Sign in with
Your question

Fx 6200 idle temps creeping up....

Last response: in CPUs
December 31, 2012 1:39:02 AM

I just finished putting together my new computer, and as I was entering the bios the first time to set the boot priority so I could install windows 7, I noticed my fx 6200 cpu temp was a bit high. Upon rebooting, I watched the temperature increase from a starting point of 36C, up to about 41C over a few minutes, after which I then turned the computer off. This may be a very minor thing, and may even be normal, but this being my first build, I am fairly skeptical right now. Should it be doing that? If I didn't turn off the system, I am positive it would continue to rise at a rate of about 0.5C every 40 seconds or so, since that's what its been doing already. Any advice?
a c 78 à CPUs
December 31, 2012 2:12:15 AM

Watch it again and this time let it go ( and watch the CPU fan to ensure it's actually spinning) until it stabilizes or gets to ~55C. Then shut it down and re-install your heat sink. (Remove, clean off old thermal paste, re-apply small amount of thermal paste, and reinstall the heat sink)
m
l
December 31, 2012 2:27:29 AM

Z1NONLY said:
Watch it again and this time let it go ( and watch the CPU fan to ensure it's actually spinning) until it stabilizes or gets to ~55C. Then shut it down and re-install your heat sink. (Remove, clean off old thermal paste, re-apply small amount of thermal paste, and reinstall the heat sink)

Alright, it stabilized at 41.5. It hasn't gone any higher in about 3 and a half minutes, so I'm inclined to think that this is more or less as high as its going to go. Would you still reinstall the cpu fan? Also, upon further research, I've heard that uefi bios puts a decent load on the cpu, and is not ideal for testing cpu temps. When I install windows 7, I think I may find that the cpu temps are a bit less.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
December 31, 2012 10:03:59 AM

I would reinstall the cooler just to be sure. -If you still have some thermal paste to reinstall. (Remember not to use too much.)

If you still have the same temps:

Set your BIOS temperature alarm to a low setting, and install windows. The installation itself will put a little stress on the CPU and you won't be able to watch temps then. So set the alarm low and listen for it while you install your OS.

Once you have your OS installed, download HWmonitor and see what it says your temps are. BIOS doesn't always show the correct temps.

m
l
!