$2000 USD Build

Approximate Purchase Date: Soon???

Budget Range: $1750-$2000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Surfing the Internet, College work, Running game servers (In a Steam group that runs dedicated servers)

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Everything

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, TigerDirect, Amazon

Location: Houston

Parts Preferences: AMD CPU, 16GB of RAM, Name brands

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Silent, Full tower case

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Because
39 answers Last reply
More about 2000 build
  1. CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme 81.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($112.99 @ Microcenter)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($114.98 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($419.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($419.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: NZXT Switch 810 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($179.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($90.51 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1958.40

    Edit: if only there was a way for you to save 90.51$ somewhere you could buy a i7 3770k....
  2. He asked for AMD parts, but why AMD?
  3. My bad mis read it. Agree w/u
  4. garrettk4 said:
    He asked for AMD parts, but why AMD?


    He didn't asked for amd parts, he said he preferred AMD, if he wants amd parts then he doesnt know what he is saying..
  5. I actually do want AMD parts. Who knows what Piledriver will bring?
  6. hunterpostit88 said:
    I actually do want AMD parts. Who knows what Piledriver will bring?


    Dude...get back to the real life, AMD sucks, bulldozer sucks and Pile driver will suck, intel will offer you a LOT more performance for current games
  7. I agree with Aqua. It doesn't get any better than the i5-2500k and i5-3570k for gaming. Leave AMD for the VERY low budget builds.
  8. ^^^FANBOYS^^^
    jk
  9. ^Idiot with no clue of what he is talking about
  10. hunterpostit88 said:
    I actually do want AMD parts. Who knows what Piledriver will bring?


    piledriver is supposed to be 15% faster (more like 10). tacking 10% to a fx 8150 would get you as far as a i5 2300 (probably less). the i5 3570k is 5-8% faster than a 2500k. what do you think?
  11. what i would get

    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/e7Mw

    add another 670 later on if you need more performance. you can always swap the 670s out for 7970s (i like the xfx double d cooler but sapphire is good too.)
  12. aqualipt said:
    Dude...get back to the real life, AMD sucks, bulldozer sucks and Pile driver will suck, intel will offer you a LOT more performance for current games

    You're the guy who was defending Machintosh computers. I thought your name was familiar, but I wasn't sure.. Dude.. you have no room to talk. :lol: :lol: :lol:
  13. nekulturny said:
    You're the guy who was defending Machintosh computers. I thought your name was familiar, but I wasn't sure.. Dude.. you have no room to talk. :lol: :lol: :lol:


    no no no...that's something else, remember that thread we were discussing about Mac OS Vs Windows 7 was for OLD people, and you can't deny that Mac OS is lot more user friendly than windows.
  14. aqualipt said:
    no no no...that's something else, remember that thread we were discussing about Mac OS Vs Windows 7 was for OLD people, and you can't deny that Mac OS is lot more user friendly than windows.

    Oh was that it? lol. Meh, I never really used a Mac OS long enough to see if it was user friendly. Believe it or not, my anti-Mac bias isn't exclusively from their cost. I worked in a warehouse that ships mac products once. All the computers in the warehouse were macs, I worked in the "print room", which did involve using the computers, printing the shipping labels for the "warehouse pickers" to know what products they needed to ship. The system per the on-site tech guy was "Mac computers running microsoft software on a linux server, basically its ducktaped together". It was terrible, the computers would go down constantly, resulting in tons of man hours wasted. Maybe thats not the best experience to relay, but I've found that you can judge how good a company is based on its Logistics network. Machintosh, doesn't have a good one. A pretty dismal sign for a tech company that claims to be on the cutting age to have such computer issues. :heink:

    At any rate, why do you take things so personally? LOL, its the OPs money, not yours. Yes, the FX series fall flat on their face compared to Intel CPUs in certain games, but they really aren't as bad as a lot of people make them out to be.
  15. Quote:
    At any rate, why do you take things so personally? LOL, its the OPs money, not yours. Yes, the FX series fall flat on their face compared to Intel CPUs in certain games, but they really aren't as bad as a lot of people make them out to be.


