Sign in with
Your question

Two computers sharing one printer.

Last response: in Networking
August 17, 2011 6:56:47 PM

Hello, I have 2 computers(1 and 2) connected to a router with ethenet cables and printer connected to computer 1. With both computers on, both can use the printer. With computer 1 turned off, computer 2 cannot access the printer. So, what do I need to allow computer 2 to access the computer when computer 1 is off? Thanks!
Anonymous
August 17, 2011 8:41:38 PM

A network print server.
m
l
Anonymous
August 18, 2011 10:53:48 AM

Quote:
Set the computer sharing the printer:
1: determine the two machines have been connected into the LAN, in the same workgroup, and guaranteed visits.
2: Connect the printer on the computer to ensure correct printer driver installed, and normal use.
3: Check the Network Neighborhood Properties in the Local Area Connection Properties "Microsoft Networks File and Printer Sharing" is not a hook
4: Open My Computer, Control Panel, open Printers and Faxes, here we must be set to the default printer, if not the default printer, right mouse button to set the default printer.
5: Select the printer properties, then were back, choose to share printers, share name, NOTE: If it is not XP system, then the next time you need to install other drivers, remember to remember.
Set the computer using the shared printer:
1: Open My Computer - properties - computer name - to see whether the two computers the same workgroup.
2: Open My Network Places, View workgroup and computer.
3: Open the back to see the other computers are shared printer, double-click to install the shared printer driver, and after installation open the computer - control panel - printers and fax machines, you will find a good network printer has been added.
This can be used

Did you even read the OP's post? He already has printer sharing setup but wants to print from the second computer when the first is not powered on.
m
l
August 18, 2011 2:40:11 PM

Quote:
Did you even read the OP's post? He already has printer sharing setup but wants to print from the second computer when the first is not powered on.

Grumpy--thanks for your reply--that's what I need to know.
m
l
!