[Priest] Spot Report - The Molten Core

Last response: in Video Games
August 2, 2005 1:07:12 PM

I succombed to the assaults from a few non-guildmate friends yesterday
night and joined a raid over the Molten Core. Ragnaros has not been
killed yet on our server, for your information.

Here are my thoughts.

_it is ugly.
Yeah, but what would you expect from the pocketplane of fire? It's not
going to look like Winterspring, that's for sure ;)  I would have loved
to see a level of details and background similar to what you see in
Blackrock Depths, for example (best looking instance in my opinion).

_it is nothing like any instance I've been in before. Fights there get
to an epic scale, and some classes (warriors, for example) get to truly
shine over others, the crown of most bored class over there going to
hunters probably, with the exception of the main puller.

_you might find yourself completely overwhelmed by the density of fights
there. It's generally one or two gigantic mobs against a zerg of 40
people, with hardly any room for crowd control.

That's what happened to me in the first two fights: I had troubles
picking up the right target for my heals and ended up out of mana before
having done the heals that were important - be ready to interrupt and
resume spellcasting a lot.

_Buffing is an ill-located pain. Debuffing is hardly possible without
some kind of UI add-on such as Decursive. Not because of speed, rather
because the battlefield is so huge that you end up out of range 50% of
the time if you do it manually. I didn't have any buff-debuff helper,
but quickly got the grasp of it anyway, and with proper teamwork you can
get things done easily.

_Unbuffed cloth users get hit for about 850 physical per hit. That's
with around 10-15% damage reduction. So consider the base damage to be
around 1000.

_Boss fights are fun and very varied. It's the opposite from mundane
instances, where bosses are the easiest enemies in comparison to some
tricky pulls or add situations. Now bosses are a whole new scenery. They
make good use of their bodyguards, and you get to enjoy several "fights
in the fight" before enjoying looting the big boss out of its epics.

During that two hours visit, our raid killed Gehennas and Garr.

_cheers Gehennas. You're one bad piece of bad boy. Your rain of fire is
troublesome, and I hated it when I got out of it to heal myself only to
be struck by your 2000 damage shadow bolt. Sigh. What's 80 shadow
resistance for? :'(

I was a healer there. For the first two or three fights I had troubles
adapting to the new kind of healing strategy, and ended up using The
Single Very Best Heal Spell Of Them All (TSVBHSOTA): Heal [rank 2].

People might say what? oh my god? a level 22 heal spell being main heal
spell in MC? And I'll just tell them... that it worked as a mainstay
heal. This is the spell I'd cast whenever I didn't know what else to do.
For that kind of battle it's the best thing to do to keep casting heals.
Mana cost on that one is insignificant so I could keep spamming it all
night long, and overheal is harly a matter. Its healing effect on a 41
Holy / 10 Disc is at around 600-700 heal / 900-1000 crit heal every 3
seconds. With renew on top of that, I gave other healers a very
interesting HoT negating 280dps on the main tank, with the occasional
crit for inspiration and all.

When 9 people are looking after the tanks, it's hard to NOT to waste
flash heals. Even with the UI mod to interrupt casting, lag might cause
a hefty number of people to get heal fizzles. Heal [rank 2] was hardly
wasted. It's equivalent to the damage the bosses were doing per hit on
the tanks. And I can safely assume my target will get hit once or twice
if it's at full life when I start casting.

I knew other healers were flash-happy, so I knew I could trust them in
case of emergencies (crit damages from the bosses). Hence my job to keep
them from seeing those emergencies at all, by casting this low level
heal (that gets all benefits from + healing items, btw) all fight long.
As said before, its mana cost is low, the healing done is significant,
and I used it purely as a heal over time to double the effect of all
Renew, Regrowth and Rejuvenation added together. It worked well, very
well from my point of view.

I'm so glad I had kept it in my hotkey bar, I knew I would find another
use for it since I had to give it up as "one and only" heal spell when
doing 5-men Uldaman, Simon Nejmann might remember that argument ;)

In short: in my opinion any high level raid should have one Master
Healer perform this, it compliments flash heal damn nicely! - so says
the master healer with only 5176 unbuffed mana. I need to do the maths,
but maybe Heal [rank 1] is even better for the task thanks to the 2.5
seconds cast.

