Single core and 4 core cpu temps in BIOS

satyamdubey

Distinguished
Greetings everyone

so my HDD got wrecked and then seagate sent a bad refurb and i've been without a working pc for nearly a month now.

how do i pass time? by staring at the BIOS screen..lol.I started tinkering with some of the settings and what I've noticed is that when i activate all four cpu cores, the BIOS report temps in 60-64 C range but with just one core active my temps drop down to 45-47C.

From how i've always understood things, BIOS is itself a pretty small program and should not require more than one core. This difference in temps kinda suggests that when all four cores are active, even BIOS utilizes them all? am i right in thinking so?

The voltage for single core is1.16V while with all cores active, cpu voltage goes to 1.21V. is it just this upped voltage that's causing the temps to go up? I know BIOS reports higher temps than windows so its not the temps that i am worried about. Just curios about the way BIOS works.

Thanks

-Satyam

cklaubur

Distinguished
When the computer is running the BIOS setup, all power management (Speedstep or Cool N Quiet, depending on whether you use Intel or AMD) is disabled, so the processor will run warmer than under Windows.

Disabling cores reduces the temps because the disabled cores have no power running through them. No power means no heat being produced.

Casey

satyamdubey

Distinguished
what i want to know is that if BIOS is a single thread program, then what are the other cores computing. I understand BIOS is running one busy loop waiting for user input and that engages a core but what are the other cores doing during this time?