CM HAF XB - Hot Swap / X Dock not responding

DawgMach1

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Hi. I hope you guys have a quick and easy fix...

Problem: X Dock / Hot Swap drive bays will not recognize any hard drive I install in to the bay. Here's a quick synopsis of what I have done to troubleshoot the problem.

1. The drives are warm when I pull them out of the bay, so I know they are getting power.
2. Installed properly in the X Dock tray, with and with out screws to keep them from flexing / moving in the tray.
3. Installed the one 4 pin power connector to the back plate for the X Dock, and installed the two SATA cables to the Mobo SATA III ports.
4. Tested 3 different HDD's in each X Dock tray / bay. (The HDD's work, tested in other systems).
5. All drivers and BIOS are up to date, with no errors on the device manager.

This is part of a new build I just completed. Below are the spec's:

Case: CM HAF XB
CPU: AMD FX 8350 Black Edition
Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
RAM: G.Skill Ares DDR3-1866 32MB (4 sticks)
Video: 2 EVGA 9800GTX+

Thanks!

Solution
Hey, I have this case, I've had no such issues.

The only advice I can give is that as ou may know its very crammed underneath that motherboard tray, and I know a load of my cords kept getting unplugged until I properly sorted things out. If I were you I would just lift up that tray, check all you cords, make sure it connects to the xdock pluggin, maybe even try abother 4 pin connector.

If not, head over to CM RMA.

Hope this helped.

Satchel

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
Hey, I have this case, I've had no such issues.

The only advice I can give is that as ou may know its very crammed underneath that motherboard tray, and I know a load of my cords kept getting unplugged until I properly sorted things out. If I were you I would just lift up that tray, check all you cords, make sure it connects to the xdock pluggin, maybe even try abother 4 pin connector.

If not, head over to CM RMA.

Hope this helped.

Solution

DawgMach1

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks for the help. I checked the 2 SATA cables and they were good. Even though the 4 pin power had a good connection, I swapped it for another cable that didn't have anything else plugged in to it. Viola! Fixed.

Not sure if the CM X Dock pulled more power than was available on that previous cable or if I had a bad plug. Either way, it's fixed now.

Thanks!!!

Jose Solis

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
I know this thread is old but Im having the same problem with my X-Dock! Could you please tell me where is the X-Dock pluggin? And what 4 pin connector are you talking about? Please help me :/ Ill appreciate it so much! Thanks!

hokreymborg

Reputable
Mar 11, 2014
Went through bios, checked cabling, tried different hdds. Then I found that the card (plugs) mounted in the case was mounted by only one of four screws! I could see the card deflect when I inserted a drive. Now I didn't remove these when I built the machine, and I know the case was not a return, so I can only guess that the factory failed to properly mount said card. I put the remaining 3 screws in and everything works as designed.

TRENDING THREADS