New to Sound Cards + HTPC.

aviconus

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
Ok, so I have been running my Onkyo 7.1 S5500 out of my Onboard (Asus P6T) Audio for a few months now without issue. Today my Gaming Headset (TB Z6A) took a crap on me so I ordered a Sennheiser PC350 headset after seeing rave reviews about them. I also read that without a sound card, some people were experiencing sound quality issues. From what I have read, the Asus Xonar DX is a decent sound card that would greatly improve the sound quality of the PC350.

To get to the point, and the question, The PC350 is a 5.1 Surround and the Onkyo 7.1. Would it be beneficial for me to get the Xonar DX (7.1)? Would it improve the sound quality that my PC puts out through spdif, or can I save a few bucks and just get the Xonar DG (5.1) for the PC350, and keep the 7.1 running through my onboard sound? Is there a distinguishable difference in quality between the DX/DG?

My budget is about $100 but, if I can get the DG for $28 I'm cool with that too. Any additional sound card suggestions are welcome as well. Thanks!

P.S. sorry for the multiple questions, I have been reading ALOT on sound cards, and the more I read the more I am unsure with which route to go.

P.S.S. Read that the Xonar DG has a built in where the DX doesn't, but sacrifices in other areas. If someone could explain that, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!!

jwl2

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
Hello,

The receiver is perfectly fine with 5.1. Where you planning to connect the headset to the receiver? Are you aware that the Sennheiser does not have the same connectors a your TB Z6A's?

J

aviconus

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011

The Soundcard that is in question would be purposely bought for the Sennheiser, not the Onkyo. To better clearify, will the Sound Quality be improved over using the on board optical out, coming from the Asus P6T motherboard? The soundcard that I have in mind is the Asus Xonar DGX, as I have heard that it has the Headphone amp needed to push the PC350's. Will that card improve the quality of my surround, or should I just leave it connected to the MB (Sounds great as is, just curious)?.

To answer your question, yes I know the connectors are different between the TB and Senn. TB = Front/back/bass/mic (or something similar) Senn = Speakers/Mic from what I understand. Watched an unboxxing of the 350's and saw that it had a simple 2 connector connection, so I assumed Speaker/Mic.

Thanks!

P.S. I have a Radeon HD6990 and I read that some cards can work as a sound card. Just moreso thinking aloud, but are Video cards viable for sound quality? Or just something cheap people do to avoid buying a dedicated sound card?

P.S.S. At this point I am just adding on as I read/learn something new. Someone said that their Klipsh 5.1 "woke up" after buying the Xonar DGX. Obviously the receiver/amp is different in the Klipsh, but will I see a similar difference with a stand alone Receiver?