New Gaming Computer

Hello gents!!

Its been almost 10 years since I built my own PC and I'm just looking to get pointed in the right direction before I build another. This PC will primarily be used for MMO gaming.

CAS: Corsair Carbide 300R Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ front USB 3.0

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3570 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 [-24]

FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)

HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)

MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)

MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX] MSI Z77A-G41 Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Winki 3, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 2x PCIe X16 (1 Gen3, 1 Gen2), 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI

OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking

POWERSUPPLY: * 750 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready [+71]

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+202] (MSI Twin Frozr II OC 750 Mhz Powered by NVIDIA)

I'm trying to keep the build around $900.00 which this has already exceeded a bit.

Thank you all for your time in reading this.

Look forward to any suggestions.

Scott
6 answers Last reply
More about gaming computer
  1. You wouldnt need an aftermarket fan, since the processor isnt even a K chip. (It will still OC but not more than 3.7? I think. Thats turbo mode btw.) Infact, you can go with an H77 as it will still do good, since you arent OCing. Id go with a 7870 for a video card. Consumes much less power, OCs like a boss and performs like a champ.
  2. Drop the water cooler if you are not overclocking, no need for something so extreme. If you still want aftermarket cooling, a CM Hyper 212 EVO will be plenty sufficient.
    Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO. $35
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

I agree with Nw333 that a HD7870 would be a better option at that price point, the HD78XX series dominates the mid range. I can vouch personally for the 7870's overclocking capability (though it still performs quite well at stock).
    Gigabyte HD7879 Factory OC'd. $300
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125418

An SSD will make your computer blazingly quick, once you get one you will wonder how you ever survived on a HDD boot drive. Typically people get a small (~128GB) SSD and a large HDD. Put the OS and programs on the SSD and use the HDD for movies, documents and such. I recommend the OCZ Vertex 4, its one of the fastest drives on the market and priced very competitively.
    OCZ Vertex 4 128GB. $115
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227791

Rest of the build is pretty much perfect.
  3. Ive been doing more research and love the suggestions you both made, and agree completely. The only thing is that video card your recommending is a lot more expensive then the 570 and from what Ive been reading the 570 seems to be able to run any of the latest games in high.

I don't plan on OCing anything when I get it
  4. Hey guys, quick question I haven't quite found researching. Given my build, will my GPU run say Guild Wars 2 on high given my monitor's recommended resolution is 1920 x 1200. This is a general inquiry, as I have already placed my order. I suppose depending on how quickly I get advice on here, I could call customer service and upgrade my GPU (if necessary, as I already exceeded my budget on this build).

Thanks for all your advice gents, your time is valued and appreciated.

Scott
  5. any comments?
  6. Guild Wars 2 (and other MMO type games) are not all that intensive graphically, so even old hardware should be able to run it fine. You don't need a powerful rig to max it out. Yours will do just fine at that resolution.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product