Severe Screen Tearing when scrolling

Hi, i recently bought this machine

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Desktops/HP-Pavilion-Elite-Phoenix/QW827AA;pgid=GwRQXQm6CA9SRpAcIk4e8l7g0000w3nG9LP_?HP-Pavilion-HPE-h9-1135-Phoenix-Desktop-PC&&rwCatalog=-&rwCategory=-

and so far i am loving it dearly.

The one major problem i have with it, though, it the constant screen tearing that occurs when i scroll up or down. For instance, i am watching a video on youtube and decide to scroll down (laggy) and scroll back up, the video 'lags' each time i scroll, causing some frame to overlap each other, like in this picture

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg42/scaled.php?server=42&filename=capturencc.png&res=landing

It happens on every website, every browser (tried it on chrome, firefox, and explorer) and on every monitor my monitor being this

http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-FPD1975W-Widescreen-High-Definition-Flat-Panel/dp/B000H2PMXQ

I suspect that it's my GPU, what could it be though? Vsync? Drivers? the machine came with AMD Vision Engine (instead of catalyst control center), so earlier i decided to install 12.4 Catalyst, it never appeared on my HDD so i ignored it and stuck with Vision Engine.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.
9 answers Last reply
More about severe screen tearing scrolling
  1. Quote:
    OMFG, you paid $1,230 for that..............

$1,199, and yes i did, mind helping me with my situation instead?
  2. Quote:
    What browser are you using?

Firefox 13.0.1

but like i said, it happens in chrome and explorer as well
  3. Quote:
    EDIT

Do you have any games to test the GPU out with?

Yep, played BF3, WoW, TF2, no screen tearing at all...
  4. maybe something buggy with the flashplayer version you have. try reinstalling it.
  5. dudewitbow said:
    maybe something buggy with the flashplayer version you have. try reinstalling it.

I tried reinstalling Flash player, nothing changed

I even installed a 32 bit version of Java (since im using a 32 bit firefox, incase it would help any), nothing changed.

Then i tried Explorer 64-bit version and it works flawlessly, Chrome is tolerable, Firefox is unusable, why is this?
  6. I take that back, it's just as bad in IE and chrome, sigh

Edit: If i scroll fast enough, i see a checkerboard style frame for a split second
  7. what video output are you using and have you tried switching the cable?
  8. Au_equus said:
    what video output are you using and have you tried switching the cable?

my main monitor uses DVI

My 2nd monitor (that i dont use) is a VGA.

I took my DVI cable out to use my 2nd monitor (which has a VGA to DVI adapter), i still get the same problem. Reason i cant use VGA alone is because my GPU only supports DVI, HDMI, and DP.
  9. Well I just found out that the type of Windows Theme you have installed will have an impact on other things such as browsers and I also noticed my games weren't fully tearing, but they were not right. I had installed a new theme based on Basic (No Aero) and I was experiencing screen tear in Firefox. I checked everything (Nvidia CP, Firefox settings, etc) and then changed my theme back to an Aero based theme and that did the trick. Weird.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics