Sign in with
Your question

I7 950 Heat and performance problems

Last response: in CPUs
December 30, 2012 11:47:23 PM

Hello,

I have a "Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-950" installed in my computer and it has been running fine for a little over a year now with a stock fan, but when i ran a 3D vantage test on my system i got a considerable worse score then normal at 4300 CPU score, while i see people with i5 getting up in the 20k range. I decided to check my cpu and found that it runs at 76 degrees when idle and 88 degrees when under 80% usage.. which is not something i think is good.

I have checked the heatsink and it sits rock solid on the cpu, so i don't think that is the problem.

If anyone can help me i would be grateful

/Ulkan

edit: Also fan speed is at the 1800-2100 rpm range
a c 79 à CPUs
December 31, 2012 1:45:03 PM

your cpu temps are quiet high (hence the high fan speed). this could possibly be because of either dust or poor air flow inside your case. use compressed air to blow out dust from your cpu heat sink. the air flow inside your case should be as linear as possible. air should enter from the front and exit from the back or the other way round but it should be unidirectional.

December 31, 2012 2:11:40 PM

950 is pretty HOT imo. I had my 950 at 60-70 at normal load and like 85-92 at full load, with 4 case fans and re-thermal pasted stock cpu cooler. I had to change the case with good airflow and replace the stock cooler with Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. Now its running at 30-40 at average load and reaches a max of 60 at full load. I suggest you to first buy a aftermarket cpu cooler (Hyper 212 Evo/Plus might just do the job) and see the temperatures. If still higher, then you may need to buy a good air cooling case.. Water cooling is another option if youre not on budget
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2012 3:25:53 PM

ulkan said:
Hello,

I have a "Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-950" installed in my computer and it has been running fine for a little over a year now with a stock fan, but when i ran a 3D vantage test on my system i got a considerable worse score then normal at 4300 CPU score, while i see people with i5 getting up in the 20k range. I decided to check my cpu and found that it runs at 76 degrees when idle and 88 degrees when under 80% usage.. which is not something i think is good.

I have checked the heatsink and it sits rock solid on the cpu, so i don't think that is the problem.

If anyone can help me i would be grateful

/Ulkan

edit: Also fan speed is at the 1800-2100 rpm range

I cant recall my temps with my stock fan, but they weren't that high. I would check if your bios/mb is indeed giving you the correct temp. What program are you using to monitor temps? Try using realtemp and see if the temps are still the same.

When i first installed my e8400 i needed to update bios because it "thought" my CPU was running at 90C and scared me.

I would try reapplying thermal paste, and possibly spending the $30 for an evo 212+ aftermarket cooler.
December 31, 2012 10:34:04 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, i took my heatsink and fan out and blew loads of dust out, (no canned air, just old fashioned mouth blowing) also found that the thermal paste was sort of crusty, so i reapplied with some i had laying over from when i upgraded my GPU.

I am now idling at 34-40 and under 80% load i'm having a stable 54 :) 

Once again thanks
a c 79 à CPUs
January 3, 2013 3:23:57 AM

you are welcome :) 
!