Radeon 6870 BSODs, driver problem, or bad card?

dimes and nickles

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
I got a an XFX radeon 6870. BSODs 20 to 60 minutes after starting a game; sometimes BSOD while surfing the net. Tried 12.4 drivers, 12.2 drivers, 11.12 drivers.

5 BSODs, 4 of those 5 have been SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION with a splattering of drivers mentioned (ntoskrnl.exe common to all), the other was PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. The drivers mentioned seem very random, except for the ntoskrnl.exe.

Games will sometimes not BSOD, but rather crash and give a "fatal error" message, usually referencing something like a "thread_exception" or something (didnt really read them).

Old 4850 works fine. On board video works fine. Nothing overclocked. Brand new card, brand new problem.

Im suspecting bad card. But before I RMA I was wondering if anyone had heard of this problem being driver related.

I am having absolutely no luck at all with video cards recently.

dimes and nickles

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Yep, 20 minutes after fresh driver install inside a game, bam, BSOD, first try.

I try to do clean driver installs; after uninstalling in normal mode, I go to safe mode and use driver sweeper.

Ill try those new drivers too, just in case.

dimes and nickles

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
ran chkdisk, did sfc /scannow, nothing wrong... system service exception BSOD with new drivers after sitting in a game menu, like usual.

Have to RMA and wait at least another 7 days now to get a new card.

Not impressed so far with my first XFX card.

TRENDING THREADS