Converting from hdd to ssd

biggestnoobever

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
ok my comp is already built and windows installed on my hdd. but i want to get an ssd now so i can load windows faster. how do i install windows to my ssd. i still want to use my hdd for storing stuffs. do i have to format my hdd cuz i have alot of stuffs on it already which i dont want to delete. or is there a way to uninstall windows from my hdd? or does it not matter to have windows on both ssd and hdd

Bolivious

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
You can have it on both drives, the only obnoxious thing is that if you don't format the HDD it will ask you to pick an OS on boot and will show both Win7 on each drive. I haven't found a solution for this yet but if you can deal with that minor annoyance, it will work fine.

biggestnoobever

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
the only obnoxious thing is that if you don't format the HDD it will ask you to pick an OS on boot and will show both Win7 on each drive

ew so everytime i have to select first before it loads? tht kinda slows the loading speed alot...i want to turn on comp afk for a few sec come back and have it fully loaded... >_<

is there a way to uninstall windows without losing all my precious?

and how will i install windows onto my ssd? will it auto detect and ask for installation after i connect the ssd or sometihng else?

HCAIT

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
You need your install disk or a USB prepared to boot to setup your particular version of Windows. You would need your Activation Code too. When you boot to that it will ask you which drive to install Windows on.

What version of Windows 7 are you running?

If you have an external drive or an extra internal drive somewhere, move your vital files to that. If you don't have one you might need to assess the importance of your files and decide to reformat or not.

look up BCDEDIT using google, you can remove the other windows 7 choice and/or set the select timer to 0s so that it basically does not show up

ram1009

Distinguished
If your SSD is larger than the contents of your HDD you can clone the HDD to the SSD. I used a cloning kit made by a company called Apricorn. Here's a link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=848760&is=REG&Q=&A=details It worked perfectly for me. Alternatively, You can do a fresh install of your OS on the SSD and migrate your data, etc from your HDD at your leisure. Then reformat the HDD and use it as storage.

zdbc13

Distinguished
Usually the best way to add an SSD is to disconnect your current hard drive, connect the SSD to the fastest SATA port you have (SATA 3 is best) and set it to AHCI in your BIOS. Then install a fresh copy of your windows (USB works fastest), load all your drivers and updates, then reconnect the hard drive. You can remove the operating system files from the old hard drive to give you more room. You can redirect your documents and other file locations to the hard drive if you want. There are instructions on-line.