    i don't know :lol:

    if i have went to college my best guess is that i would be a lawyer by now, i love to argue about everything (when its worth it) but i decided to work with my father doing business with houses and buying franchises :lol: its a lot more money for less work
  16. This thread has gone to ***... Mac is ***. How about the 660Ti guys?!?
  17. I don't like your attitude honestly. I'm the one person who actually is doing something other than telling you to buy Intel, you should be nicer :lol:

    660 TI is performs on par with the 7870 in some games, some games it beats the 7870, some games it loses.
  18. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1021027 $214.98 save: $25.00 - $25.00 Mail In Rebates FREE SHIPPING
    CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
    Corsair Carbide Series 500R Black Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1040984 $353.98 save: $25.00 FREE SHIPPING
    ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0388577 $189.99 (In Store Pick Up Only) 1717 West Loop Drive South Houston, TX Phone: (713) 940-8500
    Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor

    http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Heatsink-Technology-RR-T812-24PK-R1/dp/B007WPHXIS $69.21 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Cooler Master TPC 812 CPU Heatsink Cooling Pad with Vapor Chamber Technology (RR-T812-24PK-R1)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231545 $86.99 FREE SHIPPING
    G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9Q-16GAO

    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-AD-7280S-0B-Internal-Drive-Black/dp/B0057FRTPW/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1345180505&sr=1-2 $17.99 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
    Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive (Black)

    http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST1000DM003/dp/B005T3GRNW/ref=sr_1_8?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1345194632&sr=1-8 $86.63 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST1000DM003

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125423 $399.99 FREE SHIPPING
    GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125423 $399.99 FREE SHIPPING
    GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

    http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64bit-System-Builder/dp/B004Q0PT3I/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b $90.94 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack

    Total: $1,910.69 *not including rebates


    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814998064 $24.99 FREE SHIPPING
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Backplate Model M021-00-000008


    http://www.overclock.net/t/1253432/gigabyte-gtx-670-oc-version-hands-on/690#post_17210416 <----- EVGA 680 back plate for that Gigabyte 670

    http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme6/ <---- another look at that board along with a link to the latest bios update

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77-extreme6-z77a-gd65-z77h2-a2x,3187-2.html <----- review of that board w/benchmarks

    http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2654 <----- review of that CM cpu h/s @ Frosty Tech

    http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm <----- that same CM cpu h/s on Frosty Tech's Top 5 list

    http://www.corsair.com/carbide-series-500r-mid-tower-case.html/ <------ another look at that case
  19. Get these 2 video cards from Tigerdirect:

    Visiontek HD 7970 3 GB $429.99 - $70 Coupon Code DCZ69391 (Apply at checkout) = $359.99 + $9 shipping = $368.99
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3499047&sku=V261-7972+4+GAMES&AffiliateID=lw9MynSeamY-DJv3OfMRd4vF0OH8codoCw&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=lw9MynSeamY-_wOmvxaQJxQrnE0enKs80Q

    4 free games download code include in the purchase

    Buy 2 of those cards since they are on sale atm and the performance is in between the GTX 670 and GTX 680 (if you overclock the HD 7970 it will actually trade blows with the GTX 680 or even beats it, depends on how much you willing to oc)
  20. jacknhut said:
    Get these 2 video cards from Tigerdirect:

    Visiontek HD 7970 3 GB $429.99 - $70 Coupon Code DCZ69391 (Apply at checkout) = $359.99 + $9 shipping = $368.99
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3499047&sku=V261-7972+4+GAMES&AffiliateID=lw9MynSeamY-DJv3OfMRd4vF0OH8codoCw&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=lw9MynSeamY-_wOmvxaQJxQrnE0enKs80Q

    4 free games download code include in the purchase

    Buy 2 of those cards since they are on sale atm and the performance is in between the GTX 670 and GTX 680 (if you overclock the HD 7970 it will actually trade blows with the GTX 680 or even beats it, depends on how much you willing to oc)


    That's a reference 7970...they're hot and loud.
  21. aqualipt said:
    That's a reference 7970...they're hot and loud.


    Well that price is pretty much ideal for the performance, hot and loud is a matter of subjective preference. The GTX 580 cards run even hotter and louder and people didnt really complain since they know what they are getting.

