Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking about adding a second monitor but I will only game on my primary monitor. (dell u2311h)
I want a second monitor to watch computer levels and to watch videos or surf net while playing game.
Sounds ridiculous, but that's what I want.

My question is, how will a second monitor affect gaming performance? If I am playing BF3 with 560 Ti, can I use the i5 video card (3000) to run a second monitor, or do I have to use the same video card for both monitors?

Solution
There will be a performance hit, but it should be very small if all you are doing is surfing the web monitoring game / system performance on the 2nd monitor. I have a dual monitor setup (1920x1200 x2) and my Radeon HD 5850 is more than power enough to play games on one monitor while the 2nd monitor is more or less idling.

fantastik250

Distinguished
It's dependent on the resolution you'll be playing at and multi-monitors. Anything higher than 1920x1080 will require a bit more VRAM, For example a GTX 560 Ti 2GB. So you can use multi-monitor you don't have to do 2560x1600 otherwise your frame rates will be affected.

rdc85

Honorable
It will hit performance, and u will need to plug both mon to the card. In the end it will depends on the game....

Well, U will always had option to disable one mon if the game needs more horse power, and keeps dual if the game is light one..

There will be a performance hit, but it should be very small if all you are doing is surfing the web monitoring game / system performance on the 2nd monitor. I have a dual monitor setup (1920x1200 x2) and my Radeon HD 5850 is more than power enough to play games on one monitor while the 2nd monitor is more or less idling.

Solution
I guess I'm confused why they even include graphics in most of the i5 chip family. I know there are some i5s without it, but who buys an overclockable chip and wants to us onboard graphics rather than discrete?

I had thought I could use HD Intel 3000 to run a separate monitor while my gaming needs the MSI 560 Ti. Now I'm kicking myself for not getting a 2GB GPU, but then again desires change. I had to think some cost savings.

jaguarskx.. Have you noticed a dip in fps or did you have to lower the quality in order to play games?

deepb

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
I have a setup where my PC is connected to a main gaming monitor as well as my Full HD TV and I will be gaming while watching movies on the TV. The performance does not seem to be effected more than 1 or 2 FPS when the TV is completely disconnected. And yeah, I'm gaming on a 6870.

Status
Not open for further replies.