Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card not being recognized?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 27, 2012 8:32:04 AM

Hey I'm Jon, and this is my first build, and everything that I have learned about graphics, monitors, motherboards, and computers in general I have learned in about the past 2 weeks. Mostly researching how to fix this problem. So bear with me.

Here is my current set up, that is a brand new build, with all new parts.

Intel Core i5-2310
Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2 motherboard
Corsair CX430 Power Supply
8gb RAM
XFX AMD HD Radeon 6870 Graphics Card

I have my monitor connected to my computer with a VGA cord that goes to the motherboard, and a DVI-D cable that comes from a DVI-D port in my computer, to a DVI-I port in my graphics card, which I am told will still support a DVI-D cable. I have tried switching the priority to the PCI-E slot in my motherboard as where my graphics originate on BIOS, but it keeps switching back to the integrated card in the motherboard through the VGA cord. I have tried removing the VGA cord, but no picture comes up. I have tried switching the input on my monitor, and it says "no signal" and switches back to VGA. What can I do to get this graphics card up and running? I really need it by 10am Pacific time, but I realize that may not be a possibility. Thanks for all your help!

More about : graphics card recognized

a c 99 U Graphics card
June 27, 2012 8:35:08 AM

In your BIOS do you have the option to disable onboard graphics?

Also you can go to device manager, right click on the appropriate display video graphics and disable the onboard graphics.

You also just need to plug the video card to your monitor only and nothing else (like the motherboard VGA).
m
l
June 27, 2012 8:51:23 AM

fantastik250 said:
In your BIOS do you have the option to disable onboard graphics?

Also you can go to device manager, right click on the appropriate display video graphics and disable the onboard graphics.

You also just need to plug the video card to your monitor only and nothing else (like the motherboard VGA).

Yes I can disable the onboard graphics completely, but that would likely leave me without any picture on the monitor at all, because I am sure the computer is trying to connect via the PCI-E slot and through the DVI port, but it can't so it reverts back to VGA. If I change the priority to DVI, and then unplug the VGA, restart the computer, then the screen is still blank. So I pop the VGA back in and theres picture, but its going off the onboard graphics, not my graphics card.
m
l
Related resources
June 27, 2012 9:14:07 AM

fantastik250 said:
While in VGA mode, did you install the drivers from AMD's website?

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx

Yes I did that, although at the end it says installation was complete, but error in installation. Then I click "View Log" and it says it was actually successful. So I have the drivers installed I think.
m
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
June 27, 2012 8:46:36 PM

Is the card working?

Also, you may want to update your motherboard BIOS and/or chipset driver.
m
l
!