Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU Temp running egregiously hot on temp

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 31, 2012 4:33:19 AM

I've had my PC for three years this January (bought it from a boutique because I was young and far too uneducated to build one myself) and I noticed something.
Lately, I've had some noticeable performance issues, to the point where I even get framerate drops in Flash-based games on what was and is still a gaming computer.
Also, when booting, the BIOS says "Whoawhoa, hold up a minute bro, your CPU fan's got an error! You should probably get that checked out." (paraphrased of course)
Today my dad the IT guy had a look and came across this tidbit of information.
CPU Temperature: 83° Celsius.

I find this exceptionally worrisome but I don't know of a way to get an RPM reading on the fan (it looks like it's running normally but I wouldn't be able to tell) and I don't even know what's going on with those cooling tubes because I don't know how to science.

If it helps shed light on anything, my CPU is an AMD X2 250 and the cooling tube things say Norprene on them (kinda warm to the touch, is that normal?). Also, I dusted the hell out of it this morning.

What I really want to know is, how hot is the temp (since it's 83° C idling, too) in relation to maximum safe heat, what are the possibilities on what's going wrong, and what are my options in dealing with the potential problems.
a c 851 à CPUs
December 31, 2012 1:12:01 PM

When you cleaned it, no change in temp? If so at minimum you need to reseat your heatsink with new thermal paste and/or replace the fan on it if not spinning properly.
m
l
December 31, 2012 1:46:23 PM

It sounds like the fan on your heatsink or cooling system isn't working.

Does the fan turn? is it plugged in to the Mobo?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2012 1:55:18 PM

Quazwalt said:

If it helps shed light on anything, my CPU is an AMD X2 250 and the cooling tube things say Norprene on them (kinda warm to the touch, is that normal?). Also, I dusted the hell out of it this morning.

That means it's watercooled, and either the fan is dying(barely spinning) or your pump is going bad.

Being an AMD X2 250 it's probably a self contained water cooling system like the Corsair H50 or something from Asetek, which means it would be easier and cheaper to just buy an air cooler to replace it.

Do you see something like this in your case?

m
l
December 31, 2012 2:53:08 PM

Quote:
When you cleaned it, no change in temp? If so at minimum you need to reseat your heatsink with new thermal paste and/or replace the fan on it if not spinning properly.

Yeah, there's no change in temp before and after cleaning. I'll look into reseating the heatsink.

Quote:
It sounds like the fan on your heatsink or cooling system isn't working.

Does the fan turn? is it plugged in to the Mobo?

Yes and yes. It actually seems pretty alright as far as speed goes.

Quote:
Do you see something like this in your case?
http://www.asetek.com/images/stori [...] _large.jpg

Yes, that's exactly what I see with one difference. There's a fan where that heatsink is, but I imagine it's on top of the heatsink since there's a big ol' platform directly beneath the fan and the fan is attached with screws.

From what I've gleaned from y'all I'm gonna shut it down and unscrew the fan so I can see what horrors lie beneath my fan, I'll proceed from there.

Also, for a peek inside my case and what we're looking at: http://i.imgur.com/tADJT.jpg
m
l
December 31, 2012 3:34:54 PM

UPDATE: Unscrewed the fan and removed it, got this: http://i.imgur.com/dLBAw.jpg
Went to town with can of compressed air, reattached fan. CPU temp pretty much unchanged.
So, does it look like I'll be needing to replace the cooling now or could this be more minor, like reseating it? How do I check for those sorts of things?
m
l
a c 851 à CPUs
December 31, 2012 3:42:20 PM

It is your pump if anything, check the connection on the wire from the pump.
m
l
December 31, 2012 3:58:53 PM

Quote:
It is your pump if anything, check the connection on the wire from the pump.

Alright. On the towery protrusion thing (that I'm to assume is part of the cooling system since the tubes connect to it) there are four (4) wires that are extremely skinny. These wires (colored yellow, green, blue, and black) intertwine and loop around one of the cooling tubes before connecting to the motherboard. To the best of my knowledge there is no issue with the connection. How do I proceed from here?
m
l
a c 851 à CPUs
December 31, 2012 4:06:32 PM

Looks like your pump failed and that you need to RMA the cooler to manufacturer if still under warranty. Or just replace it Athlon X2 250 will be quite happy with a budget aircooler.
m
l
December 31, 2012 4:21:19 PM

Quote:
Looks like your pump failed and that you need to RMA the cooler to manufacturer if still under warranty. Or just replace it Athlon X2 250 will be quite happy with a budget aircooler.

Alrighty, going from here I have a couple of questions
How safe is it to continue to operate the computer with the CPU temperature so high?
If the cooler is dead and out of warranty, can you point me toward a couple of budget air coolers that could work or give me a starting place to look for one?
m
l

Best solution

a c 851 à CPUs
December 31, 2012 4:23:47 PM

I can not tell on your picture whether they left the retention bracket on the motherboard which is necessary for some of the smaller ones. http://www.newegg.com/CPU-Fans-Heatsinks/SubCategory/ID...
I would not continue using it.
December 31, 2012 4:25:32 PM

Best answer selected by Quazwalt.
m
l
!