    Since I got the full custom watercool set up, I would be glad to spend that much money to get the performance of 2 HD 7970 and can potentially flash it to the Ghz edition bios and get the performance of the GTX 680 lol without paying 500 bucks each if I didnt already got 2 GTX 670. You can't beat that kind of price/performance really. Its up to the OP to determine if he desires the performance for the cheap price and can tolerate the noise increased or not.
  22. nekulturny said:
    I don't like your attitude honestly. I'm the one person who actually is doing something other than telling you to buy Intel, you should be nicer :lol:

    660 TI is performs on par with the 7870 in some games, some games it beats the 7870, some games it loses.


    watch this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTujzlj11I8&feature=g-user-u
  23. Battlefield 3 does and always has favored Nvidia graphics cards, we know this lol. Linus needs to bench more than one game to get a good sampling.
  24. he does but they are in different videos.
  25. I hate that some games are optimized for Nvidia or AMD. I have to pirate games, just so I can afford one of each video card so I can swap it in depending on what game I want to play. :lol: Guess it depends on what games you play, but with price cuts on the 7870, I still think thats the way I'm gonna go here in a couple months.
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/647?vs=548
  26. pirating is bad and in a way illegal on this site. we have a asian run mall here in toronto where everything is pirated. no way i could buy from there without possibly getting scammed
  27. TheBigTroll said:
    pirating is bad and in a way illegal on this site. we have a asian run mall here in toronto where everything is pirated. no way i could buy from there without possibly getting scammed


    Pirating software and pirating actual physical things is VEEEEERY different, from a programers point of view there is no difference between a pirated software and a legal software
  28. aqualipt said:
    Pirating software and pirating actual physical things is VEEEEERY different, from a programers point of view there is no difference between a pirated software and a legal software


    yeah i know they are the same but then its games so it is software
  29. TheBigTroll said:
    pirating is bad and in a way illegal on this site. we have a asian run mall here in toronto where everything is pirated. no way i could buy from there without possibly getting scammed

    Well, it was really meant to be a joke. But since we're on the subject, at the risk of being moderated, for the sake of discussion. Honestly there are some situations where I have no moral objection at all pirating software.

    Heres a couple examples:

    -Hackintosh. There is absolutely no reason for Mac to make this a violation of ToS. Yes, you agree to ToS when you buy and use the software, however there is legal precedence for the fact that there are some rights you cannot sign away. For example, if you worked for a company and signed a paper saying they can work you as many hours as you want and not have to pay you time and a half for any hours exceeding the federal standard of 40 hour work week, this contract would be invalidated. As such, copyright laws have exceptions for "Fair Use". Now courts have in the past upheld some things that really they should have not due to the Fair Use doctrine. For example, a person was successfully sued for distributing software to "unlock" iphones. . Just like in the constitution slaves were considered 3/5s of a person for voting purposes, just because something is the law of the land doesn't make it right (In my opinion) such is the case here. My opinion is, Fair Use to be amended to include, once you have purchased a product, you should be free to use it however you want, and the burden of proof should be placed on the provider of such products (in this case Machintosh) to demonstrate how certain usage would affect their profit margin or harm their company. And the burden should be profound. It is not in the case here.

    -Microsoft. This is a company that has a long history of patenting (or attempting to patent) technologies they did not invent. Not only do they do this, they've also been known to outright steal technologies from smaller companies they couldn't or didn't want to buy out. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander (again, in my opinion). Not only that, but good lord does anyone know anyone who has owned a single X-box 360 for more than 5 years that hasn't had to buy a 2nd or 3rd one because the damn things keep breaking? Screw them.

    -And don't get me started on how many judges just rubber stamped thousands of dollars in fines on little old ladies because their grandchildren were sharing a couple Metallica songs on Limewire. :lol:
  30. nekulturny said:
    Well, it was really meant to be a joke. But since we're on the subject, at the risk of being moderated, for the sake of discussion. Honestly there are some situations where I have no moral objection at all pirating software.

