-k is good enough because I won't OC that much anyways. (I heard the non k can go up to 4 either way) Running games on highest settings (GTX 670, btw) brings my temps up to around 60-70, which I think is okay.

Thanks a lot for everyone who helped, this forum is great. :D 

edit: So just to clear up, what is a safe temperature for gaming? (Intense gaming)
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2012 7:25:03 PM

anonmouze said:
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I guess I'll just keep my current CPU and not worry about it too much. I just don't want it to die too quickly or anything due to the heat. I've read up on other forums and there seems to be other people with the same issue of one core being a lot hotter. I might try rotating the heatsink and maybe get an aftermarket one eventually. As for the K version, I think non-k is good enough because I won't OC that much anyways. (I heard the non k can go up to 4 either way) Running games on highest settings (GTX 670, btw) brings my temps up to around 60-70, which I think is okay.

edit: So just to clear up, what is a safe temperature for gaming? (Intense gaming)

i think you are just worrying too much. with those temps the cpu will out last your need for it. generally safe temps are considered anything below 75-80*c but since you are not overclocked any temps below 85*c are generaly normal and safe since you arent running high voltage.
December 31, 2012 7:33:36 PM

anonmouze said:

Your chip won't even begin to throttle back til >95 C, and I doubt you will even get close to that just gaming.

Conclusion: stop worrying about your processor, its the GTX 670 you want to keep below 75 C (Kepler Boost Throttling)

-Same Card + CPU (K version)
January 2, 2013 2:01:31 PM

Best answer selected by Anonmouze.
!