Desktop background not displaying

I cannot get any of the desktop background images to display. I have not had
this problem before, and change the image regularly. Today it is just a
blank screen, and I cannot 're-activate' it. On the display control panel
window the preview shows correctly. When I select any of the options and
click apply, nothing changes on the actual desktop. I don't know what else
to try. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated? Thanks!
7 answers Last reply
More about desktop background displaying

    See if this helps:

    Open Control Panel, double-click Display.
    Click the Desktop tab, and choose "Customize Desktop".
    Select the "Web" tab
    Delete all the items except "My current Home page"
    Uncheck "My current Home page"
    Click OK, and now select a picture for the Desktop background
    Click OK and close the dialog.

    --
    Ramesh Srinivasan
    MS-MVP, Windows Shell

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com

    "rotrdera" <rotrdera@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
    >I cannot get any of the desktop background images to display. I have not
    >had
    > this problem before, and change the image regularly. Today it is just a
    > blank screen, and I cannot 're-activate' it. On the display control panel
    > window the preview shows correctly. When I select any of the options and
    > click apply, nothing changes on the actual desktop. I don't know what
    > else
    > to try. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated? Thanks!

    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately this did not help. The only item on the
    web tab was "My current Home page", so nothing to delete. It was already
    unchecked too. Any other ideas? Thanks again.

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > See if this helps:
    >
    > Open Control Panel, double-click Display.
    > Click the Desktop tab, and choose "Customize Desktop".
    > Select the "Web" tab
    > Delete all the items except "My current Home page"
    > Uncheck "My current Home page"
    > Click OK, and now select a picture for the Desktop background
    > Click OK and close the dialog.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh Srinivasan
    > MS-MVP, Windows Shell
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    >
    > "rotrdera" <rotrdera@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
    > >I cannot get any of the desktop background images to display. I have not
    > >had
    > > this problem before, and change the image regularly. Today it is just a
    > > blank screen, and I cannot 're-activate' it. On the display control panel
    > > window the preview shows correctly. When I select any of the options and
    > > click apply, nothing changes on the actual desktop. I don't know what
    > > else
    > > to try. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated? Thanks!

    rotrdera,

    Are you using third-party themes / enhancers, or any utility (provided with
    your graphics card) running ? See if switching to Windows XP Theme helps.

    --

    > Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately this did not help. The only item on
    > the
    > web tab was "My current Home page", so nothing to delete. It was already
    > unchecked too. Any other ideas? Thanks again.
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> See if this helps:
    >>
    >> Open Control Panel, double-click Display.
    >> Click the Desktop tab, and choose "Customize Desktop".
    >> Select the "Web" tab
    >> Delete all the items except "My current Home page"
    >> Uncheck "My current Home page"
    >> Click OK, and now select a picture for the Desktop background
    >> Click OK and close the dialog.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh Srinivasan
    >> MS-MVP, Windows Shell
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >>
    >> "rotrdera" <rotrdera@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
    >> >I cannot get any of the desktop background images to display. I have
    >> >not
    >> >had
    >> > this problem before, and change the image regularly. Today it is just
    >> > blank screen, and I cannot 're-activate' it. On the display control
    >> > panel
    >> > window the preview shows correctly. When I select any of the options
    >> > and
    >> > click apply, nothing changes on the actual desktop. I don't know what
    >> > else
    >> > to try. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated? Thanks!

    Thank you, problem solved!! Brilliant!

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > rotrdera,
    >
    > Are you using third-party themes / enhancers, or any utility (provided with
    > your graphics card) running ? See if switching to Windows XP Theme helps.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh Srinivasan
    > MS-MVP, Windows Shell
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    >
    > "rotrdera" <rotrdera@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately this did not help. The only item on
    > > the
    > > web tab was "My current Home page", so nothing to delete. It was already
    > > unchecked too. Any other ideas? Thanks again.
    > >

    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> See if this helps:
    > >>
    > >> Open Control Panel, double-click Display.
    > >> Click the Desktop tab, and choose "Customize Desktop".
    > >> Select the "Web" tab
    > >> Delete all the items except "My current Home page"
    > >> Uncheck "My current Home page"
    > >> Click OK, and now select a picture for the Desktop background
    > >> Click OK and close the dialog.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh Srinivasan
    > >> MS-MVP, Windows Shell
    > >>
    > >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    > >>
    > >> "rotrdera" <rotrdera@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message

    You're welcome. BTW, which one helped?

    --

    > Thank you, problem solved!! Brilliant!
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> rotrdera,
    >>
    >> Are you using third-party themes / enhancers, or any utility (provided
    >> with
    >> your graphics card) running ? See if switching to Windows XP Theme helps.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh Srinivasan
    >> MS-MVP, Windows Shell
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >>
    >> "rotrdera" <rotrdera@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately this did not help. The only item
    >> > on
    >> > the
    >> > web tab was "My current Home page", so nothing to delete. It was
    >> > already
    >> > unchecked too. Any other ideas? Thanks again.

    It seems to be the theme was changed. When I switched it back to the windows
    XP theme, it all appeaerd to return to normal. Thsi morning when I switched
    on, however, it had reverted back to the new theme? I have have tried it
    again and all now seems fine. I recently installed a new camera and
    software, so this is probably what has caused this. Hopefully all will be ok
    now. Thanks again.

    Thanks for posting back!

    --

    > It seems to be the theme was changed. When I switched it back to the
    > windows
    > XP theme, it all appeaerd to return to normal. Thsi morning when I
    > switched
    > on, however, it had reverted back to the new theme? I have have tried it
    > again and all now seems fine. I recently installed a new camera and
    > software, so this is probably what has caused this. Hopefully all will be
    > ok
    > now. Thanks again.
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> You're welcome. BTW, which one helped?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh Srinivasan
    >> MS-MVP, Windows Shell
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >>
    >> "rotrdera" <rotrdera@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
    >> > Thank you, problem solved!! Brilliant!

Configuration Desktops Customization Microsoft Windows XP Displays