Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows system shortcuts location

Last response: in Windows 8
January 28, 2013 12:46:37 AM

Hello,
I am wondering if anybody figured out how to create desktop shortcut to windows 8 shortcuts? eg, I would like to create a desktop shortcut to Win+x, ... or to a folder where I would put all of them.
January 28, 2013 1:00:44 AM

... Just learn to use Windows 8. The start screen is a part of it. If you don't know how to use it, just ask someone.
January 28, 2013 1:18:43 AM

I do not think you understood the question. I do now want to "look up" win 8 shortcuts. I would like to have desktop shortcuts to all of them or to a folder where I would locate them all, with descriptive names.
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
January 28, 2013 1:28:48 AM

I use Stardock's START8.
http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

The latest update, v1.1, can remove the new CORNER links. Awesome.

You can make Windows 8 run almost exactly like Windows 7 (visually). Windows 8 still has other improvements under the hood.

*The new W8 Start Screen is simply POINTLESS unless most of your programs are actually designed to work with it. Maybe in a year or two I'll find a use for it. I get so pissed off at reviewers talking about how easy it is to use, but again they're talking about a scenario were you STAY in the new W8 Start Screen interface.

I made a strong effort to give it the benefit of the doubt, but until my programs are rewritten all the happens is that the new Start Screen acts as a SHORTCUT PAGE that I have to toggle back and forth to as I open and close programs. Aaaaargh!
January 28, 2013 1:49:06 AM

Yea, once again, by tampering with Windows 8's core files you deliberately go against Microsoft T&C... which is against the forum rules to even be talking about... Now just use Windows 8 as intended, it is actually much better to use than Windows 7 ever was, and that is not opinion it is fact. "Metro" and Desktop work FLAWLESSLY together.

If you don't know how to navigate in it, let me know Ill be MORE than happy to help you with a small tutorial.
a b * Windows 8
January 28, 2013 2:36:45 AM

What shortcuts are you trying to add?
January 28, 2013 3:32:30 AM

Primary would be Win+x. Can not figure out how to make shortcut for it.
a b * Windows 8
January 28, 2013 3:42:31 AM

JefferyD90 said:
Yea, once again, by tampering with Windows 8's core files you deliberately go against Microsoft T&C... which is against the forum rules to even be talking about... Now just use Windows 8 as intended, it is actually much better to use than Windows 7 ever was, and that is not opinion it is fact. "Metro" and Desktop work FLAWLESSLY together.

If you don't know how to navigate in it, let me know Ill be MORE than happy to help you with a small tutorial.

Uh... what?

The new Windows 8 StartScreen desktop only works well if ALL of the programs you are currently using are designed to work well in it, otherwise you are just kicked back to the old-style desktop.

NOTHING I do works very well with the new interface, and I'm pretty sure I'm in the MAJORITY here.

I thought you were actually joking, but it appears you are serious,

It's pretty arrogant to say something like "that is not opinion it is fact" on a subject like this. Which interface is "better" is subjective. It may be better for you but not for me. It's especially baffling since very few would even agree with you. It's ideal for Tablets though, but will NEVER be a better environment than Windows 7 on the Desktop for many users.

I will give you one thing though, Windows 8 is working FLAWLESSLY now that I have Start8 installed to remove the currently unusable (for me) Windows 8 elements.
January 28, 2013 3:56:44 AM

I can agree and disagree whit either camp, but all I am trying to do is to make a shortcut to windows system shortcuts. If I can do for one (eg Win + X) my guess is that I can do it for all. It is just for easy access to most common functionality an advance system user would use.

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
January 28, 2013 4:45:34 AM

You can already do this in the Windows 8 desktop:

How to add "Control Panel" as an example:

1. upper-right corner
2. click "SEARCH"
3. right-click "Control Panel"
4. "add to desktop"

Now you have a Windows 8 shortcut to the Control Panel.

If you want that in the Windows 7 style desktop, then just "show file location" for the item and right-click... "add shortcut to desktop".

*If the program you want isn't on the list, then I don't know of an easy way to do it.

Personally, I use Start8 and if I need access to any system programs I do this:
1. Start Button
2. Administrative Tools (set to "show as menu")
January 28, 2013 5:12:33 AM

Thank You.

I knew about adding "Control Panel", but you gave me an idea. I could make a folder on a desktop with a shortcut to every single windows 8 keyboard WIN shortcut. eg, under Win+x there is a "control panel" shortcut, so I could just make a folder, under which there will be either subfolder Win+x and all available shortcuts in it or I will just add all shortcuts in main folder. Will see how that will look.

In general I like Win 8 because I noticed speed gain, and eventually it will e way more up to date than Win 7. Can not fight a change. That is one thing I learned by being in a software field, but it is impossible to learn everything in every system. At work, I still use Win XP on one machine, on another Win 7, another is server 2003, at home is Win 8 and XP, ...

Thank You for your input.
a b * Windows 8
January 28, 2013 6:56:40 AM

If you right-click on the bottom-left of Windows 8 (Desktop or Modern part) you get a list of some system options also, like Computer Management, Run, Search, Event Viewer. etc.
a b * Windows 8
January 28, 2013 7:03:36 AM

Also, most of the .exe(s) for the WinX apps are in C:\windows\system32 if you browse, you should be able to spot them. You can right-click them and send them to the Desktop.
a b * Windows 8
January 28, 2013 1:40:21 PM

hikerVancouver said:
Thank You.

I knew about adding "Control Panel", but you gave me an idea. I could make a folder on a desktop with a shortcut to every single windows 8 keyboard WIN shortcut. eg, under Win+x there is a "control panel" shortcut, so I could just make a folder, under which there will be either subfolder Win+x and all available shortcuts in it or I will just add all shortcuts in main folder. Will see how that will look.

In general I like Win 8 because I noticed speed gain, and eventually it will e way more up to date than Win 7. Can not fight a change. That is one thing I learned by being in a software field, but it is impossible to learn everything in every system. At work, I still use Win XP on one machine, on another Win 7, another is server 2003, at home is Win 8 and XP, ...

Thank You for your input.

I still don't understand why you aren't using START8 from Stardock. If I want to use the new Windows 8 interface I can launch it but otherwise I stay in the Windows 7 style desktop.

If I want to get access to the system I use the same methods I did for Windows 7.
a b * Windows 8
January 28, 2013 6:20:06 PM

Also, you can drag and drop from the actual address bar when you are in the application that you want. Drag it to the Desktop and it creates the shortcut for you.

It is little bit more of a pain at times to create the Desktop shortcuts like we used to from the Start Menu, but it can be done.
January 28, 2013 10:34:00 PM

You guys are just obviously ignorant about Windows 8. All the things your trying to do (example: view the control panel) are done very easily and with fewer steps than previous versions of Windows. If you want to go a longer way about doing something, just install Windows 7. If your not going to do it right, then don't do it at all.
February 8, 2013 7:12:29 AM

Best answer selected by hikerVancouver.
a b * Windows 8
February 8, 2013 11:05:35 AM

Try right clicking in the start corner. There you will find most of the admin tools. You can also set the admin tools to display on the start screen as well.
!