Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Computer starts then stops

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
February 7, 2012 12:07:53 AM

Hi, I have posted previously about my computer starting and then stopping and doing this continuously with no beep.
I tried replacing the hard drive and this made no difference. One thing I notice is the orange reset light is not on and only flashes on when it turns off. Any ideas would be welcome.

More about : computer starts stops

a c 706 $ Windows 7
February 7, 2012 1:40:55 PM

Starting and stopping as in turning on and off and rebooting or just locking?

Could be a power supply, RAM or motherboard issue.
m
0
l
February 7, 2012 6:40:41 PM

I tried holding the reset button down for 30 seconds and it stopped surging but will not boot and nothing registers on the monitor. When I turn off the computer at the wall and on again, I have to repeat holding the reset button or it still surges and stops.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 7, 2012 6:54:47 PM

We need some information on your system. The power supply could be bad as was said. Bad motherboard caps can also cause similar issues.
m
0
l

Best solution

February 7, 2012 6:54:57 PM

I suggest removing and re-seating the RAM. Also double check to make sure all the power connectors are seated firmly as well as any peripheral cards. Also, dusting is a good idea. You very well could have a short. I've had systems that did the same thing and I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on so i took the whole thing apart and looked at it confuse but found nothing wrong. In the end, when i put the system back together after cleaning all the dust out, it worked just fine.

Dust kills computers!

Edit: Also, reset the BIOs. Easiest way is to unplug the power from the back of the PC and then pop out the cmos battery on the motherboard, wait 5-10 seconds then put it back in.
Share
February 8, 2012 2:29:24 AM

It is an alienware - I have disconnected everything and pulled out the motherboard and cleaned it. I have a v8 cooler and it was very dusty. I have reseated everything and done the same with the ram sticks. The fan in the power supply works as well.
I have removed the cmos battery and then replaced it.
I have exhausted all avenues - Is there anything else to do before I put the motherboard back?
Thanks for your help
m
0
l
February 8, 2012 7:19:18 AM

Fuyukazehime said:
I suggest removing and re-seating the RAM. Also double check to make sure all the power connectors are seated firmly as well as any peripheral cards. Also, dusting is a good idea. You very well could have a short. I've had systems that did the same thing and I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on so i took the whole thing apart and looked at it confuse but found nothing wrong. In the end, when i put the system back together after cleaning all the dust out, it worked just fine.

Dust kills computers!

Edit: Also, reset the BIOs. Easiest way is to unplug the power from the back of the PC and then pop out the cmos battery on the motherboard, wait 5-10 seconds then put it back in.


Ok, I have pulled my computer apart and reseated and cleaned everything and still I am getting the same on and off issue.
Again, if I hold the reset button down for about 20 seconds it stays on but does not boot. I have replaced the hd - so I can only assume it is the motherboard. I will have to take it in to see a tech, something I wanted to avoid financially, but I have exhausted all avenues.
m
0
l
a c 706 $ Windows 7
February 8, 2012 1:52:10 PM

Could be the power supply also. Have you tried different RAM, or the RAM you have one stick at a time? PCs not turning on very very rarely is caused by the hard-drive which seems to be the only different thing you tried. Usually power supply, ram or the motherboard.
m
0
l
February 9, 2012 2:46:25 AM

Best answer selected by tathra45.
m
0
l
February 9, 2012 2:53:26 AM

hang-the-9 said:
Could be the power supply also. Have you tried different RAM, or the RAM you have one stick at a time? PCs not turning on very very rarely is caused by the hard-drive which seems to be the only different thing you tried. Usually power supply, ram or the motherboard.


I took my computer to a tech - he couldn't pinpoint the exact cause, but said the fault is most likely a memory fault or a fault in the memory controller in the cpu. There is a set of numbers that go in a sequence like this that flashes up - f3,f6,f3,f6,f3,f6,68 - he was not sure what this meant - he thought it was memory related.
He tested the power supply and checked the ram. What do I do now, how do I narrow it down further?
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 9, 2012 3:02:27 AM

tathra45 said:
I took my computer to a tech - he couldn't pinpoint the exact cause, but said the fault is most likely a memory fault or a fault in the memory controller in the cpu. There is a set of numbers that go in a sequence like this that flashes up - f3,f6,f3,f6,f3,f6,68 - he was not sure what this meant - he thought it was memory related.
He tested the power supply and checked the ram. What do I do now, how do I narrow it down further?

What are your PC specs?
m
0
l
February 9, 2012 4:45:27 AM

nikorr said:
What are your PC specs?


intel core i7 processor
evga x58 SLI motherboard
radeon 4870 x2
6gb ram corsair 750 watt psu
v8 coolermaster
seagate barracuda 7200.12 1TB

It's about 4 years old and I have previously replaced the hard drives
Do you know what those numbers represent?
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 9, 2012 5:01:34 AM

Code 68 generally indicates a memory configuration or hardware issue.

Did u changed any hardware?
m
0
l
a c 706 $ Windows 7
February 9, 2012 12:40:16 PM

An alienware PC with an i7 may be under warranty coverage, did you check for a replacement?
m
0
l