goober81

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
I have been reasarching how 3d gaming works and have been learning slowly as I go, but can't seem to get an answer to this question.

Can I use 2 monitors with a minimum refresh rate of 60 hz to display games in 3d? I know that 3D ready monitors or tvs have a 120 hz refresh rate, but if I was to split this in 2 monitors at 60 hz each would that work? That is my first question before moving on to other questions, thanks for your input.

XFX HD Radeon 6770
Dell Ultrasharp 2407 wfp (24 inches)

auntarie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
Usually you would need at least three 120Hz monitors (for a good experience, you can do it with 1 or 2) and an SLI configuration of at least two GTX series cards. I believe AMD only recently introduced HD3D with their 7000 series, so I don't think you'll be able to run 3D on a single 6770.

For 3D, each monitor should be 120Hz. I don't recommend dual-monitor gaming, as it leaves you with a huge black bezel right in the most important part of your screen (your crosshairs). Use either one or three.
A 6770 won't get framerates good enough for 3D in almost any game, even on one monitor. I recommend that you stick with a single 120Hz monitor and get a more powerful graphics card with the money you'd have spent on more monitors.
What are your full specs?

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

Two monitors at 60hz is not remotely the same as one monitor at 120hz.

The point of 120hz for 3D is that every other frame is blocked to one eye to create the 3D effect. So, it effectively cuts the refresh rate in half. 120hz then becomes the standard 60hz, while 60hz becomes a mess at 30hz.

A pair of 60hz monitors won't become a single 60hz monitor in 3D, it will be a pair of 30hz monitors next to each other.

You can do that by using iz3d driver for dual display 3D output and you will see 3d image by crossing your eye but I don't think it will do you any good for your eyesight, unless there is a glasses with lenses that can cross the screens for you. Without glasses to cross the image for you, you may end up looking like this:
3.jpg

goober81

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
Lmao, ill give it a few more years when 3d is the norm, I planned on buying another monitor because there was a good deal on it then wait to purchase third one. They were going for over 200 apiece and managed to find one for 65 bucks but no dice after I read everyones input. im better off getting a 3d ready monitor or tv and waiting on a better graphics card. I dont want to keep buying a new pc if I can upgrade it every few years same for a monitor. I dont consider myself a hardcore gamer, its more of an interest for me. Im curious about the 3d effect in games and that was why I asked about it, looking for a cheap way to play 3d. Thanks for your input, I learn something new everyday.

Kajabala in case you still want to know my specs are...

cooler master elite 300
Phenom II 960t
Asus m4a87td
HD radeon 6770
4gb ddr3 amd performance edition 1600 mhz
windows 7
corsair 500 watt 80 bronze
HP 24x dvd-rw
320 gb hdd PATA
500 gb seagate SATA

If you want a cheaper way into 3D, look at passive 3D screens. They don't require nearly as much power, as it takes a 1080p screen, and splits half the pixels for each eye. It also does not require 120hz, as both eyes see every frame, only every frames pixel count is cut in half and visible by one eye or the other with the use of polarization.

If you just want to play around, you could get red/cyan glasses and download iz3d or Tridef software and try it out. It won't be as good, but it may give you an idea of what it is like.