But this needs additional maths involving +heal items, as at the time of
the raid I only had +46 heal (could increase that to +90 without any
mana loss, as I had left a quest item that gives nothing in my ammy spot).
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 1:07:13 PM

Babe Bridou wrote:
> That's what happened to me in the first two fights: I had troubles
> picking up the right target for my heals and ended up out of mana before
> having done the heals that were important - be ready to interrupt and
> resume spellcasting a lot.

> People might say what? oh my god? a level 22 heal spell being main heal
> spell in MC? And I'll just tell them...

There are mods that will interrupt you if your target gets healed while
you're casting, and also mods that will automatically cast a lower heal
if you target is less than badly wounded.

I've never seen it (as I don't play any healing classes), but a friend
was telling me about a mod called CastOptions (sp?) that is suppose to
do it all.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 1:07:13 PM

stush@rocketmail.com wrote:
> Babe Bridou wrote:
> > That's what happened to me in the first two fights: I had troubles
> > picking up the right target for my heals and ended up out of mana before
> > having done the heals that were important - be ready to interrupt and
> > resume spellcasting a lot.

> > People might say what? oh my god? a level 22 heal spell being main heal
> > spell in MC? And I'll just tell them...
>
> There are mods that will interrupt you if your target gets healed while
> you're casting, and also mods that will automatically cast a lower heal
> if you target is less than badly wounded.
>
> I've never seen it (as I don't play any healing classes), but a friend
> was telling me about a mod called CastOptions (sp?) that is suppose to
> do it all.

There are also bots running around, they say.

I had 5-15 frames per second down there and 150ms latency. I'll forget
one click wonder mods, thanks, the party/raid/target/tooltip windows
are slow enough to refresh, and the combat log is bugged enough for me
to give up on that kind of mods all together.

The only useful mod would be one that darkens raidmates that are out of
range on ct_raidassist, and possibly give me directions towards them
(by sharing coordinates on demand, or something like that).
August 2, 2005 1:07:13 PM

Simon Nejmann wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 09:07:12 +0200, Babe Bridou
> <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I succombed to the assaults from a few non-guildmate friends yesterday
> >night and joined a raid over the Molten Core. Ragnaros has not been
> >killed yet on our server, for your information.
>
> Nor has he on my server, but horde (the group Im in) spawned him for
> the first time last saturday (alliance has been there a bit longer).

Alliance and horde both got it to spawn something like a week ago. Last
tuesday, alliance killed Onyxia, on friday horde killed Onyxia... it's
quite the race around here :p

> >_you might find yourself completely overwhelmed by the density of fights
> >there. It's generally one or two gigantic mobs against a zerg of 40
> >people, with hardly any room for crowd control.
>
> /sign *2 :)
>
> Crowd control is limited to some boss fights and banishing those stone
> elemental lookalikes (Lava Surger, Lava Anihallator, ...).

That fight against Garr was fun, up to the point when the adds explode
that is :)

> >_Buffing is an ill-located pain. Debuffing is hardly possible without
> >some kind of UI add-on such as Decursive. Not because of speed, rather
> >because the battlefield is so huge that you end up out of range 50% of
> >the time if you do it manually. I didn't have any buff-debuff helper,
> >but quickly got the grasp of it anyway, and with proper teamwork you can
> >get things done easily.
>
> Aye, get decursive asap - you are going to need it for Lucifron, Baron
> Geddon and Sulfuron.
> Mages also need it for some fights.

Aye, Gehennas' curse was a pain.

> >During that two hours visit, our raid killed Gehennas and Garr.
>
> Grats - I take it Lucifron and Magmadar had been killed in a previous
> run?

Probably, I joined in a hurry!

> >_cheers Gehennas. You're one bad piece of bad boy. Your rain of fire is
> >troublesome, and I hated it when I got out of it to heal myself only to
> >be struck by your 2000 damage shadow bolt. Sigh. What's 80 shadow
> >resistance for? :'(
>
> Heh, yep that rain of fire hurts. But you have not started to hate
> random targeted effects untill you have gotten firebloomed a few times
> by Firewalkers for 3k+ per hit...

*shiver*

> >I was a healer there. For the first two or three fights I had troubles
> >adapting to the new kind of healing strategy, and ended up using The
> >Single Very Best Heal Spell Of Them All (TSVBHSOTA): Heal [rank 2].
>
> >I'm so glad I had kept it in my hotkey bar, I knew I would find another
> >use for it since I had to give it up as "one and only" heal spell when
> >doing 5-men Uldaman, Simon Nejmann might remember that argument ;)
>
> Ya, and since I don't want to get into an argument with you again I
> will just pass your choice of healing spell in silence. This is an
> argument between you and the group you go with - if they find that you
> pull your weight all is good, if not they should (will) let you
> know...

