Solved

How much Watts?

Hello,

I want to know how much watts does my PSU need to run my whole system. I've checked many Watt Calculators and I don't seem to have a pinpoint answer.

Edit: I will be overclocking the CPU and/or video card.

Parts

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST 24X Internal DVD Burner - DVD±R 24X, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6X, DVD±R (DL) 12X, DVD-RAM 12X, CD-R 48X, CD-RW 32X, SATA, 2MB, Black, OEM

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V LX Intel Z68 Motherboard - ATX, Socket H2 (LGA1155), Intel Z68 Express, 2200MHz-DDR3 (O.C.), SATA 6.0 Gb/s, RAID, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, SuperSpeed USB 3.0, CrossFireX Ready

RAM: Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9 Vengeance 8GB PC15000 DDR3 RAM - 1866MHz, 2x4096MB, Non-ECC, Unbuffered

HDD: Western Digital WD10EALX Caviar Blue Hard Drive - 1TB, 3.5", SATA 6Gbps, 7200 RPM, 32MB

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master RR-B10-212P-GP Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler - 120mm, LGA 1366, 1156, 775, AMD AM3, AM2+, AM2

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K BX80623I52500 Unlocked Processor - Quad Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 1MB L2 Cache, 3.30 GHz (3.70 GHz Max Turbo), Socket H2 (LGA1155), 95W, Fan, Retail

Case: Thermaltake V3 Black Edition Mid Tower Case - ATX, Micro ATX, 120mm LED Fan, 4x 5.25 Bays, 5x 3.5 Bays

Graphics Card: ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5 Radeon HD 7870 DirectCU II Video Card - 2048MB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0 (x16), 1x Dual-Link DVI-I, 2x Mini DisplayPort, 1x HDMI, DirectX 11, CrossFireX, Eyefinity 6

Quick Question:

Are are my parts compatible?
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about watts
  1. A 500W PSU like the ModXStream 500W will run it fine.
  2. Best answer
    Yes, but, get 1600MHz RAM. 1866MHZ is a waste if you're just gaming.
    Not a very power intensive system. 600W will run it just fine, but get 650W to give some headroom.
  3. obsama1 said:
    Yes, but, get 1600MHz RAM. 1866MHZ is a waste if you're just gaming.
    Not a very power intensive system. 600W will run it just fine, but get 650W to give some headroom.


    Thanks , but does RAM speed effect gaming whatsoever?
  4. Nope. It'll gain you about 1/2 a frame in some instances, and that's the maximum effect it will have. 1600MHz or even 1333MHz (I'd go with 1600, though) will suffice for gaming.
  5. If 1866 just costs a couple of dollars over 1600 there's no harm in getting it, but don't pay any real premium for it.

    You might want to get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo instead of the Hyper 212 Plus; the Evo is simply an updated version with better heat pipe layout and an improved fan (ostensibly).
  6. 650W is for two 7870s. One will run on 500W just fine.
  7. azeem40 said:
    650W is for two 7870s. One will run on 500W just fine.

    Are you talking about only powering the video card or the whole system?
  8. Sakkura said:
    If 1866 just costs a couple of dollars over 1600 there's no harm in getting it, but don't pay any real premium for it.

    You might want to get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo instead of the Hyper 212 Plus; the Evo is simply an updated version with better heat pipe layout and an improved fan (ostensibly).

    Sadly tigerdirect.ca doesnt sell them. Is the Evo worth it though? I will be overclocking to 4Ghz, maybe 4.5.
  9. Well the Hyper 212 Plus is still good, the Evo is just that little bit better.
  10. Sakkura said:
    Well the Hyper 212 Plus is still good, the Evo is just that little bit better.

    I just order from Newegg since they are both near the 35-40 dollars range
  11. AdrianC4 said:
    Are you talking about only powering the video card or the whole system?

    The whole system. A graphics card won't be using that much power ever.
  12. azeem40 said:
    The whole system. A graphics card won't be using that much power ever.

    thanks , a stupid question by me lol
  13. Best answer selected by AdrianC4.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems