Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Will these specs accomplish what I'm looking for?

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 16, 2012 11:29:23 AM

So the parts are a radeon 6950 2gb, i3 2120, and 8gb RAM. I didn't list other parts because they don't affect performance. My budget is about 750 bucks.

Anyways, will the parts I listed smoothly record Battlefield 3 (with fraps) at high settings while skyping at the same time? What about recording Skyrim at ultra settings?
I also hope to record Minecraft (also fraps) with a 512x texture pack (and mods) and skype up as well. But I figure BF3 will be a lot more demanding.
Anyhow, will these specs perform these tasks well enough? I know the gpu is probably fine, but its primarily the cpu I'm worried about.

More about : specs accomplish

August 16, 2012 11:35:35 AM

You may experience slight bottleneck on that 6950. (not sure.)
Id go with a 7850 instead or maybe even a 7870.
The i3 2120 is a great CPU! Fast, has HT and has even beaten AMDs best hexacore processors in everything. (except multithreaded tasks.)
m
0
l
August 16, 2012 11:45:35 AM

Nw333 said:
You may experience slight bottleneck on that 6950. (not sure.)
Id go with a 7850 instead or maybe even a 7870.
The i3 2120 is a great CPU! Fast, has HT and has even beaten AMDs best hexacore processors in everything. (except multithreaded tasks.)


Okay I'll do some more research and make sure theres no bottleneck.

Anyways, yeah I've heard its great. But I am worried about the multithreading tasks. BF3 utilizes all four cores of a quad core and is the only game that actually has the potential to use all the cores on an fx 8150. Combine that with Skype and a recording software (fraps) all running at the same time, I am definitely concerned about how well the i3 will handle everything....
m
0
l
Related resources
August 16, 2012 11:50:31 AM

i5 2300 i guess?
m
0
l
August 16, 2012 11:51:06 AM

I don't think a hyperthreaded dual-core is going to give you the performance you need. I don't know that, but that's how I'd bet. Even the cheapest i5 is a much safer choice.
m
0
l
August 16, 2012 11:52:56 AM

I'm concerned too. Skype isn't too much of an issue, fraps depends on your GPU and recording medium. For example, if you're saving the movie to a HDD and you're running the game from the HDD too, you might face a slowdown, even if the GPU can handle it.

An SSD/RAID config might serve you better. However, if you're not looking at that, then probably get a 7850/7870. Also, i'm not so sure you'll see much benefit from 2GB of RAM with a 6950. There was an article on toms comparing a 2GB 6950 with a 1GB one, diff was min except in crossfire.

Though you're doing FRAPS stuff so can't be sure.

The i3 will beat hexacores in plain gaming only. If you're multitasking, then go quad.

Probably save a bit on the card and put it into a quad core.
m
0
l
August 16, 2012 11:55:13 AM

ojas said:
I'm concerned too. Skype isn't too much of an issue, fraps depends on your GPU and recording medium. For example, if you're saving the movie to a HDD and you're running the game from the HDD too, you might face a slowdown, even if the GPU can handle it.

An SSD/RAID config might serve you better. However, if you're not looking at that, then probably get a 7850/7870. Also, i'm not so sure you'll see much benefit from 2GB of RAM with a 6950. There was an article on toms comparing a 2GB 6950 with a 1GB one, diff was min except in crossfire.

Though you're doing FRAPS stuff so can't be sure.

The i3 will beat hexacores in plain gaming only. If you're multitasking, then go quad.

Probably save a bit on the card and put it into a quad core.


Okay, thanks for the advice! What if I downgrade to a 6850 and get an i5 3550? Could the 6850 still play play bf3 on high in online play?
m
0
l
August 16, 2012 11:59:21 AM

TheScarecrow97 said:
Okay, thanks for the advice! What if I downgrade to a 6850 and get an i5 3550? Could the 6850 still play play bf3 on high in online play?

What resolution?
m
0
l
August 16, 2012 12:02:33 PM



Okay, thanks. Although I'm not sure it will make a difference because the 6950 im looking at is the cheapest possible one at 190 dollars and its 2gb.....

Also, I would like to play at 1080, although the tv i currently have that I'll be using for a while only has 720p. So until I get a new monitor, 720p.
m
0
l
August 16, 2012 12:04:45 PM

here are some ideas on how your build should fare

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-gaming-pc-ove...

though keep in mind an i3 isn't going to cut it with the 64 players online maps in BF3 without some compromise. fraps, based on what i keep hearing depends on how fast your storage is. worst case scenario, you deduct 20fps off the bench results above.
m
0
l
August 16, 2012 12:04:50 PM

TheScarecrow97 said:
Okay, thanks. Although I'm not sure it will make a difference because the 6950 im looking at is the cheapest possible one at 190 dollars and its 2gb.....

Also, I would like to play at 1080, although the tv i currently have that I'll be using for a while only has 720p. So until I get a new monitor, 720p.


The 6850 will run BF3 at low-medium at 1080p. Not sure on 720.
m
0
l
August 16, 2012 12:13:01 PM

6850 will probably do ultra on 720p (my GTX 560 manages to hold 60 fps with ease, and a 560 is equivalent to a 6870), though for 1080p it's a no-go (especially with FRAPS). Stick with the 6950 you have, then.

This is the performance delta b/w a 6850 and 6950:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/539?vs=510
m
0
l
August 16, 2012 12:25:51 PM

Yes, that should do.
m
0
l
!