5th out of 9 overall on the healing meter, apparently. Considering I'm
not overhealing at all with this method, I take it as something useful.
People congratulated me after the raid, so I guess it's a good sign.

They will know eventually, but so far, so good I'd say : less deaths on
the raid, less mana spent, once I started doing this, unless I'm
mistaken *our* raid was doing better with heal 2 than without.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 1:07:13 PM

Simon Nejmann wrote:
> On 2 Aug 2005 04:20:53 -0700, "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Simon Nejmann wrote:
> >> On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 09:07:12 +0200, Babe Bridou
> As far as I know, our groups first trip to MC was on the 26. of June,
> so about 1 month ago (nobody horde side had done anything worth
> mentioning in MC before that), and on our last trip 29. of July we
> cleared the first 8 bosses in 6 hours.
> The day after we killed Majordomo for the first time (second try: had
> 3-4 wipes the first time, killed him 1. try this one) and spawned
> Ragnaros for the first time (3-4 wipes :) .
>
> The day after that we had hordes first try on Onyxia (again 3-4 wipes
> - we started out with only 35 persons though :(  ).
>
> This week we do it all again, and Onyxia _will_ die this time!
> I don't think Ragnaros will, but I will be _so_ happy if he does -
> alliance has tried him for a few months now and only gotten him to
> about 60%.
> Ooh the happy happy joy if we beat them :D
>
> In any case, I think we are making good progress :)

Good luck on that one, Ragnaros looks like one of the hardest boss in
there!

> >> Crowd control is limited to some boss fights and banishing those stone
> >> elemental lookalikes (Lava Surger, Lava Anihallator, ...).
> >
> >That fight against Garr was fun, up to the point when the adds explode
> >that is :)
>
> Heh, last fight one of the adds got banished right next to Garr, so
> one of the warriors decided to move it and arranged that with the
> banishing warlock - he had just gotten it out of range of the melee
> group when Garr decided to blow it up.
> Of course, that also meant that he had gotten it into range of our
> healers - lost 4-5 healers to that one. >:(
>
> We still won the fight without problems though. :)

yeah we got some bad piece of lag against Garr at some point. When I
"awoke", all tanks were in the red and raid chat was spammed with lag
lag lag... Garr is easy once you grasped the basic strategy. Of course
he fell without a wipe, even with the lag patrol ;)

> >> Aye, get decursive asap - you are going to need it for Lucifron, Baron
> >> Geddon and Sulfuron.
> >> Mages also need it for some fights.
> >
> >Aye, Gehennas' curse was a pain.
>
> And the Baron drops a 500 mana+health per tick magic dot on the entire
> party - priests become decursive (demagic?) bots there.

cheerio!

> >> you have not started to hate
> >> random targeted effects untill you have gotten firebloomed a few times
> >> by Firewalkers for 3k+ per hit...
> >
> >*shiver*
>
> Yep, and there is not really anything you can do about it (except try
> to dispell the -fire resist debuffs and pray for a small hit).
>
> >5th out of 9 overall on the healing meter, apparently. Considering I'm
> >not overhealing at all with this method, I take it as something useful.
> >People congratulated me after the raid, so I guess it's a good sign.
> >
> >They will know eventually, but so far, so good I'd say : less deaths on
> >the raid, less mana spent, once I started doing this, unless I'm
> >mistaken *our* raid was doing better with heal 2 than without.
>
> Of course you helped - the question is if you helped enough to take
> you over somebody else and enought to justify the loot you are going
> to get (no offence meant - keep reading).
>
> However, not only were I not there, I am also not an officer on your
> run, so I will not get involved in some theoretical discussion over
> whether you did the right thing or not. If you underperformed you will
> be told, and if you did well you will be invited again.
>
> Your healing style is quite different from mine - end of story. I will
> neither speak for or against your style - I tried that before and
> found out that you were just as unswayable by arguments as I am, and
> that Im happier just not caring and letting you do your thing :)

Fair enough!

you're following the majority in there, and as said before, my style is
what I think helps the most the majority. Just thinking about 8 persons
starting to cast a flash heal, 4 interrupting after 1 second, 2 healing
and 2 burning their mana due to lag or whatever, I said to myself...
better get out of this interrupting madness and spam nice slow mana
efficient and always useful little heals. They will be there to assist
if it gets rough, and I can always hit the "3" key and cast my own
flash heals if it gets rough as well.

