Sign in with
Your question

I5 3570k vs i7 3770 (non k)

Last response: in Components
December 31, 2012 9:58:20 AM

I am building a Gaming pc (previous post http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/358894-28-which-price... ) The intel build one) I was in the middle of purchasing cpu when i saw a i7 3770 (non k) bundled with a Asrock B75M-GL mATX Socket 1155 Mainboard and 8gbs of ram for $458 AUD (including postage)

I also noticed that it was a micro ATX will this effect or bottleneck at all when gaming.
Also i hear with the k series, i hear that its great for overclocking something ive never done or tried and do not plan on doing but it would be nice knowing i can do it later on in the future.

The build is for 80% gaming, 10% web browsing and 10% for video editing and rendering.

I would like to purchase the parts as soon as possible and need help thanks.

More about : 3570k 3770

December 31, 2012 10:10:30 AM

You don't need an i7 as the only extra you get is hyperthreading and some more L3 cache, but if the i7 way is cheaper then go for it, hyperthreading isn't needed in gaming and i am not sure if the extra cache improves gaming performance but i doubt it does.

The mobo being micro ATX won't effect performance but it might prevent you from installing more than 1 GPU (SLI).

m
l
December 31, 2012 10:34:43 AM

micro ATX are just motherboard that are smaller than the full-ATX size and might prevent you from further upgrading in the future for example putting more GPU.

If your just running 1 GPU , micro ATX are fine.

If you want to overclock in the future , you are better off getting a full size ATX board since they are better in general.

Since your 80% gaming , i5 3570k is the way to go as i7 doesn't really help with gaming atm. Given your only video editing/rendering 10% , i5 3570k is more than enough.
m
l
Related resources
December 31, 2012 1:29:46 PM

muppetlol said:
micro ATX are just motherboard that are smaller than the full-ATX size and might prevent you from further upgrading in the future for example putting more GPU.

If your just running 1 GPU , micro ATX are fine.

If you want to overclock in the future , you are better off getting a full size ATX board since they are better in general.

Since your 80% gaming , i5 3570k is the way to go as i7 doesn't really help with gaming atm. Given your only video editing/rendering 10% , i5 3570k is more than enough.

I can the i7 cheaper though bout 60 to 80 dollars cheaper so i7 or i5 i still dont know
m
l
December 31, 2012 3:42:37 PM

spawnedlate said:
I can the i7 cheaper though bout 60 to 80 dollars cheaper so i7 or i5 i still dont know

Personally I would go for the i7 3770k if I could get it for cheaper. You never know when Hyper-Threading can come in handy in the future , maybe games will start supporting it.
m
l
December 31, 2012 10:07:53 PM

muppetlol said:
Personally I would go for the i7 3770k if I could get it for cheaper. You never know when Hyper-Threading can come in handy in the future , maybe games will start supporting it.

I know i7 3770 (nonK) is probaly better of in the long term but i will be using it for gaming...
m
l
!