Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PC for audio programming

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 16, 2012 12:03:41 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: During 2012

Budget Range: Hard cap: 1000€, soft cap: 900€

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Audio programming, watching movies etc., light video rendering, light gaming

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Jimm's PC Store / Hardwareversand or any other reliable cheap alternative

Location: Finland

Parts Preferences: Preferrably Intel CPU but open to other well-founded suggestions

Overclocking: Possibly in a few years

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024

Additional Comments: It needs to be quiet

So, there's the form filled out. I'd also like to point out a few things. Firstly, this PC is for a friend of mine and he heard that I had build a PC not so long ago so he asked for my assistance. I gladly offered my help since my build was somewhat for the same usage so I figured I'd be of some help. However, I noticed that I started picking up pretty much the same parts I bought. The problem is that I had a slightly more flexible budget so some corners need to be cut. And also, a second opinion would always be nice. I'm no expert in this yet.
Here's what I have:

CPU: Intel i5-2500k @ 204,50 €, harwareversand.de

I chose this one because it's reasonably priced, over-clockable and it also has quite a bit processing power, which is needed with audio programming.

PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX500 V2, 500 Watt @ 55 €, harwareversand.de

Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl @ 79 €, Jimm's PC Store

This case has some nice sound dampening material inside and good cooling capablities. Also, I might get one of these bad boys for 40 € at a local store so that would be a way to cut some corners.

GFX: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC @ 210 €, hardwareversand.de

Ok, so this one's a tricky one. This friend of mine has never played any of these "modern" games because he's old PC is around 8 years old. He has no idea what he might start playing or if he will at all. So, this card might be a bit overkill in my opinion. But he insists on having the possibility to start playing if he wants to. But he agreed that this would be the place to downgrade if the budget won't hold.

MOBO: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 @ 123 €, hardwareversand.de

This is one of the components I know least about. When I built my computer I pretty much blindly chose this one and everyone told me that it's a good one. So, if there's an alternative that would be a bit cheaper but still reliable, would it be awesome. I know for a fact that the friend of mine doesn't need a lot of PCI-slots. But four RAM sticks need to fit if he sometime decides to add some.

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance PC3-12800U CL10-10-10-27 @ 50 €, hardwareversand.de

I don't know a lot about RAM either. Second opinions, please!

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 13 Pro @ 26,50 €, hardwareversand.de

A cooler will be needed because the stock ones tend to be noisy and if he overclocks it will become handy. This is a nice quiet one - that's why I chose it.

HDD: WD Caviar Green 1TB, SATA 6Gb/s @ 78 €, hardwareversand.de

1 Tb will be needed - this is not the place to save money.

SDD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB @ 55,50 €, hardwareversand.de

This may have to be left out if the budget is too tight.


He also needs a good basic keyboard and a mouse. I feel that I'm forgetting something. Oh, well, you guys will spot it. And as you can see 1000 € has been preached, I think. So, I thank for your time and help in advance.

Cheers, guys!
-Mon4ro

More about : audio programming

August 16, 2012 11:05:46 PM

Quote:

CPU: Intel i5-2500k @ 204,50 €, harwareversand.de

I chose this one because it's reasonably priced, over-clockable and it also has quite a bit processing power, which is needed with audio programming.


A 3570K is a little bit more and will support newer hardware (PCI Gen 3, Thunderbolt, etc) as it's available - so go with that: http://www2.hardwareversand.de/Socket+1155/56296/Intel+...

Quote:

Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl @ 79 €, Jimm's PC Store

This case has some nice sound dampening material inside and good cooling capablities. Also, I might get one of these bad boys for 40 € at a local store so that would be a way to cut some corners.


Fractal Design makes some great cases - go for it.

Quote:

MOBO: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 @ 123 €, hardwareversand.de

This is one of the components I know least about. When I built my computer I pretty much blindly chose this one and everyone told me that it's a good one. So, if there's an alternative that would be a bit cheaper but still reliable, would it be awesome. I know for a fact that the friend of mine doesn't need a lot of PCI-slots. But four RAM sticks need to fit if he sometime decides to add some.


This is a good choice but again - go for the Z77 Extreme 4 as it's a bit newer and will support the newer hardware: http://www2.hardwareversand.de/resource?articleId=57624...

Quote:

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 13 Pro @ 26,50 €, hardwareversand.de

A cooler will be needed because the stock ones tend to be noisy and if he overclocks it will become handy. This is a nice quiet one - that's why I chose it.


These coolers are horrible - I bought one and they're very cheaply made and fall apart very easily. As I was installing this cooler the fan broke into several pieces. Go with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 instead: http://www2.hardwareversand.de/Intel+AMD/59387/Cooler+M...

Quote:

GFX: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC @ 210 €, hardwareversand.de

Ok, so this one's a tricky one. This friend of mine has never played any of these "modern" games because he's old PC is around 8 years old. He has no idea what he might start playing or if he will at all. So, this card might be a bit overkill in my opinion. But he insists on having the possibility to start playing if he wants to. But he agreed that this would be the place to downgrade if the budget won't hold.


A Radeon 7850 will give you quite a bit more horsepower for the same price. It's also very multiple monitor friendly so if you want to run multiple displays in the future, get that card: http://www2.hardwareversand.de/2048+MB/57696/Sapphire+H...

Quote:

HDD: WD Caviar Green 1TB, SATA 6Gb/s @ 78 €, hardwareversand.de

1 Tb will be needed - this is not the place to save money.

SDD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB @ 55,50 €, hardwareversand.de

This may have to be left out if the budget is too tight.


The Caviar Green is a fine choice but only as a secondary HD. As a primary it will be useless and a massive bottleneck. Don't get an Agility 3 as OCZ isn't the most reliable SSD manufacturer around. This will be a better choice: http://www2.hardwareversand.de/Solid-State-Disk/46113/C...
August 17, 2012 11:36:36 AM

Your help is greatly appreciated!
!