I embrace the superiority of my intuition over any kind of decision
mechanism regarding non instant casting. I have an equivalent to a
Master of Science in Automatic Systems & applied maths. I know their
limits, I know them damn well. Add some kind of delay to the simplest
system of them all to make it terribly complex and impossible to
automatize. That's why I won't ever toggle the "auto interrupt" feature
on CT_raidassist.

Decursive, on the other hand, well I can see the usefulness now -
mainly because it helps targetting party members that are in range. And
that's the major difficulty for me here!

> Ps. Out of curiosity: How do you distribute loot?

They were using some sort of DKP system. When I joined the raid I told
them straight away that I wasn't after loot at all, which is true,
still true, and will be true. Again, these guys were not my guild, but
friends.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 1:07:13 PM

Alastair Foster wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 09:07:12 +0200, Babe Bridou
> <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I succombed to the assaults from a few non-guildmate friends yesterday
> >night and joined a raid over the Molten Core. Ragnaros has not been
> >killed yet on our server, for your information.
> >
> >Here are my thoughts.
> >

> <SNIP>
>
> I am really glad i am a rogue, therefore wont have to do any raid
> healing. I am 58 now. Nearly able to go to MC. I am all scared now :-)

Hehehe, I hope you've got all your bandages at hand, cause you WILL
need them ;)
August 2, 2005 3:37:59 PM

stush@rocketmail.com wrote:
> Babe Bridou wrote:
> > That's what happened to me in the first two fights: I had troubles
> > picking up the right target for my heals and ended up out of mana
> > before having done the heals that were important - be ready to
> > interrupt and resume spellcasting a lot.

> > People might say what? oh my god? a level 22 heal spell being main heal
> > spell in MC? And I'll just tell them...
>
> There are mods that will interrupt you if your target gets healed while
> you're casting, and also mods that will automatically cast a lower heal
> if you target is less than badly wounded.
>
> I've never seen it (as I don't play any healing classes), but a friend
> was telling me about a mod called CastOptions (sp?) that is suppose to
> do it all.

CTRaid assist can do that as well. You'll probably want this anyway when
going to raid instances even though Blizzard's Raid addition in patch 1.6
is good. It just can do so much more.

As Priest, I particularly like the "show MT's target target" option which
generally shows which player is gonna get the next blow so I can plan my
healing accordingly and in advance. Only works when the raid leader set's
up CTRA or delegates the ability to someone who can do it. Which is not
always going to happen in every pickup group.

CU

René

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 4:58:56 PM

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 09:07:12 +0200, Babe Bridou
<babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I succombed to the assaults from a few non-guildmate friends yesterday
>night and joined a raid over the Molten Core. Ragnaros has not been
>killed yet on our server, for your information.

Nor has he on my server, but horde (the group Im in) spawned him for
the first time last saturday (alliance has been there a bit longer).

>_it is ugly.
>Yeah, but what would you expect from the pocketplane of fire? It's not
>going to look like Winterspring, that's for sure ;)  I would have loved
>to see a level of details and background similar to what you see in
>Blackrock Depths, for example (best looking instance in my opinion).

I don't think it is ugly - it is just the same all over... Once you
have killed the first two giants and taken a look at the lava below
you have seen it all. Except for Ragnaros' room - that one looks a bit
different and big Mr. Bossman himself is certainly impressive. :)

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 09:07:12 +0200, Babe Bridou
<babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I succombed to the assaults from a few non-guildmate friends yesterday
>night and joined a raid over the Molten Core. Ragnaros has not been
>killed yet on our server, for your information.
>
>Here are my thoughts.

