Sign in with
Your question

Severe Screen Tearing when scrolling

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 27, 2012 2:20:40 AM

Hi, i recently bought this machine

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products...;pgid=GwRQXQm6CA9SRpAcIk4e8l7g0000w3nG9LP_?HP-Pavilion-HPE-h9-1135-Phoenix-Desktop-PC&&rwCatalog=-&rwCategory=-

and so far i am loving it dearly.

The one major problem i have with it, though, it the constant screen tearing that occurs when i scroll up or down. For instance, i am watching a video on youtube and decide to scroll down (laggy) and scroll back up, the video 'lags' each time i scroll, causing some frame to overlap each other, like in this picture

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg42/scaled.php?server=4...

It happens on every website, every browser (tried it on chrome, firefox, and explorer) and on every monitor my monitor being this

http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-FPD1975W-Widescreen-High-...

I suspect that it's my GPU, what could it be though? Vsync? Drivers? the machine came with AMD Vision Engine (instead of catalyst control center), so earlier i decided to install 12.4 Catalyst, it never appeared on my HDD so i ignored it and stuck with Vision Engine.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.
June 27, 2012 2:25:54 AM

Quote:
OMFG, you paid $1,230 for that..............

$1,199, and yes i did, mind helping me with my situation instead?
m
l
June 27, 2012 2:27:49 AM

Quote:
What browser are you using?

Firefox 13.0.1

but like i said, it happens in chrome and explorer as well
m
l
Related resources
June 27, 2012 2:37:34 AM

Quote:
EDIT

Do you have any games to test the GPU out with?

Yep, played BF3, WoW, TF2, no screen tearing at all...

m
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
June 27, 2012 2:52:15 AM

maybe something buggy with the flashplayer version you have. try reinstalling it.
m
l
June 27, 2012 3:16:43 AM

dudewitbow said:
maybe something buggy with the flashplayer version you have. try reinstalling it.

I tried reinstalling Flash player, nothing changed

I even installed a 32 bit version of Java (since im using a 32 bit firefox, incase it would help any), nothing changed.

Then i tried Explorer 64-bit version and it works flawlessly, Chrome is tolerable, Firefox is unusable, why is this?
m
l
June 27, 2012 3:27:02 AM

I take that back, it's just as bad in IE and chrome, sigh

Edit: If i scroll fast enough, i see a checkerboard style frame for a split second
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 27, 2012 3:39:57 AM

what video output are you using and have you tried switching the cable?
m
l
June 27, 2012 3:44:58 AM

Au_equus said:
what video output are you using and have you tried switching the cable?

my main monitor uses DVI

My 2nd monitor (that i dont use) is a VGA.

I took my DVI cable out to use my 2nd monitor (which has a VGA to DVI adapter), i still get the same problem. Reason i cant use VGA alone is because my GPU only supports DVI, HDMI, and DP.
m
l
December 4, 2012 4:23:28 PM

Well I just found out that the type of Windows Theme you have installed will have an impact on other things such as browsers and I also noticed my games weren't fully tearing, but they were not right. I had installed a new theme based on Basic (No Aero) and I was experiencing screen tear in Firefox. I checked everything (Nvidia CP, Firefox settings, etc) and then changed my theme back to an Aero based theme and that did the trick. Weird.
m
l
!