Help with choosing the right graphics card

Hi guys, I'm new here so bare with me.

I have a Dell Studio XPS 8100, it's currently running 2.8gz annd it has 8g ram, but I feel like my graphics card is letting it down. It's a GeForce GTS240. Should I be looking for an upgrade?? If so, what else would I need to change in my PC to make sure it's running smoothly??

Your help will be greatly apriciated!

Carlos
10 answers Last reply
More about help choosing graphics card
  1. Carloscg_02 said:
    Hi guys, I'm new here so bare with me.

    I have a Dell Studio XPS 8100, it's currently running 2.8gz annd it has 8g ram, but I feel like my graphics card is letting it down. It's a GeForce GTS240. Should I be looking for an upgrade?? If so, what else would I need to change in my PC to make sure it's running smoothly??

    Your help will be greatly apriciated!

    Carlos


    Hi Carlos, welcome to Tom's and welcome to the wonderful world of hardware junkies :D

    first of all, let's correct and verify a few things: your computer isn't running 2.8ghz, it's running an intel core (I'm guessing i7-870) at 2.8ghz?

    second of all, yes, the GTS240 is definitely letting your gaming and video rendering capabilities down.

    most dell computers come with a 350W power supply that's not particularly good, so you're looking for an upgrade for gaming and stuch, I would recommend a radeon HD 7750. it would be the best fit for your system and stay within your power supply's limits
  2. The 7750 you want is the 800Mhz version.
  3. Thanks dude!! You've really help out, I would like to stick to a nvidia card, any recommendations?
  4. Carloscg_02 said:
    Thanks dude!! You've really help out, I would like to stick to a nvidia card, any recommendations?


    Hi, I normally recommend a card from both companies just to offer people choices. the problem is, within your budget and power supply limits, there isn't a good Nvidia alternative. the only card that fits the bill from Nvidia is the gtx640, reviewed here
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gt-640-review,3214.html

    as you can see from the review, it is significantly slower than the radeon 7750, and even tom's hardware reviewers agree that it's not really worth buying...
  5. I've not given a budget, but just to just to clear things up I'm looking to spend around $400 :)
  6. Carloscg_02 said:
    I've not given a budget, but just to just to clear things up I'm looking to spend around $400 :)


    ahh, you can afford the wonderful gtx 670 from nvidia then :) unfortunately, your power supply do not have enough juice to run the card. honestly, the 7750 from AMD or the gtx 640 from Nvidia are the only cards I would feel comfortable running on your power supply.

    so this brings us to the question of how do you feel about spending ~$50-60 on a quality power supply, and then $350 on a video card?
  7. That shouldn't be a problem! Sort me out with a nice combo? Lol
  8. here's a nice 650W PSU from an excellent brand:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

    should suffice for any single card on the market. it'll last at least 5 years so you can reuse it in future builds :)

    This here is your best video card from Nvidia:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127682

    unfortunately there's nothing between the gtx 570 and the gtx670 from Nvidia at the moment. if you're willing to wait, you can get a gtx 660 when it's released, or save up a bit more and get that PSU and a 670. either way, this set up should run every game you have maxed out :)
  9. Awesome! Thanks for the help dude! I'll give all this a go and hopefully everything will be fine! Looking forward to buying it all!
  10. Carloscg_02 said:
    Awesome! Thanks for the help dude! I'll give all this a go and hopefully everything will be fine! Looking forward to buying it all!


    you're welcome and good luck! feel free to come back here after you receive everything, changing a PSU can get a bit complicated :P
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Dell Studio Xps Graphics Product