<SNIP>

I am really glad i am a rogue, therefore wont have to do any raid
healing. I am 58 now. Nearly able to go to MC. I am all scared now :-)

--
"Nintendo could have been making all the mistakes in the world before.
But because they were up against Sega, nobody noticed"

wrote:

>Simon Nejmann wrote:
>> On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 09:07:12 +0200, Babe Bridou
>> <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I succombed to the assaults from a few non-guildmate friends yesterday
>> >night and joined a raid over the Molten Core. Ragnaros has not been
>> >killed yet on our server, for your information.
>>
>> Nor has he on my server, but horde (the group Im in) spawned him for
>> the first time last saturday (alliance has been there a bit longer).
>
>Alliance and horde both got it to spawn something like a week ago. Last
>tuesday, alliance killed Onyxia, on friday horde killed Onyxia... it's
>quite the race around here :p

As far as I know, our groups first trip to MC was on the 26. of June,
so about 1 month ago (nobody horde side had done anything worth
mentioning in MC before that), and on our last trip 29. of July we
cleared the first 8 bosses in 6 hours.
The day after we killed Majordomo for the first time (second try: had
3-4 wipes the first time, killed him 1. try this one) and spawned
Ragnaros for the first time (3-4 wipes :) .

The day after that we had hordes first try on Onyxia (again 3-4 wipes
- we started out with only 35 persons though :(  ).

This week we do it all again, and Onyxia _will_ die this time!
I don't think Ragnaros will, but I will be _so_ happy if he does -
alliance has tried him for a few months now and only gotten him to
about 60%.
Ooh the happy happy joy if we beat them :D

In any case, I think we are making good progress :)

>> Crowd control is limited to some boss fights and banishing those stone
>> elemental lookalikes (Lava Surger, Lava Anihallator, ...).
>
>That fight against Garr was fun, up to the point when the adds explode
>that is :)

Heh, last fight one of the adds got banished right next to Garr, so
one of the warriors decided to move it and arranged that with the
banishing warlock - he had just gotten it out of range of the melee
group when Garr decided to blow it up.
Of course, that also meant that he had gotten it into range of our
healers - lost 4-5 healers to that one. >:(

We still won the fight without problems though. :)

>> Aye, get decursive asap - you are going to need it for Lucifron, Baron
>> Geddon and Sulfuron.
>> Mages also need it for some fights.
>
>Aye, Gehennas' curse was a pain.

And the Baron drops a 500 mana+health per tick magic dot on the entire
party - priests become decursive (demagic?) bots there.

>> >During that two hours visit, our raid killed Gehennas and Garr.
>>
>> Grats - I take it Lucifron and Magmadar had been killed in a previous
>> run?
>
>Probably, I joined in a hurry!

Did the Ancient Core Hounds respawn (think The Beast from UBRS on
steroids)? If not then Magmadar was dead.

>> you have not started to hate
>> random targeted effects untill you have gotten firebloomed a few times
>> by Firewalkers for 3k+ per hit...
>
>*shiver*

Yep, and there is not really anything you can do about it (except try
to dispell the -fire resist debuffs and pray for a small hit).

>5th out of 9 overall on the healing meter, apparently. Considering I'm
>not overhealing at all with this method, I take it as something useful.
>People congratulated me after the raid, so I guess it's a good sign.
>
>They will know eventually, but so far, so good I'd say : less deaths on
>the raid, less mana spent, once I started doing this, unless I'm
>mistaken *our* raid was doing better with heal 2 than without.

Of course you helped - the question is if you helped enough to take
you over somebody else and enought to justify the loot you are going
to get (no offence meant - keep reading).

However, not only were I not there, I am also not an officer on your
run, so I will not get involved in some theoretical discussion over
whether you did the right thing or not. If you underperformed you will
be told, and if you did well you will be invited again.

Your healing style is quite different from mine - end of story. I will
neither speak for or against your style - I tried that before and
found out that you were just as unswayable by arguments as I am, and
that Im happier just not caring and letting you do your thing :)

Ps. Out of curiosity: How do you distribute loot?

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 7:23:18 PM

On 2 Aug 2005 06:05:19 -0700, "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Decursive, on the other hand, well I can see the usefulness now -
>mainly because it helps targetting party members that are in range. And
>that's the major difficulty for me here!

I repeat: Get decursive! :)

It autoscans through the entire raid and dispells what it can (one
dispell per button push), and you can set up a priority list so the
tanks get dispelled first (it goes: Target, list, you, party, raid).

It also doesn't change your target which I like very much.

It does have a small bug though:
If somebody is debuffed with both a magic and a curse effect it will
sometimes see the curse and ignore the target without curing the
magic.
This is not such a big problem though, since no mob in MC throws both
curses and magic debuffs - but I would like to see it fixed...

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann