Last response: in Systems
August 16, 2012 2:15:21 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: October

Budget Range: 250-300

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Photo editing and storage. Facebook

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: None

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com and Bestbuy.com

Parts Preferences: Dont Care

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Dont Know

Your Monitor Resolution: I have1280x1024

Additional Comments: Need a good picture editing program, does not need to be included in price.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Current computer is old, slow, and low HD space.

August 16, 2012 3:13:17 PM

keep in mind that windows is a 100 dollars. it leaves one 200 dollars for everything else which isnt much to play around with.
m
l
August 16, 2012 3:39:06 PM

Good point, I didnt think about that. Windows I will get seperately. The 250-300 towards hardware only.
m
l
Related resources
August 16, 2012 7:03:19 PM

What do I lose by constructing either one of these computers? What makes a good photo editing computer?
m
l
August 16, 2012 7:11:44 PM

daasu said:
What do I lose by constructing either one of these computers? What makes a good photo editing computer?

Mine is AMD based, the other Intel based. Preference I guess. AMD will do better in some benchmarks, Intel in others. The AMD system has way better intergrated graphics though.

My build has twice the RAM, twice the HD size for only $20 more as well. 4GB and 250GB is a bit light if you're working on big photos.

As for what makes a good photo editing PC, lots of RAM more than anything. Loading big photos, creating lots of layers and stuff, RAM helps as does a faster CPU. Decent graphics, like the AMD ones, just help the overall windows experience.

You don't mention what photo app you plan on using. Some are better at multi-cores or using the GPU, some do better with just plain out the fastest GHZ, it depends.
m
l
August 16, 2012 7:33:09 PM

I have an Adobe Photoshop (Version ?). I'm at work, the software is at home.

So what you guys gave me is $300 + Windows. What about this prebuilt from Best Buy?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Slimline+Desk...

I would rather build, because I can eliminate the extra software junk. But price wise its about the same, but more memory. I can upgrade it to 8g.

Again, suggestions?
m
l
August 16, 2012 8:17:56 PM

what makes a good editing pc? a powerful processor (which the a series is clearly not) and lots of cores.

if you use photoshop, its highly recommended that you use a core i7 processor (which is clearly out of your budget)
m
l
!