Desktop background not displaying

June 9, 2005 8:11:01 AM

I cannot get any of the desktop background images to display. I have not had
this problem before, and change the image regularly. Today it is just a
blank screen, and I cannot 're-activate' it. On the display control panel
window the preview shows correctly. When I select any of the options and
click apply, nothing changes on the actual desktop. I don't know what else
to try. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated? Thanks!
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:21:00 AM

See if this helps:

Open Control Panel, double-click Display.
Click the Desktop tab, and choose "Customize Desktop".
Select the "Web" tab
Delete all the items except "My current Home page"
Uncheck "My current Home page"
Click OK, and now select a picture for the Desktop background
Click OK and close the dialog.

--
Ramesh Srinivasan
MS-MVP, Windows Shell

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

"rotrdera" <rotrdera@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
>I cannot get any of the desktop background images to display. I have not
>had
> this problem before, and change the image regularly. Today it is just a
> blank screen, and I cannot 're-activate' it. On the display control panel
> window the preview shows correctly. When I select any of the options and
> click apply, nothing changes on the actual desktop. I don't know what
> else
> to try. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated? Thanks!
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:21:01 AM

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately this did not help. The only item on the
web tab was "My current Home page", so nothing to delete. It was already
unchecked too. Any other ideas? Thanks again.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> See if this helps:
>
> Open Control Panel, double-click Display.
> Click the Desktop tab, and choose "Customize Desktop".
> Select the "Web" tab
> Delete all the items except "My current Home page"
> Uncheck "My current Home page"
> Click OK, and now select a picture for the Desktop background
> Click OK and close the dialog.
>
> --
> Ramesh Srinivasan
> MS-MVP, Windows Shell
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
>
> "rotrdera" <rotrdera@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
> >I cannot get any of the desktop background images to display. I have not
> >had
> > this problem before, and change the image regularly. Today it is just a
> > blank screen, and I cannot 're-activate' it. On the display control panel
> > window the preview shows correctly. When I select any of the options and
> > click apply, nothing changes on the actual desktop. I don't know what
> > else
> > to try. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated? Thanks!

June 10, 2005 1:51:07 AM

rotrdera,

Are you using third-party themes / enhancers, or any utility (provided with
your graphics card) running ? See if switching to Windows XP Theme helps.

--

> Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately this did not help. The only item on
> the
> web tab was "My current Home page", so nothing to delete. It was already
> unchecked too. Any other ideas? Thanks again.
>

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> See if this helps:
>>
>> Open Control Panel, double-click Display.
>> Click the Desktop tab, and choose "Customize Desktop".
>> Select the "Web" tab
>> Delete all the items except "My current Home page"
>> Uncheck "My current Home page"
>> Click OK, and now select a picture for the Desktop background
>> Click OK and close the dialog.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh Srinivasan
>> MS-MVP, Windows Shell
>>
>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
>> http://www.winhelponline.com
>>
>> "rotrdera" <rotrdera@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
>> >I cannot get any of the desktop background images to display. I have
>> >not
>> >had
>> > this problem before, and change the image regularly. Today it is just
>> > blank screen, and I cannot 're-activate' it. On the display control
>> > panel
>> > window the preview shows correctly. When I select any of the options
>> > and
>> > click apply, nothing changes on the actual desktop. I don't know what
>> > else
>> > to try. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated? Thanks!

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 1:51:08 AM

Thank you, problem solved!! Brilliant!

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> rotrdera,
>
> Are you using third-party themes / enhancers, or any utility (provided with
> your graphics card) running ? See if switching to Windows XP Theme helps.
>
> --
> Ramesh Srinivasan
> MS-MVP, Windows Shell
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
>
> "rotrdera" <rotrdera@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately this did not help. The only item on
> > the
> > web tab was "My current Home page", so nothing to delete. It was already
> > unchecked too. Any other ideas? Thanks again.
> >

> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> See if this helps:
> >>
> >> Open Control Panel, double-click Display.
> >> Click the Desktop tab, and choose "Customize Desktop".
> >> Select the "Web" tab
> >> Delete all the items except "My current Home page"
> >> Uncheck "My current Home page"
> >> Click OK, and now select a picture for the Desktop background
> >> Click OK and close the dialog.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh Srinivasan
> >> MS-MVP, Windows Shell
> >>
> >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> >> http://www.winhelponline.com
> >>
> >> "rotrdera" <rotrdera@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 2:55:38 AM

You're welcome. BTW, which one helped?

--

> Thank you, problem solved!! Brilliant!
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> rotrdera,
>>
>> Are you using third-party themes / enhancers, or any utility (provided
>> with
>> your graphics card) running ? See if switching to Windows XP Theme helps.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh Srinivasan
>> MS-MVP, Windows Shell
>>
>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
>> http://www.winhelponline.com
>>
>> "rotrdera" <rotrdera@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately this did not help. The only item
>> > on
>> > the
>> > web tab was "My current Home page", so nothing to delete. It was
>> > already
>> > unchecked too. Any other ideas? Thanks again.

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 7:22:02 AM

It seems to be the theme was changed. When I switched it back to the windows
XP theme, it all appeaerd to return to normal. Thsi morning when I switched
on, however, it had reverted back to the new theme? I have have tried it
again and all now seems fine. I recently installed a new camera and
software, so this is probably what has caused this. Hopefully all will be ok
now. Thanks again.

June 10, 2005 11:12:58 PM

Thanks for posting back!

--