AMD FX-8120 low physics score, help needed

tru3n1gma

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
Hey guys, new poster to this forum and I am trying to fix a problem that I have been having with my FX-8120. I know that this isn't a top-of-the-line CPU but it should be able to run most games with ease and I have not been having a good time trying to run these games without any problems.

I recently upgraded my graphics card to a NVIDIA GTX 660 which I thought would alleviate all the fps problems, but I eventually figured out that it has always been my CPU that has been bottlenecking my GPU, so the upgrade to the 660 was pointless. After figuring out that it was my CPU's problem, I ran a stress test using 3dMark11 with the results here:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5407321
(this may be the results after i overclocked it, but the physics scores were both around 3k)

The physics score seems abnormally low and I am not sure what to do to fix it. I know for the GPU, the simple solution is to just update the drivers, but for the CPU, it seems like the only solution would be to overclock it, and that is exactly what I tried to do. However, even after overclocking it through the BIOS and setting the multipler to 20x(~4.0 Ghz) and voltage to 1.4 volts, I still get relatively around the same score.

Now is the part where I am stuck and do not know what to do next. I already recently reformatted my computer so it is not a virus problem. Two things that I can think of that I have not tried out yet is to either take apart the computer and look inside to make sure everything is connected properly, and to update the BIOS to the latest version. So can anyone give me some guidance as to what I should do next?

I also should add that I turned off the turbo option in the BIOS since a lot of people recommended to do that before overclocking, still didn't change my physics score though.

edit - Could it also be a motherboard problem? My mobo is an ASROCK N68-VS3 FX and I have heard that it is pretty old compared to the newer generation mobos

tru3n1gma

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
after updating the BIOS to the latest version and overclocking it to a stable setting (one that doesnt crash when i do a stress test) the score increased by about 300-500. here is the new result:

http://www.3dmark.com/healthcheck/3dm11/5407863

however, that still leaves me at 3500 when i should be 5200. is there anything else i am missing?

to falc0n: so do you think it could be the motherboard/power supply?

Can't see how the motherboard or PSU would be the problem. But something isn't right. It should be performing better than that.

Scott_D_Bowen

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
If just 1 in 20 of your frames stutter it makes stuff unplayable.
- http://techreport.com/review/23750/amd-fx-8350-processor-reviewed/5

Doesn't sound like much, until you realize that at 60fps that means 3 frames will stutter (badly) every single second.

The single 'average FPS' metric is absolute rubbish, it hides all sorts of useful data that only a 2D graph can show.

Yeah, sharing the FPU was a great idea AMD... really... </sarc>