friendlyhobo

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Hello, I have a Linksys WRT160N wireless router. For the past few days, my internet connection has been really spotty. Every 10 - 15 minutes or so my internet connect with stop for about ten seconds, and reconnect. This is especially frustrating because I have friends whom I can only contact via Skype, and constatnly getting dropped from a conference is more than annoying.

I have ruled out my modem as the possibility. It is a brand new modem, only two weeks old. I hooked it up directly to my PC, bypassing the router. This eliminated all of my issues. However, immediately upon reconnecting my router, the problems returned. I have since installed the latest firmware, tried a brand new ethernet cable, and reset the router to factory defaults, all to no avail.

I'm really at a loss as to what to try next. I do not have another router I can try, and would rather not have to purchase a new one. Any suggestions on how to eliminate this problem?

(also note that all computers connected to this router are experiencing these issues. Both wireless, and wired)

yimmi

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Some internet providers look at the MAC address of the device that is connecting to their system. If they don't recognize the MAC address as the one that they have registered to your account, they kick you off.Try using "mac cloning" from your router's settings and change the mac address to the one your previous router had,if you don't know how to do it I think you can call your provider in order to register the new mac address your linksys has.