    Heres a couple examples:

    -Hackintosh. There is absolutely no reason for Mac to make this a violation of ToS. Yes, you agree to ToS when you buy and use the software, however there is legal precedence for the fact that there are some rights you cannot sign away. For example, if you worked for a company and signed a paper saying they can work you as many hours as you want and not have to pay you time and a half for any hours exceeding the federal standard of 40 hour work week, this contract would be invalidated. As such, copyright laws have exceptions for "Fair Use". Now courts have in the past upheld some things that really they should have not due to the Fair Use doctrine. For example, a person was successfully sued for distributing software to "unlock" iphones. . Just like in the constitution slaves were considered 3/5s of a person for voting purposes, just because something is the law of the land doesn't make it right (In my opinion) such is the case here. My opinion is, Fair Use to be amended to include, once you have purchased a product, you should be free to use it however you want, and the burden of proof should be placed on the provider of such products (in this case Machintosh) to demonstrate how certain usage would affect their profit margin or harm their company. And the burden should be profound. It is not in the case here.

    -Microsoft. This is a company that has a long history of patenting (or attempting to patent) technologies they did not invent. Not only do they do this, they've also been known to outright steal technologies from smaller companies they couldn't or didn't want to buy out. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander (again, in my opinion). Not only that, but good lord does anyone know anyone who has owned a single X-box 360 for more than 5 years that hasn't had to buy a 2nd or 3rd one because the damn things keep breaking? Screw them.

    -And don't get me started on how many judges just rubber stamped thousands of dollars in fines on little old ladies because their grandchildren were sharing a couple Metallica songs on Limewire. :lol:


    You know what??




    Edit: jokes aside, if big corps can apply the laws to us, why can't we apply the law to them too?? i mean...let's say you download Windows 7 from microsoft servers and then you make your own crack or serial generator or simply download it... why the hell is that pirating??

    Edit2: to any moderator with the desire of banning me...please don't, i am a good guy :P
  31. aqualipt said:
    You know what??

    http://i50.tinypic.com/25gazdd.png


    Edit: jokes aside, if big corps can apply the laws to us, why can't we apply the law to them too?? i mean...let's say you download Windows 7 from microsoft servers and then you make your own crack or serial generator or simply download it... why the hell is that pirating??

    Edit2: to any moderator with the desire of banning me...please don't, i am a good guy :P


    you can probably use your other account anyways
  32. aqualipt said:



    Edit: jokes aside, if big corps can apply the laws to us, why can't we apply the law to them too?? i mean...let's say you download Windows 7 from microsoft servers and then you make your own crack or serial generator or simply download it... why the hell is that pirating??

    Ah, see they get around it with this very convenient escape clause that "a corporation is not a person". If they want to sue little John A. Scmuck because he used a key gen to get his copy of Windows7 working, they assert their "we are an organization of persons", but they often want it both ways depending on how the situation in question best benefits them.

    If you leave your child locked in a car on a hot day and the child dies, you get charged (and probably convicted) of negligent homicide. Meanwhile, a corporation who makes car seats if they make a faulty model, deliberately cover it up, and refuse to issue a recall on the product, (which legally fits the the definition of Depraved indifference to human life, aka Murder in the 2nd degree.) But the CEO of the company doesn't get hauled off in handcuffs, no matter how many children die, oh no.. just a few federal fines and some multimillion dollar lawsuits and a corporate press release with some wishy-washy feel good words about how the company is committed to the safety of children everywhere yada yada.

    Oh yea.. I know, I'm such an opinionated jerk, and you thought you had the exclusivity here. :lol:
  33. You have to work pretty hard to get banned here. I got a 3 day ban once, and I assure you.. It took a lot to get that.
  34. LOL. they sent me a couple of warnings before but oh well
  35. nekulturny said:
    You have to work pretty hard to get banned here. I got a 3 day ban once, and I assure you.. It took a lot to get that.

    I once called mousemonkey mean and he banned me from the whole forums.
  36. then he comes along and kicks all of us out....
  37. I use pirated software:)
    For example: My Sony Vegas Pro 11, All movies I possibly own(not really software), I'll use it for a keygen to get Windows 8 most likely cause im not paying however many 100's it'll cost for what looks like absolute s*** IMO. My Photoshop is pirated, And some of my games:DI know this doesn't matter. Was scanning and saw someone brought up pirated software:p
  38. lol. i just dont want to end up in the microsoft blacklist
  39. I think I already am :p please don't make me buy Macs Microsoft:/
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product